• Jul 15th, 2020 10:57 am
[OP]
Aug 28, 2014
102 posts
86 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

Our Lexus was stolen out of the driveway

Happened a few weeks ago.

Stolen right out of the driveway. Thief broke into the car with some sort of tool. Came back 20 minutes after and took the whole car. (Guessing he thought maybe someone spotted him?) Probably took 10 minutes total for him to break in and start the car minus that

Cops showed up to the door basically laughing at the situation, said to go through insurance.

Needless to say we bought an Audi after that. Lexus IS aware of the issue and never disclosed any information to us even though they are supposed to (internal email within Lexus). Happened to another neighbor as well. Apparently it’s super easy for these thieves to locate keys within the house and program them somehow to start these cars remotely. Rip
Images
  • 3A0983F7-FBE2-42EB-AE2E-D20EFAB23F69.jpeg
240 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29568 posts
15369 upvotes
Toronto
the lesson of the day ... park the audi inside the garage. If this happens again, your insurance will find an easy way to either drop you or increase your premium (indirectly) next year.

just curious op, you already knew Lexus is a very way too easy and favorite target vehicle to steal (for the last 6-7 yrs) and yet you leave it on the driveway, rather than inside the garage. I am just stumped.
Last edited by booblehead on Aug 3rd, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4164 posts
4362 upvotes
Look at it this way.

They saved you from the typical ownership experience of a Japanese rustbucket.

/s?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2014
102 posts
86 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
booblehead wrote: the lesson of the day ... park the audi inside the garage. If this happens again, your insurance will find an easy way to either drop you or increase your premium (indirectly) next year.

just curious op, you already knew Lexus is a very way too easy and favorite target vehicle to steal (for the last 6-7 yrs) and yet you leave it on the driveway, rather than inside the garage. I am just stumped.
We didn’t know this.

Regardless: the s6/ GT is in the garage and there’s no more space in the garage
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1916 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
Lexus should have a dashcam with sentry mode like Teslas do that record theft and vandalism. Unfortunately the police do not follow up on these crimes thus allowing the thieves to continue stealing. I had a friend whose car was stolen and he could locate it on his phone, and he told the police who didn't bother following up till days later. By that time the car was gone, probably overseas or chopped up.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1270 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
Bull Dog wrote: Lexus should have a dashcam with sentry mode like Teslas do that record theft and vandalism. Unfortunately the police do not follow up on these crimes thus allowing the thieves to continue stealing. I had a friend whose car was stolen and he could locate it on his phone, and he told the police who didn't bother following up till days later. By that time the car was gone, probably overseas or chopped up.
Which is ridiculous, if police can't bother with a crime of something worth $50k+ then what are they actually doing?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4164 posts
4362 upvotes
someone16 wrote: Which is ridiculous, if police can't bother with a crime of something worth $50k+ then what are they actually doing?
Checking your tint and writing tickets.

;)
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4308 posts
4463 upvotes
GTA
Bull Dog wrote: Unfortunately the police do not follow up on these crimes thus allowing the thieves to continue stealing.
I wouldn't say that. It was just in the news last week that the police busted a large auto theft ring.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/toron ... theft-ring

But yeah, auto manufacturers have to do something ASAP about how these types of cars are being stolen so easily (copying the key's RFID remotely, hacking the OBD port, etc.)
Oct 3, 2017
989 posts
828 upvotes
someone16 wrote: Which is ridiculous, if police can't bother with a crime of something worth $50k+ then what are they actually doing?
They are parked at 3 in the morning under a bridge facing a downhill section of road making you safe from all the people going 15kmph over.

Once I had my van broken into for the 3rd time to steal the contents and stereo and I had just washed it. The broken area was covered in visible fingerprints. Took me a lot of hassling just to get a detective to lift the prints. He said at the time that the techs had been severely cut back (this was quite a while ago, don't think things have improved.)
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1916 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: I wouldn't say that. It was just in the news last week that the police busted a large auto theft ring.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/toron ... theft-ring

But yeah, auto manufacturers have to do something ASAP about how these types of cars are being stolen so easily (copying the key's RFID remotely, hacking the OBD port, etc.)
That's a good start, but they could do better.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4201 posts
2596 upvotes
Ontario
Another stolen Lexus thread.

