• May 16th, 2019 11:47 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1548 posts
1 upvote

Out of warranty TV repair in the GTA?

Hey everyone,

While watching TV today the bottom half of my LCD TV went dark. The image still shows up but it's very dark. I think the backlight has burnt out. The TV still works great but I'd like to try getting it repaired before I dump a large sum on a new model. Would anyone here know of any reputable repair shops in GTA? Preferably in the Brampton / Mississauga area?

When it went out I was watching CP24, blinked and just all of a sudden noticed that text on the bottom was dark. There was no flash or black screen. I thought maybe Rogers' menu was stuck opening up or something. I switched it off and on then put it on my chromecast input and took a picture of it. I've attached said picture.

Thanks!
Images
  • IMG_20190514_210203.jpg
Heatware: EGM92 38-0-0
Contests:
Be The First to Play X360 console winner! OCT 22 1-2am
Pepsi "Win Every Hour" Contest Winner: Xbox360 Oct30 12-1am
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5760 posts
540 upvotes
Toronto
Not an expert but backlight effects the whole screen - It can't go off for part of screen. What I understand its either cable (cheap fix) or Actual LCD (v.expensive fix).
Unless someone has lot of experience, it has to be open to know whats going on.

Google the exact model # to see if its a common issue and maybe they will tell you most likely fix. 90% of times its not worth fixing TV these days.

I know there is this one shop who I used to give me electronics and they will fix it most of time. I have to physically go there , I know where it is - don't remember anything else about it lol. I will post here if I can track them again.
For Sale:
  • Powerful Constant Lights for Events / Photography
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1548 posts
1 upvote
The TV has an LED backlight array, there's a bunch of LED strips behind the panel.
Heatware: EGM92 38-0-0
Contests:
Be The First to Play X360 console winner! OCT 22 1-2am
Pepsi "Win Every Hour" Contest Winner: Xbox360 Oct30 12-1am
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
You didn't mention how old the panel was.... LED vs Cold Cathode tube backlights. Clearly one set at the bottom has died; replacement parts are available with a Google search and if you DIY beware the other lights are probably end of life, and full replacement of all the lights would be prudent. The cost of replacement varies but sub $100 would be typical if you have the time/effort, getting someone else to do this for you would put the price of repair into cheap new panel range.

if it's LED then the bottom thread died, with cathode tubes, the bottom tube. Check this thread for the youtube it pretty well points out what you have to do http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-e ... #p30921902
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12051 posts
6934 upvotes
Markham
With TV prices today...IMO replace it unless it's a very easy and cheap fix.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2169 posts
1055 upvotes
Saint John
gr8dlr wrote: With TV prices today...IMO replace it unless it's a very easy and cheap fix.
Isn't the Hitachi brand for TVs similar to "RCA," "Polaroid" and the like -- i.e. old brand names picked up by budget manufacturers? (I know Hitachi is still a successful company, but I don't think they really focus on televisions anymore.) If it is in fact a low-end TV, the most sensible course of action might be selling it for $20 to someone who knows how to fix TVs and just buying a new one.

I noticed that my local Costco finally has an OLED model on the shelf -- 55-incher at $1550. OLED is finally starting to enter the mainstream. Now if only I had a chance of convincing the wife... maybe it will soon be time for "one of the kids" to accidentally throw a heavy toy at my plasma. I'm guessing OP wouldn't want to spend anywhere near that on a new TV, but you can get something surprisingly good for $500 these days.