• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2014 5:12 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 17, 2013
457 posts
81 upvotes
Sarnia
I would say The Beer Store is equally if not the bigger scam.
Niklasky wrote: LCBO is the biggest scam in the province of Ontario. They're expensive, offer little variety or choice, close early on week-ends and their staff is not knowledgeable and incapable of giving advice to customers. These criticisms are only valid when they are not on strike.
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2004
2276 posts
224 upvotes
Niklasky wrote: ...In other words for the exact same product, coming from the same place, we are paying 20% more than Americans.

What's the justification in that ?
They know most Canadians are weak and meek and just shrug their shoulders and bend over.
Jul 14, 2014
814 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Canadians never complain. I've never seen anyone raising their voice in a store to express their complaint in Canada. You see it all the time in the US or in Europe.
Dec 19, 2012
60 posts
4 upvotes
hi_rbais wrote: the govt. should do something about price of gas. the price is low now a days but usually it is way higher than in the states. al this commotion about price by the govt seems like a trick because the elections are near.
Have you looked into the tax rate we pay in Canada on gas?

That's why it's so much more money.

And no, the govt will not lower gas taxes since they make an unbelievable amount of money off them.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2731 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
My solution for the interim is to build a list of items you need that are cheaper in the US / NY,
and make it an over-nighter at a reasonably priced hotel for the 200.00 duty free allowance
for 24 hours. If you can swing a 2-nighter, that's 800.00 each !

You can buy a lot of groceries and necessities that are dramatically cheaper there.
The savings in gas and shopping will easily pay for the hotel stay and you just might have a bit of
a vacation while at it !!
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1263 posts
1595 upvotes
Niklasky wrote: LCBO is the biggest scam in the province of Ontario. They're expensive, offer little variety or choice, close early on week-ends and their staff is not knowledgeable and incapable of giving advice to customers. These criticisms are only valid when they are not on strike.
Clearly you've never dealt with the SAQ in Quebec
Jul 14, 2014
814 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RaphaelG041 wrote: Clearly you've never dealt with the SAQ in Quebec
Yeah but you see, that's the thing. In Quebec, you don't have to buy from the SAQ. You can get beer and wine at Costco and you get a decent selection of alcohol and beer at your local "dépanneur". Whereas here in Ontario, you pretty much have to buy from the LCBO, there is no choice. Actually there is an alternative for beer, it's the Beer Store, but I really don't like overpaying my stuff from a bunch of thieves that don't allow competition.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19166 posts
1662 upvotes
Appliances are HUGE with this as I recently found out. Take an LG fridge that costs $1899 in Canada, the identical fridge will be $1399 in the USA. Why can they get away with it? Because fridges are too expensive and PITA for cross border shopping, and because of no warranty. It's nothing but gouging. And because all appliance vendors do it, it is quiet collusion.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4227 posts
861 upvotes
Ottawa
Businesses are going to whatever they can to make a buck and as many bucks as possible. Conversely, there are dumb consumers out there that constantly fall for this crap. That's why sabre rattling like this from government is useless; there is no amount of legislation that can solve this problem for every idiot shopper out there.

Consumers educating themselves and shopping around and using websites like RFD is important to finding the best deal.

More and more my family is turning to buying and selling of used items to avoid the retail markup and obscene sales taxes.
Jul 14, 2014
814 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Personally I only ever buy when things are one sale. I never ever pay full MSRP for anything. If I need something right away, for example last year my washing machine broke and I have to replace it asap, I went looking for the best deal of the moment and I was lucky because it happened to be on Black Friday week, so I got a good deal.

I bought my car at the end of the year, benefitting from the sales on the outgoing model year that the dealers wanted to clear out their lots.

Like anything of a certain value, a TV, an appliance, an expensive pieces of equipment, a computer or tablet, my son's Britax car seat (still waiting for TRU to ship it), even toys for the kids' christmas, I always wait for deals and sales before buying anything. Matter of fact, I wonder if anyone is silly enough to buy things at full price.

If everyone was doing the same, manufacturers and retailers would lower their prices.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2731 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga
The current government is posturing themselves in the public eye, as they have done many times before.
They are hoping that an implied goverment response to higher prices will be enough to scare the manufacturers and retailers in dropping
prices to a more competitive level. Kind of like hoping the dog's bark will be worse than the bite. NOT !

Avoid higher priced stores where possible
Shop mostly for items when on sale
Buy only what you need when it is not on sale
Stock up on those regular necessities when they are on sale
Use coupons, collect points by paying with a credit card whenever possible.
Price match
Remember the SCOP- scanning code of practice- never forget it.
Ask for discounts- they can only say no !

RFD'ers, please feel free to add to this "to do " list for everyone's benefit.
MacGyver wrote: Businesses are going to whatever they can to make a buck and as many bucks as possible. Conversely, there are dumb consumers out there that constantly fall for this crap. That's why sabre rattling like this from government is useless; there is no amount of legislation that can solve this problem for every idiot shopper out there.

Consumers educating themselves and shopping around and using websites like RFD is important to finding the best deal.

More and more my family is turning to buying and selling of used items to avoid the retail markup and obscene sales taxes.