Shopping Discussion

Outlet taking over malls after reopening?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2020 12:18 am
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
470 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver

Outlet taking over malls after reopening?

Since March most shopping centers are close and have slowly open up in July/Aug.

What I notice is that foot traffic in malls is at least 70% down even with them slowly opening. Been to a few malls and notice most apparel and shoes store while there are customers is a lot less than before. They also have sales. So I though maybe is coz people are doing online shopping and avoiding spending at all. Went to 3 different outlets over the past few weeks and notice is exact the opposite there as there are long lines up everywhere and it seems there are at least 3 to 5 times more people at outlets vs shopping malls. Also people are spending. Like people with shopping bags, lining up to pay, parking lot is also a lot busier than at malls.

Deals is also much much better at the outlet vs malls and even cheaper than online store (even though the online store saids they are having a sale but the same item I find at the outlet much cheaper).

Do you guys think people are now switching to more outlet shopping vs just going to malls since is better deal or people just want to spend money and going to the outlet where pretty much all the stores are group together is much easier that way. Will shops be able to survive or will this be the end of malls shopping (even though malls are already losing business).

I usually don't go to outlet since a lot of the stuff are made for outlets so quality isn't as good but over the past few times when I go there they are just literally selling what the stores sell but with better deals and discounts. Some stores do sell last season items mix in with current season. But most stores I visited at the outlet quality is the same as a store expect maybe a few like JCrew, Coach.
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5632 posts
2811 upvotes
Mississauga
According to my kids, Square One is as busy as ever since reopening in late June.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1901 posts
1817 upvotes
sponge5307 wrote: Since March most shopping centers are close and have slowly open up in July/Aug.

What I notice is that foot traffic in malls is at least 70% down even with them slowly opening. Been to a few malls and notice most apparel and shoes store while there are customers is a lot less than before. They also have sales. So I though maybe is coz people are doing online shopping and avoiding spending at all. Went to 3 different outlets over the past few weeks and notice is exact the opposite there as there are long lines up everywhere and it seems there are at least 3 to 5 times more people at outlets vs shopping malls. Also people are spending. Like people with shopping bags, lining up to pay, parking lot is also a lot busier than at malls.

Deals is also much much better at the outlet vs malls and even cheaper than online store (even though the online store saids they are having a sale but the same item I find at the outlet much cheaper).

Do you guys think people are now switching to more outlet shopping vs just going to malls since is better deal or people just want to spend money and going to the outlet where pretty much all the stores are group together is much easier that way. Will shops be able to survive or will this be the end of malls shopping (even though malls are already losing business).

I usually don't go to outlet since a lot of the stuff are made for outlets so quality isn't as good but over the past few times when I go there they are just literally selling what the stores sell but with better deals and discounts. Some stores do sell last season items mix in with current season. But most stores I visited at the outlet quality is the same as a store expect maybe a few like JCrew, Coach.

umm have you been to Metrotwon?
I was at Guildford this weekend and it was like boxing day, except everyone is wearing masks.
It might be because of wild fire smoke, everyone has to be indoor but mall was PACKED.
Cars honking and yelling, fighting for parking spot
Huge line ups almost every stores(granted it's because they are limited the number people inside the store)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13110 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I would like to go to McArthurglen 'cuz I got emailed a birthday discount for a store, but I don't want to pay the $5 skytrain surcharge leaving the place. It is too far to walk back to Richmond, right?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14624 posts
11838 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Our shopping overall is down in 2020

And we bought literally nothing but groceries during the shutdown March thru June

Once things reopened, we’ve spent a bit more ... Take Out & Delivery, Patio Dining, LCBO, and once a month trips to the likes of Costco, Cdn Tire, Lowe’s, Rona & Home Depot

Not been inside a mall.

Lol, we’ve saved a ton of money ... not intentionally ... by not shopping for anything but essential goods.

Just not buying WANTS ... we are totally focussed on NEEDS these days ... cuz of our mindset of staying out of buildings as much as possible.

Last 30 Days our spending is up tho ... as we get ready for Fall. Been doing quite a bit of online shopping and some Instore too.

But then again historically, like many Cdns, Fall is the season where the most money is spent in regards to getting ready for Winter & The Holidays.

I suspect this spending pattern will continue for us thru to Christmas.

