• Jul 29th, 2019 4:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2349 posts
646 upvotes
Nunavut

Outdoor UV Roller Blind

Looking for options for adding a UV roller blind to the side of my deck roof to help with the late afternoon/evening sun

I've checked out the Coolaroo brand at Costco, unfortunately they only carry the one size, Home Depot and Lowes carry more sizes and a couple more colors

eg. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/coolar ... 1001106306

Unfortunately the opening from post to post on our roof is just over 12', where the largest I can find these guys is 10'.. even on the US Home Depot site where you can custom order, largest is 10'.. but many many more options

Are there other brands, stores that can be recommended? It feels like the market for these are rather small with limited options
10 replies
Sep 17, 2002
914 posts
380 upvotes
just buy the 10 as anything larger will be really expensive or a custom order which makes it expensive again.

Alternatively, two 6 is nice too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2349 posts
646 upvotes
Nunavut
iwells wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:48 pm
just buy the 10 as anything larger will be really expensive or a custom order which makes it expensive again.

Alternatively, two 6 is nice too.
Yeah, if I'm stuck with 10' as the largest then it would probably be the better option than two 6' as it looks like the installed width has an additional 3", so 1.5" on each end for the hardware.. which would mean I would have a 3" gap in the middle, and might suck having a bar of sun shooting thru

But the 10' gives me at least a foot gap on each side if I center it which might be ok but would need to test it out, biggest issue could be the bungee tie downs won't stretch that far to get to the posts, so would have to jimmy something up

Mainly just wondering what else might be out there that others have used
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33892 posts
7807 upvotes
Ottawa
We have the 10 ft Coolaroo. It is great. They have a bungee like cord o the bottom to keep it down.
!0 feet will be just fine. Our posts are 12 feet apart too but properly centered it is just fine.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2349 posts
646 upvotes
Nunavut
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 3:49 pm
We have the 10 ft Coolaroo. It is great. They have a bungee like cord o the bottom to keep it down.
!0 feet will be just fine. Our posts are 12 feet apart too but properly centered it is just fine.
Ok good to know, and enough slack on the bungee to reach the posts?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33892 posts
7807 upvotes
Ottawa
Eldorado wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 4:58 pm
Ok good to know, and enough slack on the bungee to reach the posts?
Yes, they stretch.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5456 posts
5546 upvotes
Toronto
Eldorado wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 2:41 pm
Are there other brands, stores that can be recommended? It feels like the market for these are rather small with limited options
Amazon.ca carries the Coolaroo rollers, as does Lee Valley. A has free shipping for Prime (not sure it applies to Nunavut though) -- FedEx guy showed up with an 11' box. :o
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10939 posts
8125 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We have a Coolaroo Roller Blind as well
It’s installed in our porch
Awesome product
Highly recommend

You can find them at Costco, Lowe’s, and Lee Valley seasonally
And online year round
Nov 13, 2007
269 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
How are the Coolaroo Roller Blinds for rain?
Do they prevent the rain from coming through all together or is there a fine spay that gets through?

Any recommendations for water proof blinds that look better than a shower curtain?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6024 posts
444 upvotes
BC
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 3:49 pm
We have the same one on our 12foot side of gazebo.. its awesome, works great and looks good. Have had it 3-4 years and it has no wear or colour loss, we also leave it out over the winter.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2349 posts
646 upvotes
Nunavut
hoob wrote:
Jul 24th, 2019 8:02 pm
Amazon.ca carries the Coolaroo rollers, as does Lee Valley. A has free shipping for Prime (not sure it applies to Nunavut though) -- FedEx guy showed up with an 11' box. :o
Thanks, seems to be lots of outlets for Coolaroo... just trying to expand my product research to see what else is out there, seems Coolaroo is the most common