Outdoor Firepit Table

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2021 1:33 pm
[OP]
Jan 7, 2019
368 posts
373 upvotes

Outdoor Firepit Table

Summer is just around the corner and I'm looking to get a nice firepit table for my backyard.

I've seen lots of different BTU ratings but not sure which ones would be suitable to stay warm with for late spring, summer, early fall in Toronto.

Anyone have any recommendations on BTU rating and/or firepit tables?
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2316 posts
1383 upvotes
GTA
If you're in Toronto as you noted, open air fire pits are banned.

https://www.toronto.ca/community-people ... r-burning/

I looked into one and found this info. I even overheard a Home Depot rep telling another customer that you CAN buy one from Home Depot, but you may get call if you have one and you get called on it by your neighbours.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7326 posts
1886 upvotes
We have a firepit table. But I can tell you that from the warming perspective, it's not great. Most heat rises up, particularly if you put a glass surround on it (if you don't, wind blowing makes it a bit dangerous if you put a cup on the side as fire can be blown sideway). However, it's great and amazing to look at. Just don't expect getting a lot of heat from it, particularly when you sit a couple feet away leaning back on your chair or couch. Mine is connected to the natural gas line, so never have to change propane.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1739 upvotes
Clarington, ON
exrcoupe wrote: If you're in Toronto as you noted, open air fire pits are banned.

I looked into one and found this info. I even overheard a Home Depot rep telling another customer that you CAN buy one from Home Depot, but you may get call if you have one and you get called on it by your neighbours.
OP referenced BTU output which would suggest they intend to purchase a fuel burning appliance, not a wood burning one. These are allowed in Toronto (and generally everywhere - even during burn bans). See Toronto flyer at bottom of page.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
BrokeMillennial wrote: Summer is just around the corner and I'm looking to get a nice firepit table for my backyard.

I've seen lots of different BTU ratings but not sure which ones would be suitable to stay warm with for late spring, summer, early fall in Toronto.

Anyone have any recommendations on BTU rating and/or firepit tables?
I got one back in 2019 on clearance at the home depot for $300, 3x3ft, regular pricing was like $1700, it's about 50,000btu. I use it on propane and the tank is in the table.

If it is under a gazebo or something, you don't need anything remotely high in btu as spring/summer/fall evenings in Toronto are not freezing cold.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/real-f ... 1001186497
Last edited by koffey on May 6th, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Jan 7, 2019
368 posts
373 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: If you're in Toronto as you noted, open air fire pits are banned.

Hi there,

Yeah i did some research and found open fire pits using wood as fuel is not allowed...unfortunately :(.

I'm looking for a propane option.
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23534 posts
22497 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
koffey wrote: I got one back in 2019 on clearance at the home depot for $300, 3x3ft, regular pricing was like $1700, it's about 50,000btu. I use it on propane and the tank is in the table.

If it is under a gazebo or something, you don't need anything remotely high in btu as spring/summer/fall evenings in Toronto are not freezing cold.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/real-f ... 1001186497
This

Our set up is similar. It’s inside a gazebo.
Ours is higher BTUs though, maybe 60,000 or 75,000 ... and we use it year round.
As our Gazebo functions in various modes ... open - bug screens - privacy / shade curtains - and winter cover
https://www.lowes.ca/product/gazebo-par ... -330727491

The curtains / winter cover helps hold the heat in ... but still provide necessary air flow
Can be quite cozy out there

Best thing ever.

Between the Firepit & the Gazebo our backyard is now an outdoor room March thru December.
We sit out there regularly except for the absolute coldest days here in Eastern Ontario (primarily January & February )

In TO / GTA you’ll be laughing ... as it’s much milder there

We got it about 10 years ago @ Rona, for about $ 500 on sale
It’s a metal base & solid granite top

If I tried to buy it now ... I’d have to go to a specialty Patio Shop or a BBQ / Fireplace store
And it would be way beyond $ 1000
In fact I saw one quite similar on line for almost $ 2000

TIP ... Shop around. Watch for sales. Buy the best you can afford
It’s an investment piece
Last edited by PointsHubby on May 6th, 2021 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dec 26, 2012
673 posts
616 upvotes
Hamilton
from what I read, a propane one will give off more heat than a Natural Gas one. If you're looking to use it for heat, you may want to put it under a gazebo of some sort as the heat rises and they're not great at providing warmth.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1556 posts
800 upvotes
You can get a $500 propane firepit/table with 50,000 BTU from Rona and its in stock. I am picking mine up today. Our friend have something similar. Best heat is if its covered i.e. in a gazebo. Otherwise it still does the job but not for very cold days.
Aug 25, 2006
243 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Have one and it's mostly for ambiance. nice to chill around at night while enjoying a beer or cocktail. Have a 50000 btu unit and i can tell you straight up it is not a good source for heat as all the heat rises. Nothing comparable to a wood burning fire bowl that radiates heat everywhere (which i also have and use occasionally also). If you want heat get a patio heater. Set your expectations really low for heat output unless you have it basically enclosed under a gazebo type structure with wind screens all around to trap in heat.