Automotive

Over 200 crashes reported in GTA as snowstorm hits region!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2020 8:59 am
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Toronto drivers, can't drive for shit.lol
This is the reason for all the accidents. I was out at the height of the snow storm. I don't have and will not have snow tires unless the law changes. It was fun getting up some sloped streets from a standing start. For the most part, it was just another winter day for me. This is not the first time I have driven on a snowy day and there will be many more. We live in Canada. Get used to it.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Re the newer all weather tires i found much better value getting dedicated winter and high performance summer tires. Why have a compromise tire year round? Unless it's a car you don't have fun in or you barely drive it then i get it..
chimaican wrote: When there is snow covering the road, it's actually not too difficult to spot who has winter tires and who has all-seasons. Because of the tire tread, it's the difference of seeing snow getting kicked up versus snow being glued to the rubber, or tires spinning faster in correlation to it's movement.

During dry weather, yeah, hard to tell unless you see the treads themselves.

Saw a SUV the other day at the mall with the tires installed backwards. Dumb dumbs. Guess no one told them winters are unidirectional.
Yeah it's really easy to tell if you are mildly interested in cars or pay attention to the stuck dummies.. Easiest giveaway is the winter tires or good all weather tires will kick up and fling the snow, whereas the shitty tires will just spin in place. When i was younger i used to feel bad and would help push people, only to watch them get stuck 10 feet later, but as i get older i just let the idiots be idiots and hope they'll figure it out on their own.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
booblehead wrote: I believe 18cm is the official count
A new record for January 18 too.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Here's another one for the snow tire fanatics on this forum.

In the dry, (of which we have far more of those days than snow covered roads, because like them or hate them, snowplows in the GTA do a pretty good job), all season tires have a shorter braking distance than snow tires do and this effect is magnified in the rain*

Snow tires are great, don't get me wrong, but they are not the be all and end all to driving in winter conditions in Toronto, especially since we're all addicted to the use of salting everything to high hell and back, anyways.

*takes two seconds to Google the results on TireRack and it's been talked about already on RFD.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
angryaudifanatic wrote: Here's another one for the snow tire fanatics on this forum.

In the dry, (of which we have far more of those days than snow covered roads, because like them or hate them, snowplows in the GTA do a pretty good job), all season tires have a shorter braking distance than snow tires do and this effect is magnified in the rain*

Snow tires are great, don't get me wrong, but they are not the be all and end all to driving in winter conditions in Toronto, especially since we're all addicted to the use of salting everything to high hell and back, anyways.

*takes two seconds to Google the results on TireRack and it's been talked about already on RFD.
Even when it's below freezing and all seasons are hard as pucks?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Even when it's below freezing and all seasons are hard as pucks?
Well, when testing under rainy conditions, obviously we're not talking about anything below freezing. If you're comparing -40'C between AS and snow tires, obviously snow tires will win in the dry. That said, Toronto, rarely gets below -10'C during the day when most people are driving.

But that said, let's take a look at some even more interesting results, shall we? Let's take tire rack testing for high performance all season tires and high performance snow tires?

Even in the snow, HP AS tires do better than HP snow tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=181
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=221

Before someone goes...what about ice?! It's rare any of us drive on an icey road because the cities will get sued until they're bankrupt. The point of me bringing this topic into this thread is just to take some data to show people that snow tires are not the be all and end all to winter driving.

Like everything "it depends".
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Banned
Jan 15, 2020
62 posts
21 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: I took my Armada across town to the grocery store earlier.....

Is it snowing or something? I can never tell in that vehicle.
Same thing here, even stock tire from Jeep feel nothing in today's condition. A real off-road purpose vehicles is designed to cope the snow.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
angryaudifanatic wrote: Well, when testing under rainy conditions, obviously we're not talking about anything below freezing. If you're comparing -40'C between AS and snow tires, obviously snow tires will win in the dry. That said, Toronto, rarely gets below -10'C during the day when most people are driving.
I'm not trying to sound like an a$$, but this argument will eventually come up from anyone living outside the GTA, so I might as well bring it up now: Toronto is not the center of the universe.

To say most people drive during the day when the sun is up is being quite forward. A lot of commuters leave before the sun rises and go home after the sunsets, so there are many instances where the temperature will be hovering below zero. I thought is was common to say that below 7°C is when the effectiveness of AS decreases, so even at freezing point, wouldn't a winter tire make more sense?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: Well, when testing under rainy conditions, obviously we're not talking about anything below freezing. If you're comparing -40'C between AS and snow tires, obviously snow tires will win in the dry. That said, Toronto, rarely gets below -10'C during the day when most people are driving.

But that said, let's take a look at some even more interesting results, shall we? Let's take tire rack testing for high performance all season tires and high performance snow tires?

Even in the snow, HP AS tires do better than HP snow tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=181
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=221

Before someone goes...what about ice?! It's rare any of us drive on an icey road because the cities will get sued until they're bankrupt. The point of me bringing this topic into this thread is just to take some data to show people that snow tires are not the be all and end all to winter driving.

Like everything "it depends".
So you're going to ignore the studless ice and snow tire results?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=167
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
chimaican wrote: I'm not trying to sound like an a$$, but this argument will eventually come up from anyone living outside the GTA, so I might as well bring it up now: Toronto is not the center of the universe.

