Outrageous fees for school sports?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2019 11:26 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
760 posts
722 upvotes

Outrageous fees for school sports?

So, My daughter recently joined the senior school rugby team which is great. Unfortunately what is not so great is this team comes with a $250 price tag.

$140 for joining the team which covers uniform and transportation and another $110 for an out of town tournament. After questioning this it has come to my attention by the "coach" that this is a new policy coming into effect and that this will affect all school teams in the future.

So, is this being done anywhere else? Since when does a school team come with an almost $300 price tag attached? My daughter makes every school team in every sport they have. It's going to costs me about $1500 year now for my daughter to play school sports? Am I alone in thinking this is ridiculous?
44 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1198 posts
258 upvotes
At our school there is a $50 athletic fee to be paid for the first sport of the year, and then each individual sport they sign up for there is an extra fee of between $30-70. So not quite as steep. It's because transportation costs to sports events & supply teachers to cover the coach (if they're a teacher) are no longer fully covered by the province. So, in effect the students are paying for their busing and to have a supply teacher cover for their coach. It sucks, and I suspect it's going to get even worse as the current provincial government looks for more educational "efficiencies".
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2171 posts
1678 upvotes
Montreal
$250 for uniforms, transportation, and an out of town event doesn't seem outrageous.

If this is not to be paid by the team members, who should it be paid by? Spread over all other students who have chosen a different sport, or no sport at all? Or taxpayers in general?
Dec 28, 2010
534 posts
223 upvotes
My daughter makes every school team in every sport they have. It's going to costs me about $1500 year now for my daughter to play school sports? Am I alone in thinking this is ridiculous?

What is ridiculous here?
Do you want to meet the love of your life? Look in the mirror. | Byron Katie

-Iemand een frikandel speciaal?-
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30387 posts
16231 upvotes
Ottawa
Extra curricular fees for something that is voluntary.
It is, what it is.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
760 posts
722 upvotes
VESTEGAARD wrote: What is ridiculous here?
I'm not sure what you are implying? It's ridiculous to have a child who is naturally athletic and gifted at sports? I'd rather my kids be doing that then spend all day on their phones or Ipads.

Anyways, as it's a new fee as there was never any fee previously I thought it was a bit ridiculous but apparently I'm in the minority. $250 a child seems a little steep. If it was $100 or something I wouldn't have a problem with it.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
760 posts
722 upvotes
Clacker wrote: At our school there is a $50 athletic fee to be paid for the first sport of the year, and then each individual sport they sign up for there is an extra fee of between $30-70. So not quite as steep. It's because transportation costs to sports events & supply teachers to cover the coach (if they're a teacher) are no longer fully covered by the province. So, in effect the students are paying for their busing and to have a supply teacher cover for their coach. It sucks, and I suspect it's going to get even worse as the current provincial government looks for more educational "efficiencies".

That explains it. Thank You. I still think $250 is a little steep for whats involved especially when my 10 & 12 year old can join house league for $125-$150 for a few months and that includes uniforms. Something like $100-150 seems a little more in line especially since the uniform is only a shirt and the out of town tournament is 45 minutes away
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30387 posts
16231 upvotes
Ottawa
Considering your kid is a natural athlete, why not look into real leagues?
The cost will be double at minimum, but can get your kid a sport scholarship at Universities in the US.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5888 posts
867 upvotes
Scarborough
Schools these days getting greedy and just want more money from parents for everything.
Ofcourse the wastage of the tdsb on contractors goes unpunished.....corrupt practices ongoing as ever
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
760 posts
722 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Considering your kid is a natural athlete, why not look into real leagues?
The cost will be double at minimum, but can get your kid a sport scholarship at Universities in the US.
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but I'll bite.

She's already involved in CSL soccer and is currently being scouted. Cost doesn't double, More around 50x that when you factor in the 7-8 tournaments in the US each year and the costs associated with going.

Not to mention this is rugby, not soccer. No need for her to enter a real league for that when her main focus is soccer.

Still doesn't change the fact that I feel $250 is very steep for what amounts to house league sports when my other kids who are not gifted at all enter house league for $125-$150 for a lot more playing time and better instruction, not to mention this is all new (to me anyways) and will be applied to every sport which used to be no charge.

I still don't see how a school collecting about $5k spends that on a few t-shirts and one 45 minute bus ride
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1198 posts
258 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but I'll bite.

She's already involved in CSL soccer and is currently being scouted. Cost doesn't double, More around 50x that when you factor in the 7-8 tournaments in the US each year and the costs associated with going.

Not to mention this is rugby, not soccer. No need for her to enter a real league for that when her main focus is soccer.

Still doesn't change the fact that I feel $250 is very steep for what amounts to house league sports when my other kids who are not gifted at all enter house league for $125-$150 for a lot more playing time and better instruction, not to mention this is all new (to me anyways) and will be applied to every sport which used to be no charge.

I still don't see how a school collecting about $5k spends that on a few t-shirts and one 45 minute bus ride
Is your school a public school? Our school board has very strict accounting around extra-curricular activities in which the teams are not allowed to make profits/retain funds so the costs are only supposed to be the exact costs of going to the planned events & uniforms (if they purchase their own).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8041 posts
2332 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but I'll bite.

High school varsity is 10 times better than house league - it's not close.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
760 posts
722 upvotes
blexann wrote: High school varsity is 10 times better than house league - it's not close.
I would tend to disagree. Would you care to supply evidence to support your claim or are you just going on feel?

Your saying that the math teacher coaching rugby after school or the science teacher coaching football after school is better at or more qualified to coach than someone who is coaching house league? How so? I would say they are pretty comparable in general with the exception of the odd outlier.

My son's current house league coach was also my daughters rep team coach before she moved on to the CSL. He just happens to also coach house league because one of his kids is on the team. You think the math teacher is more qualified to coach than he is?

I'm also not talking from a winning perspective but from a skill developing perspective, the two perspectives are completely different
Last edited by HghSsociety on Apr 3rd, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
760 posts
722 upvotes
Clacker wrote: Is your school a public school? Our school board has very strict accounting around extra-curricular activities in which the teams are not allowed to make profits/retain funds so the costs are only supposed to be the exact costs of going to the planned events & uniforms (if they purchase their own).
It's a public school. I don't know if this is in place with our board or not and to be honest I'm not even going to bother to check. I've already paid the fees and I have no desire to spend the time/effort to inquire and find out. In the end I'll still end up paying the fees regardless of the outcome.

It is what it is, I was just a little surprised and wanted to know is this is common practice or not as it's the first I have heard of it and I'm obviously not the only one as it's a new policy coming into effect now. It's not like this has been in place for years in any kind of form before at our board
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8041 posts
2332 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: I would tend to disagree. Would you care to supply evidence to support your claim or are you just going on feel?

Your saying that the math teacher coaching rugby after school or the science teacher coaching football after school is better at or more qualified to coach than someone who is coaching house league? How so? I would say they are pretty comparable in general with the exception of the odd outlier.

My son's current house league coach was also my daughters rep team coach before she moved on to the CSL. He just happens to also coach house league because one of his kids is on the team. You think the math teacher is more qualified to coach than he is?
I'm not familiar at all with the soccer structure in high schools vs leagues but speaking from personal experience with many of the other popular sports hockey/baseball..etc Varsity is much better. I'm in the GTA
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"