Computers & Electronics

Out of warranty WD Red drive failing, options?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 9:46 am
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
69 posts
20 upvotes

Out of warranty WD Red drive failing, options?

Hi,

I have a WD Red 6tb (WD60EFRX) bought on 12/30/2015, which is now out of warranty (3 years). The drive is starting to fail, my Synology NAS reports bad sectors and I/O failures.

Obviously it's too late for the standard warranty (RMA) with Western Digital. However, I'm wondering if I can have it replaced under my Visa card warranty. Does anyone had experience with that previously?

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
SiLiZiUMM wrote: Hi,

I have a WD Red 6tb (WD60EFRX) bought on 12/30/2015, which is now out of warranty (3 years). The drive is starting to fail, my Synology NAS reports bad sectors and I/O failures.

Obviously it's too late for the standard warranty (RMA) with Western Digital. However, I'm wondering if I can have it replaced under my Visa card warranty. Does anyone had experience with that previously?

Thanks!
Lucky for you, you used a credit card and can use their extended 1 year warranty, right?
Jun 18, 2008
405 posts
142 upvotes
Calgary
If your CC has extended warranty then you can claim it with their insurance. I just did it, about month ago, for the same drive. Got every penny back. That was through MasterCard and Allianz.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
69 posts
20 upvotes
753951 wrote: If your CC has extended warranty then you can claim it with their insurance. I just did it, about month ago, for the same drive. Got every penny back. That was through MasterCard and Allianz.
Thanks for the info, that's what I will try to do. Did you need to provide a written repair quote with your claim?
Jun 18, 2008
405 posts
142 upvotes
Calgary
No. Original receipt, CC statement and WD warranty where it says drive has 3 yr manufacturer warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2947 upvotes
if it is allianz then they will require a quote from WD saying how much to repair or replace. If it costs less than retail you paid then that's the amount they will give you. Best you email WD or call them and record their answer. They will also want your receipt from the store, along with the cc statement that shows the transaction.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7977 posts
2670 upvotes
Maple
Who has original receipt from 3 years ago? I usually put the receipt in the box.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
69 posts
20 upvotes
Since I ordered on Newegg.ca, it's easy it's an e-mail in my Gmail account!

Thanks for the WD support tip, I'll do that as well.