Home & Garden

Outlet box for drywall, no stud to mount, where to get ?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2019 11:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2222 posts
619 upvotes
Acton, Ontario

Outlet box for drywall, no stud to mount, where to get ?

Need to add outlet in middle of the wall where no stud is available.
No problem, found these Carlon B114R boxes, but can't find them in Canada for quick online purchase.
Can anyone point me in right direction ? Need one by upcoming Friday.
18 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22720 posts
4338 upvotes
Niagara Falls
What's the distance of your studs?

I know it's more work, but why not just curious the drywall between the studs and build a proper base. Then put the cut piece back on, patch and touch up paint?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
toyopl wrote: Need to add outlet in middle of the wall where no stud is available.
No problem, found these Carlon B114R boxes, but can't find them in Canada for quick online purchase.
Can anyone point me in right direction ? Need one by upcoming Friday.
You will need one of these https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.devi ... 06188.html
and 2 of these https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rewo ... 38552.html
or
one of those that Gee posted.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6929 posts
4199 upvotes
Between Countries
Is there any particular reason why a metallic rework / "old work" box can't be used? Those are more readily available. I really like the Carlon PVC boxes but only used them for low voltage uses like cat5/6 and A/V terminations.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5056 posts
1437 upvotes
Kitchener
DiceMan wrote: Is there any particular reason why a metallic rework / "old work" box can't be used? Those are more readily available. I really like the Carlon PVC boxes but only used them for low voltage uses like cat5/6 and A/V terminations.
If it's going in an outside wall the pvc is equal to a vapour barrier. It'd be difficult to add a vapour barrier to a metal box without making a large cutout that needs to be plastered and painted after
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Incredibly common what you are asking to do.
Just go to any hardware store, tell the customer service person in the aisle what you want to do and they will hand you the box you want.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Dec 22, 2018
202 posts
78 upvotes
Markham
Supahhh wrote: yes.

You have to ground the box. the Bare copper wire is the ground .
why is that required when US diy er can use the blue remodelling box without grounding the plastic box?
I can understand that if you have a black and white wire 2 -wire set up but not with a 3 wire set up in modern homes
Penalty Box
Aug 11, 2005
4175 posts
1430 upvotes
Aren’t these just called retrofit boxes? On a side note, anybody know where to get a 4 gang retrofit box?
Political avatars and signature are not permitted.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8727 posts
5120 upvotes
ON
Luckyinfil wrote: Aren’t these just called retrofit boxes? On a side note, anybody know where to get a 4 gang retrofit box?
4 gang opening is big enough to stick a 2x4 in there and use a normal 4 gang box and secure to the stud.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
818 upvotes
Waterloo
TomF62003 wrote: why is that required when US diy er can use the blue remodelling box without grounding the plastic box?
I can understand that if you have a black and white wire 2 -wire set up but not with a 3 wire set up in modern homes

From My understanding ALL wiring has to be atleast 3 wire. You always Ground the third wire at all JBs and wiring boxes. Something to do with how the neutral works in canada and GFCIs works.

In a single gang it prolly makes no sense to ground the box , but its code.
Luckyinfil wrote: Aren’t these just called retrofit boxes? On a side note, anybody know where to get a 4 gang retrofit box?
I plan to convert a single into 3 gang in the near future. Im planning to just get the regular box and nail into the stud. I believe I saw 4 gang "old work" boxes at home depot and lowes.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6405 posts
2014 upvotes
0 downvotes
just get the re-work box, it clips to the drywall. and it has a ground screw, simpy wrap the ground wire around the screw. nuff said
bjl
Hello and Welcome to Red Flag Deals!
This is my signature line, nothing special to see here now go away, lol!