None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
567 upvotes
Near Toronto

Over charged at coin-op car wash

Wednesday I was at one of those coin operated self serve car wash that accepts credit cards. I swiped and started washing. Pressure wash, soapy brush then rain repellent rinse. I still needed to do the spot free rinse but the whole system shut off. Nothing on the display. I tried to push stop but nothing happened. I even tried to insert money (25 cents) to finish my rinse but nothing registered. I looked up at the camera and shrugged.

I drove off since there's no booth or anything.

Looked at my CC statement tonight and I noticed they charged me $24 for the wash. I've never spent more than $10 there so obviously the clock was still rolling.

I found a phone number online for the car wash so we'll see what they say but what recourse do I have? Can I try a charge back on my CC? What proof do I have?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1184 posts
396 upvotes
Hamilton
Most pre-authorize $15-20 and then authorize the amount you actually use when you finish, like interac does at the gas pump. If anything you should end up with a free wash since there was no request processed at the end. At most the system should have only authorized the amount you used until it shut down.
Are you sure your card was charged $24 and not just pre-authorized?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3674 posts
2000 upvotes
Halifax
If you cannot get a resolution from the car wash, go to the credit card company and dispute the charge. The vendor might challenge it, but it appears by the set up, the vendor does not have much of a case. Considering there is no significant costs to the vendor, and the hassle the vendor has to deal with when it comes to a charge back, I suspect the vendor will reverse the charge to whatever you expected to pay without much hassle.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
567 upvotes
Near Toronto
alpha2omega wrote: Most pre-authorize $15-20 and then authorize the amount you actually use when you finish, like interac does at the gas pump. If anything you should end up with a free wash since there was no request processed at the end. At most the system should have only authorized the amount you used until it shut down.
Are you sure your card was charged $24 and not just pre-authorized?
You know what? you might be right.... right now it's still under the " Authorized Transactions (Authorized Transactions are transactions that still need to be settled by a retailer or service provider)" and not " Posted Transactions ". So I'll wait before calling people.

thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1184 posts
396 upvotes
Hamilton
Ebeniz wrote: You know what? you might be right.... right now it's still under the " Authorized Transactions (Authorized Transactions are transactions that still need to be settled by a retailer or service provider)" and not " Posted Transactions ". So I'll wait before calling people.

thanks
Np. If you remember, post what happens here I'm curious how that works. I'm assuming only when the wash has ended and a second request is sent can the charge be processed. The pre-authorization should only be a check to see if "you're good for it". If it stops early or the power kicks out there shouldn't be any charge IMO.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
567 upvotes
Near Toronto
I just checked my Visa bill and there's no more pending and no charge for the carwash. It's all good.