Amazon.com

OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPhone 5, Black ~$20-$26 after PM FS YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2013 8:07 pm
[OP]
Feb 21, 2009
383 posts
476 upvotes

[Amazon.com] OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPhone 5, Black ~$20-$26 after PM FS YMMV

Just came across this on Amazon while looking for iPhone 5 cases. Its $23.99+$6.49 = $30.48 on Amazon and Future Shop has it for $59.99 .

If CSR miss the shipping charges on Amazon then you may get it for ~$20+ taxes, otherwise $26.43+taxes. Seems to be a warm to hot deal. Hopefully not a repost !!

Image Image
25 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4407 posts
1863 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
I've gone through four of three cases (the first being purchased, the next two being warranty replacements). In all cases, the outside silicone becomes incredibly flimsy after just a few months of everyday, non-rough use. It eventually gets to the point where the silicone starts tearing in certain areas (particularly on the flaps covering the silence button and the recharge/data port).

Actually, now that I think about it, I've gone through four of these. The first was a cheap, Chinese knock-off ordered off eBay. At the time, I wrote off it being a piece of crap to the fact that it was a knock-off. It turns out, that wasn't why it was crap at all. To their credit, the knock-off was just as ***** as the real thing.

In short: these cases are absolute pieces of ***** and I do not recommend them to anybody.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2231 posts
515 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Russell wrote: I've gone through four of three cases (the first being purchased, the next two being warranty replacements). In all cases, the outside silicone becomes incredibly flimsy after just a few months of everyday, non-rough use. It eventually gets to the point where the silicone starts tearing in certain areas (particularly on the flaps covering the silence button and the recharge/data port).

Actually, now that I think about it, I've gone through four of these. The first was a cheap, Chinese knock-off ordered off eBay. At the time, I wrote off it being a piece of crap to the fact that it was a knock-off. It turns out, that wasn't why it was crap at all. To their credit, the knock-off was just as ***** as the real thing.

In short: these cases are absolute pieces of ***** and I do not recommend them to anybody.
If you're talking about the Otterbox defender for the iPhone 4/4S then I totally agree, I went through 3 myself before giving up. BTW, the picture in the OP is of the older defender (for the 4/4S).

However, the Defender for the iPhone 5 is totally different. They changed everything about them. I've had mine for two weeks now and I can't believe the same company made these. The outer rubber slip-on is totally different now, very firm and doesn't attract lint anymore. The port covers actually get secured in place now as opposed to on the 4/4S where they opened on their own. The screen protector is also very clear on the 5, it was garbage on the 4. I love this case, which is something I couldn't even imagine saying after owning the old defender.

It was selling for $39 from Amazon.ca (directly, not through a reseller), which FS matched for me a few weeks back, but I may try to get a price match done on this price. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4407 posts
1863 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Rob76 wrote: If you're talking about the Otterbox defender for the iPhone 4/4S then I totally agree, I went through 3 myself before giving up. BTW, the picture in the OP is of the older defender (for the 4/4S).

However, the Defender for the iPhone 5 is totally different. They changed everything about them. I've had mine for two weeks now and I can't believe the same company made these. The outer rubber slip-on is totally different now, very firm and doesn't attract lint anymore. The port covers actually get secured in place now as opposed to on the 4/4S where they opened on their own. The screen protector is also very clear on the 5, it was garbage on the 4. I love this case, which is something I couldn't even imagine saying after owning the old defender.

To the OP, you must have gotten them to match Amazon.com pricing? I only got them to match Amazon.ca's price which was $39. Your deal is obviously much better.

Hmmm, Yes I'm talking about the 4S version. I saw the picture in the OP and assumed it was the same case, extended to fix the 5. If they have actually revamped it to, well, not be a complete and utter POS, then perhaps there's hope.

Also, you're right about the screen protector. I forgot to complain about that part.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2231 posts
515 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Russell wrote: Hmmm, Yes I'm talking about the 4S version. I saw the picture in the OP and assumed it was the same case, extended to fix the 5. If they have actually revamped it to, well, not be a complete and utter POS, then perhaps there's hope.

