• Apr 4th, 2021 6:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
20590 posts
2829 upvotes
Out west

Outdoor led strips

Had a recent deck railing replacement to glass and lost our rope light I had installed on a dusk until Midnight timer. With the glass I have no way to attach it anymore, the if I use 3M tape with the weight of the light I dont think it will last

I bought a LED strip at Costco thats good for outside, but the power adapter is so massive you cant use it in the weather proof outlets with the door.

So looking for about 20-25 feet length, but with a smaller power adapter.

If anyone has experience with any kind please let me know
2 replies
Dec 6, 2020
495 posts
470 upvotes
The power supplies for white LED tapes are reasonably generic. Any power supply that outputs the same voltage, same current type (AC vs DC) and at least the same wattage or current will work. If you can find a suitable supply you can probably use it with the Costco tape.

However, I don't know if there are wall-wart style power supplies available that will be powerful enough to drive 25 feet of LED tape and small enough to fit under the in-use cover of an outdoor receptacle.

Unless someone else can suggest an outdoor cord connected power supply, your best option is probably to put a power supply in a weather-tight enclosure and connect it to power with an outdoor extension cord. Alternatively, you could mount the power supply indoors (or under the deck) and run heavy-gauge wiring from the supply to the LED tape.

Lee Valley has indoor cord-connected 12V power supplies that may be suitable for use inside an enclosure. Search for part 00U4189. Alternatively, try DigiKey, Mouser, and the other electronic parts suppliers.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8295 posts
2916 upvotes
Maple
Try solar light strip from Amazon. I had bought couple strings from there.