To say most people drive during the day when the sun is up is being quite forward. A lot of commuters leave before the sun rises and go home after the sunsets, so there are many instances where the temperature will be hovering below zero. I thought is was common to say that below 7°C is when the effectiveness of AS decreases, so even at freezing point, wouldn't a winter tire make more sense?
I can't find the video on Youtube but towards the end of 2019 there was a very prominent winter tire tester who did several tests in a controlled indoor environment. He tested summer tires, all season tires and winter tires at various temperatures. The outcome was generally:

(summer tires results removed as not relevant to existing thread conversation)

(Dry results below only)

1) >7'C, winter tires < all season tires in dry braking
2) ~0'C, winter tires < all season tires in dry braking
3) [insert some cold temperature here] - winter tires > all season tires in dry braking

The main takeaway is that at temps slightly below freezing in dry weather and up, all season tires do surprisingly well in the dry, and if you subject true snow tires to dry braking when it's not cold enough, the dry braking performance is worse than all seasons.

But yes, you are right, Toronto isn't the center of the universe but this thread is aptly titled "GTA".
BeaverLiquor wrote: So you're going to ignore the studless ice and snow tire results?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=167
No? The testing methodology that TR uses for studless ice/snow tires versus all season tires are not the same versus the HP AS and HP snow tires were done on the same car in the same weather, IIRC. Plus, I don't know many people who run dedicated studless ice/snow tires in the GTA, and for those that do, I HOPE they don't drive those tires in the rain or dry when it's above 0'C, or -15'C for that matter. They are incredibly dangerous in the wrong conditions, which is the case for most of the winter in the GTA.

Also, most folks run high performance snow tires that I am aware of given the massive sacrifices that one has to give to run dedicated true snow tires in the GTA. We don't live in Finland, or Regina, for that matter. Tread squirm, tire life, and dry/wet performance in our temperature (wet = rain) is abysmal for real true dedicated studless snow tires.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6567 posts
4487 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: I can't find the video on Youtube but towards the end of 2019 there was a very prominent winter tire tester who did several tests in a controlled indoor environment. He tested summer tires, all season tires and winter tires at various temperatures. The outcome was generally:

(summer tires results removed as not relevant to existing thread conversation)

(Dry results below only)

3) [insert some cold temperature here] - winter tires > all season tires in dry braking

The main takeaway is that at temps slightly below freezing in dry weather and up, all season tires do surprisingly well.

But yes, you are right, Toronto isn't the center of the universe but this thread is aptly titled "GTA".

No? The testing methodology that TR uses for studless ice/snow tires versus all season tires are not the same versus the HP AS and HP snow tires were done on the same car in the same weather, IIRC. Plus, I don't know many people who run dedicated studless ice/snow tires. Most folks run high performance snow tires that I am aware of given the massive sacrifices that one has to give to run dedicated true snow tires in the GTA. We don't live in Finland, or Regina, for that matter.
Must be oblivious to your surroundings, guarantee there are more "regular" studless ice and snow tires category tires on cars than performance winter tires/tires.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

price error
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: Must be oblivious to your surroundings, guarantee there are more "regular" studless ice and snow tires category tires on cars than performance winter tires/tires.
Your guess is as good as mine, but if you're right, then that's idiotic both for the driver of said cars and for the people around them.

Dedicated snow tires are a poor choice, especially given the fact of where we live and the weather, say, for the next two weeks during business days. Dry, not very cold, etc, is a bad mix with dedicated snow tires, period.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
angryaudifanatic wrote: (Dry results below only)

Well I can't deny those results however outside of the test facility weather can be quite different. No one is going to swap tires constantly depending on the day's forecast, so I would personally prefer everyone be running winter tires. In case and point of this thread, fender benders were occurring in non ideal conditions, not the dry conditions of the study. So as much as I agree with what you're saying and the testing results, it's in the non ideal or crap situations like this when people should have been running on winters.

I'm not old but I do come from a time when winters didn't even really exist, so it was all-seasons or nothing. There was no ABS or fancy traction control, just defense driving and emergency skills. I can tell ya, when the winter tires started coming on the market, it was like night and day for winter driving.

So back to the original post I guess, if you can't drive and/or don't have proper tires, get off the road. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9926 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
I grew up in the 1970's (right around when bias-ply tires were overtaken by radials) and the only real winter option were snow tires that had super aggressive tread. They were noisy as hell on dry pavement but worked well in the snow. And since almost all cars back then were RWD, owners would typically only buy two snow tires for the rear.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Same 403 is as clear as crystal today.

Timing is everything. I guess many don't stock food or just have to go out just for the hell of it.

Keep safe and smart.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14473 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
So a weekend in the GTA where there are more crashes than shootings? Doesn’t happen often.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5758 upvotes
Biggest problem is people who can't figure out where the lane lines are and think they can just make their own lane lol
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Squirrel99 wrote: Biggest problem is people who can't figure out where the lane lines are and think they can just make their own lane lol
Come to Mtl, even in good weather, the freaking lines are sometimes all faded, you have to guess where the lanes are, in addition to trying to avoid the moon crater potholes, it's ridiculous.

Also, someone is confusing Vcr w TO. Might be able to make an argument for A/Ss in the former but the latter w its WIDE temp fluctuations w/i the same day is just ridiculous, unless you're an 'anti-vampire', coming out only during sunrises and retreating back home before sunsets…then maybe.

Still, the real world doesn't happen like that and ppl aren't robots and have actual lives; I'm sure many ppl can't make it home before the sun sets.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Jan 19th, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1055 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
Today I saw more than usual cars on the streets that have a lot of snow on the top the hood. Can’t believe there is so many drivers that still do that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)