Also, you're right about the screen protector. I forgot to complain about that part.
Yes, believe me give the new Defender a try (if you have an iPhone 5), totally different case. Like I said, I can't believe Otterbox made the new ones, they're built so differently and the material is night and day.
[OP]
Feb 21, 2009
383 posts
476 upvotes
Rob76 wrote: If you're talking about the Otterbox defender for the iPhone 4/4S then I totally agree, I went through 3 myself before giving up. BTW, the picture in the OP is of the older defender (for the 4/4S).

It was selling for $39 from Amazon.ca (directly, not through a reseller), which FS matched for me a few weeks back, but I may try to get a price match done on this price. Thanks OP.
Thanks for pointing out about 4S picture which, was from FS shown as iPhone 5 case. Just posted the one from Amazon, hopefully that's a right one !!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
171 upvotes

I can confirm this. I had defender for iphone 4 and the rubber that comes with it is no good... The iphone 5 version of the defender is way better! Btw, all the Ladies will tell you to get a better case b/c is plain ugly...

This is a great deal, i bought mine for $49.99 plus tax.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1145 posts
325 upvotes
Ottawa
Shows as $23.99 for me....NOT $22.99 as OP states. Please fix your post.

Order Summary
Items: CDN$ 23.99
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 6.49
Total before tax: CDN$ 30.48
GST: CDN$ 0.00
PST: CDN$ 0.00
Order Total: CDN$ 30.48
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2231 posts
515 upvotes
Vancouver Island
jasmeet|_9sb wrote: Thanks for pointing out about 4S picture which, was from FS shown as iPhone 5 case. Just posted the one from Amazon, hopefully that's a right one !!
Yep, you now have the right picture(s).
[OP]
Feb 21, 2009
383 posts
476 upvotes
Revblonde wrote: Shows as $23.99 for me....NOT $22.99 as OP states. Please fix your post.

Order Summary
They raised it by $1, it was $22.99 when I posted.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1145 posts
325 upvotes
Ottawa
jasmeet|_9sb wrote: They raised it by $1, it was $22.99 when I posted.
Still should update your post if you know $22.99 is not the price.
Dec 11, 2012
121 posts
5 upvotes
Revblonde wrote: Shows as $23.99 for me....NOT $22.99 as OP states. Please fix your post.

Order Summary
no tax on amazon?

btw i don't think its directly from amazon, there maybe a chance its not genuine.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1145 posts
325 upvotes
Ottawa
mytalk wrote: no tax on amazon?
Good question. Didn't notice that. Hmmm. Seems a bit sketchy.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2006
2377 posts
434 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
It's not Amazon - it's someone who is selling on Amazon marketplace.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1145 posts
325 upvotes
Ottawa
blairs1 wrote: It's not Amazon - it's someone who is selling on Amazon marketplace.
Even still...no tax? Don't they have to be legitimate businesses to sell on amazon? Is it like eBay where anyone can sell?
Dec 11, 2012
121 posts
5 upvotes
Revblonde wrote: Even still...no tax? Don't they have to be legitimate businesses to sell on amazon? Is it like eBay where anyone can sell?
i believe its similar to ebay. you can sell it as used or new as long as u register as an seller
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1145 posts
325 upvotes
Ottawa
mytalk wrote: i believe its similar to ebay. you can sell it as used or new as long as u register as an seller
Makes sense then :)
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2231 posts
515 upvotes
Vancouver Island
That's the one thing to be concerned about when buying from a online third party reseller rather than Amazon directly, that you might be getting a fake. Otterbox cases, namely the defender series, is one of the most counterfeited cases out there. I've seen a couple of amazing looking fakes with Otterbox packaging at a local cell repair store here in Alberta, even the new 5 series case, where it's really hard to tell them apart.

Anyhow, in this case we're price matching Amazon's seller price which worked for the OP. I'm going to try to do a Price Protection tomorrow on the two cases we bought a couple of weeks ago for $39 each. It's a worth a try.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
I was lucky enough to get this for my wife via an Amerifriend thru Amazon last week for $17 all in. How they can cost $60++ up here is robbery.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1145 posts
325 upvotes
Ottawa
hoponpop wrote: I was lucky enough to get this for my wife via an Amerifriend thru Amazon last week for $17 all in. How they can cost $60++ up here is robbery.
Agreed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)