Pays to come on RFD to read as well as post - then Lexus might have been in the garage.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16800 posts
18496 upvotes
Oakville
It's not that hard to have an extra layer of security installed that could prevent this. Pull a fuse, or have a secret cut off switch installed.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: the lesson of the day ... park the audi inside the garage. If this happens again, your insurance will find an easy way to either drop you or increase your premium (indirectly) next year.

Im stumped at your ridiculous notion that OP is to blame here because some criminal stole his car. Why stop there, tell him to take TTC so he doesn't bait criminals again.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4201 posts
2596 upvotes
Ontario
MusicBox wrote: Im stumped at your ridiculous notion that OP is to blame here because some criminal stole his car. Why stop there, tell him to take TTC so he doesn't bait criminals again.
Unfortunately simply being in the right and not to blame doesn't always yield you the best outcome.

Hence the saying "God helps those who help themselves".
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29568 posts
15369 upvotes
Toronto
MusicBox wrote: Im stumped at your ridiculous notion that OP is to blame here because some criminal stole his car. Why stop there, tell him to take TTC so he doesn't bait criminals again.
So, what does ttc has to do with situation ? Now, I really am stumped Thinking Face.

Perhaps, I could have said ... it looks like op has a double garage and judging the 2 cars are parked outside, so if I am to assumed both garage spaces are not being utilized at all, then the Lexus theft could have been deterred/avoided.

If op does own 4 cars or more, then i guess the Lexus theft would be a matter of bad luck, I guess.
Last edited by booblehead on Aug 3rd, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4164 posts
4362 upvotes
Life is about mitigating risk. No one is victim blaming here.

This is, what, the 42nd thread about Lexus's being jacked right from under people's noses? You can choose to not do anything about it, but for the informed consumer who may want to keep his Lexus, well....

As opposed to just shouting from the top of your lungs to stop victim blaming maybe you ought to calm down a bit here?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4565 posts
3792 upvotes
Oakville, ON
AaronGG wrote: Happened a few weeks ago.

Stolen right out of the driveway. Thief broke into the car with some sort of tool. Came back 20 minutes after and took the whole car. (Guessing he thought maybe someone spotted him?) Probably took 10 minutes total for him to break in and start the car minus that

Cops showed up to the door basically laughing at the situation, said to go through insurance.

Needless to say we bought an Audi after that. Lexus IS aware of the issue and never disclosed any information to us even though they are supposed to (internal email within Lexus). Happened to another neighbor as well. Apparently it’s super easy for these thieves to locate keys within the house and program them somehow to start these cars remotely. Rip
Audi and most other bigger ticket vehicles are also susceptible to this nowadays so don’t rest too easy. Granted the Audi is a somewhat harder target than Lexus, but the same general concept is at play. There’s a few different approaches but essentially they’re boosting or cloning the proximity signal from the key and then repeating at the vehicle door which then unlocks just as if the actual key was beside the vehicle. MB, BMW, etc with proximity door locks and push button start are all prone to some degree. Lexus, however, are apparently the easiest targets.

Defences include not leaving your keys near the front door with your vehicle in the drive - easy clone/boost target. Better yet, create a routine to put the keys in a faraday bag or faraday box when you come home. That stops the signal from being available. And of course, park in your garage!
[OP]
Aug 28, 2014
102 posts
86 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
angryaudifanatic wrote: Life is about mitigating risk. No one is victim blaming here.

This is, what, the 42nd thread about Lexus's being jacked right from under people's noses? You can choose to not do anything about it, but for the informed consumer who may want to keep his Lexus, well....

As opposed to just shouting from the top of your lungs to stop victim blaming maybe you ought to calm down a bit here?
Exactly. We didn’t know Lexus vehicles were easy targets, most of the general population does not know this. The dealership did not warn us of anything as well.

We now have an extra layer of defense installed in the cars and all of our keys unfortunately are put into a metal storage container.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4308 posts
4463 upvotes
GTA
CanadianLurker wrote: Defences include not leaving your keys near the front door with your vehicle in the drive - easy clone/boost target. Better yet, create a routine to put the keys in a faraday bag or faraday box when you come home. That stops the signal from being available. And of course, park in your garage!
This is what I would do if I had one of these cars. I'm already in the routine of putting my keys in the same place every time I come home.

Might not work for everyone though. For example: those that put their keys anywhere, and never know where they are...