[Outerlimits.com] Osprey Farpoint 40 backpack $125.99 40% off

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 10:37 am
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2489 posts
605 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote:

it's hard to say. this guy has a very good and detailed review of both. I prefer porter. I also have an older post detailed difference between the two.
I'll watch the link a little later.. can you quickly tell me the difference now?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2907 posts
732 upvotes
Mars
ordered porter for 99 minus 5% off signup. thanks OP. upvoted.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2907 posts
732 upvotes
Mars
Daf wrote: I'll watch the link a little later.. can you quickly tell me the difference now?
my older post

googled and found the answers by myself. in short

A. zip is lockable. PORTER has better organized compartments (front)
B. laptop compartment on the back, which is better (comparing to the farpoint, which has laptop compartment in front, which does not odd and bulky and not offer enough protection)

C. when fully loaded, FARPOINT is more comfortable for carrying around on your back and walk around, bigger, thicker straps and cushions on the back and sides.
D. when fully loaded, both MIGHT have problems for carry-on (too thick, bulky), you have to compress the bag by using the outside straps and not stuff it too full. (I sense that the airlines will likely have stricter rules after covid to recoup some of their losses) Otherwise, both are OK for carry-on.

CONS for both FARPOINT AND PORTER, no rain cover included, not like the REI. but I might still go with OSPREY. (FARPOINT has a new 2020 design, slight difference and maybe slightly better than the 2015 model, check youtube)

I almost pull the trigger, but decide to wait after checking the FAQs on thelasthunt.com and the (google) reviews of the company, which has merely 2.2/5. and almost all "NO"s in FAQ as to refunds, exchanges, etc. and nowhere mentioned the shipping during this covid period. the deals of OSPREY pops up about 4 times during the year, i will just wait for the deals in 2nd half of the year, when the situation is a bit relaxed, and shipping getting normal.
Last edited by forgetpwd on May 15th, 2020 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7131 posts
1893 upvotes
T dot 6
I have had this pack for six years (I bought it when the model was just released) and its an amazing back pack. I used it for carry on on 20+ flights and never had an issue. Side loading, comfortable hip straps, side and top handles, etc. Highly recommended.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Feb 4, 2019
265 posts
375 upvotes
Daf wrote: What's better? This one or the porter 46?
Definitely down to personal preference. Watch the video for a detailed breakdown. But off the top of my head:

Porter is bigger (technically too big for carry-on but people use it as such all the time), has a better organization pocket, and a much better laptop pocket (better location and protection).

Farpoint has a better, more supportive and comfortable harness system, and is actually carry-on size.
Feb 22, 2018
182 posts
160 upvotes
gta
The site is greyed out for me which is odd
Oct 24, 2019
11 posts
5 upvotes
I've used this backpack on 3 different extended backpacking trips (asia, central america, south america). Pair it with some packing cubes, and a small day pack, and it is absolutely the perfect travel pack. Plus it complies to carry-on standards for the majority of airlines. I'm a 6'2 210lb dude, and I was able to make it work with more than enough gear.

Most importantly, it forces you to pack smarter and lighter. And you'll be happy you did.
Mar 17, 2018
11 posts
Absolutely love my Farpoint 70. I highly recommend it to anybody for traveling, camping, etc. I use the day pack a lot just for general stuff too.
Jul 22, 2009
262 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
AGTOM83 wrote: Definitely down to personal preference. Watch the video for a detailed breakdown. But off the top of my head:

Porter is bigger (technically too big for carry-on but people use it as such all the time), has a better organization pocket, and a much better laptop pocket (better location and protection).

Farpoint has a better, more supportive and comfortable harness system, and is actually carry-on size.
If the Porter isn't overpacked, the compression straps do a great job at making it carry-on size (still a bit long, but depth is more complient). For me I prefer the Porter since I rarely carry my pack for that long. The better organization of the Porter wins it for me.

I owned both, and for me, I found the mesh pockets in the Farpoint too big, you needed an organizer to make use of them properly. The shoulder straps and hip belts are so much better. The mesh pockets on the outside are fairly useless, and the compression straps aren't quite as effective. Also find that the round shape of the main compartment wasn't as usable, and the section at the bottom wasn't quite as easy to pack.
Mar 26, 2018
57 posts
62 upvotes
Saskatoon
IN for a Farpoint 55.. 2 in 1 Backpack..
Currently I have a Thule 70L Landmark, 2 backpacks In one, which is AWESOME. But sometimes a bit too big....
[OP]
Apr 7, 2008
294 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto
Nice reminder manho!
Jan 11, 2019
70 posts
11 upvotes
I see it listed as 209.99, is this deal over?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2907 posts
732 upvotes
Mars
just received my porter 46L. I like the small pockets design in front so that I could better sort the small items.

However, I could immediately see the complains against its straps and thickness of the pads, on the strap and on both side. the straps too narrow, and pads too thin. from my experience, if you have a load of more than 10KG, say around 12 to 15 KG, even if you just walk around the city or in bus station, airports, for some extended period of time, it would be very uncomfortable.

This bag is Made in Vietnam. I bought 2 similar bags in Vietnam. One of them was Made in Vietnam, about 40L, everything about it is cheap, from design to material, but the bag is dirt cheap too, I paid at that time less than 15 Canadian dollars, only barely last me for 1 trip. but hey, for 15 bucks, 1 trip, no complains. even the strap on that one is wider than this Osprey, but pad is even thinner. so I know it's very uncomfortable.

Another bag also bought in Vietnam, Made in China. better quality. paid less than 40 bucks then. still using it. don't really know the brand, it's similar to Osprey Farpoint, only difference is the size, 30L, a little too small for backpacking for couple of months. wider and thicker pads, much more comfortable than the cheaper one. However, my complain is it was side load for the main compartment, not so convenient, and like Farpoint, only 1 big pocket in front, not easy to keep it organised. that's why this time I go with Porter. And the zipper on this one is even better than Osprey's. feels more sturdy. I really love it.

hopefully I could go on a trip next year to field test this Porter. Comparing to the one I paid for 40 bucks, which apparently has no life-time warranty, let's just say, hope this 100-buck Osprey's life-time warranty will well worth it.