We don’t shop at Outlet Malls in Canada ... cuz there are no real deals ... they just don’t compare with the ones in the USA we visit (visited in the past tense now)

Lol, I am thinking my only upcoming visit to a mall may be this winter ... if they are open ... as it could be an excellent place to walk indoors ... esp so if it’s not crowded. “Mall Walking” has been a popular activity with seniors for decades ... never interested me personally ... but if we are locked up at home for 3, 4, 5, or 6 months ... it might just be a viable alternative for exercise out of the weather. More so if these malls are going to be virtually empty anyhow.

Running shoes, mask, maybe some gloves ... and I will be all set.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2731 posts
1925 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
The funny thing is people think they're getting big deals on outlets, assuming these are either old products or imperfects of the label's regular product lines.

The fact is that items you find in Outlet stores are typically made specifically for the Outlet stores, and often are lower quality than the regular product lines. There is often a slightly different label - for example, the Outlet label may have diamonds or other markings when compared to the retail product, or the logo on a purse may be stamped as opposed to badged. Of course, then there's the fact you may not be able to find the same design in the retail store or even online.

If you want a cheap Coach purse or whatever, great...as long as you are aware you're getting a cheap product for that cheap price so in reality you may not be saving any money.

Link to an old CBC story on this. I promise it's not a rickroll. Really. :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4121 posts
743 upvotes
Richmond
Becks wrote: I would like to go to McArthurglen 'cuz I got emailed a birthday discount for a store, but I don't want to pay the $5 skytrain surcharge leaving the place. It is too far to walk back to Richmond, right?
Buy a return ticket before you enter the area. >.>
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8347 posts
3783 upvotes
Markham
Now I know why new cases are surging
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
470 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
Dreamrider wrote: umm have you been to Metrotwon?
I was at Guildford this weekend and it was like boxing day, except everyone is wearing masks.
It might be because of wild fire smoke, everyone has to be indoor but mall was PACKED.
Cars honking and yelling, fighting for parking spot
Huge line ups almost every stores(granted it's because they are limited the number people inside the store)
Been to Richmond Center/Coq Center and Metrotown and the most people I see around are going to grocery store like Superstore, T and T and PriceSmart and Wal Mart. Otherwise other stores seem pretty quiet.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
470 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
ALLCAPS wrote: The funny thing is people think they're getting big deals on outlets, assuming these are either old products or imperfects of the label's regular product lines.

The fact is that items you find in Outlet stores are typically made specifically for the Outlet stores, and often are lower quality than the regular product lines. There is often a slightly different label - for example, the Outlet label may have diamonds or other markings when compared to the retail product, or the logo on a purse may be stamped as opposed to badged. Of course, then there's the fact you may not be able to find the same design in the retail store or even online.

If you want a cheap Coach purse or whatever, great...as long as you are aware you're getting a cheap product for that cheap price so in reality you may not be saving any money.

Link to an old CBC story on this. I promise it's not a rickroll. Really. :)
Really depends on the store I think. I am seeing the exactly same items that's sold in stores VS the outlet store. Saw a couple dresses at Ted Beaker that my wife bought at the Ted Beaker store and online at the outlet. Some is cheaper (maybe is end of season) some of the newer ones price is almost the same but outlet is still a bit cheaper. For the Vans store deals at the outlet is a lot better bought a pair of pants on the Vans website for $60 saw the same pair and same color for $19 at the outlet and it was buy one get one free(going to refund the stuff i bought online now). Purchased it and when i got home the quality is the same. Some of the shoes are the same price online but again coz of the buy one get one free is still a better deal. Under armor had the same shirt they are selling at Sportscheck regular price but is cheaper at UA outlet(could be end of season). Levis same thing T-shirts and Jean are cheaper at the outlet for the same thing but not as many selection to chose from and some are the same price as their store. Nike have their end of season stuff on sale at the outlet again lot's of sizes are gone.
Sep 30, 2010
72 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
Are you located in Toronto?

Yorkdale has been busier than it ever has been.... its like Holiday christmas shopping happening in august/September.. bizzarre
Mar 20, 2011
293 posts
207 upvotes
Langley, BC
I think the big difference is malls have become more competitive, people will travel further to the bigger more upscale malls while average malls are going out of business.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5632 posts
2811 upvotes
Mississauga
smartie wrote: Now I know why new cases are surging
Nah, malls and stores are the least of our worries. Weddings/big gatherings are the hotspots.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7946 posts
4349 upvotes
Alberta
Only place I’ve been to since March is Superstore, Walmart and T&T. Not buying anything expect essential stuff.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13110 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
bluebellrose wrote: Buy a return ticket before you enter the area. >.>
Is this for real? The gates still open without the $5 add-on?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.