Over wintering my elephant ear palm

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 6:31 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
971 posts
244 upvotes

Over wintering my elephant ear palm

Just brought her in... why do leaves drip and is this temporary?
20201019_100832.jpg
20201019_100850.jpg
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17833 posts
15277 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
She’s too wet

Palms & Tropicals can be tricky to grow indoors in our climate
More so in the winter here in Canada
Where enough sunlight, and drafts by cold windows ... or central heating & dryness can be issues

You have to find a workable combo of light, warm air, water & humidity
The latter you can help along with a mister
Or a large plant saucer at the base of the plants pot filled with pebbles that you water too

GOOGLE : Elephant Ear Plant Indoor Care

And you’ll find lots of websites with info

EDIT / ADD = We don’t own an Elephant Ear, but we successfully have been growing & overwintering several tropicals indoors for years now. So it certainly can be done. Lol the downside, the healthier they are, the longer you do this the bigger they become. So having an extra large window and high ceilings get to be a priority at some point in the game.
May 28, 2012
11416 posts
3714 upvotes
Saskatoon
I don't bother trying to overwinter taro as a potted plant. I dig out the tuber, cut off the stem and shake off all the soil. Let the roots dry out and then pack into loose vermiculite and into the basement for the winter. Sometime near end of March, I'll take it out of the box and pot up and under growlights until it can go outside for the summer.

The leaves of your plant is excreting extra water...is the soil kept really wet? It has different conditions outside than inside and is adjusting to the changes (i.e. outside it has to deal with wind, etc that can affect moisture levels).
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
971 posts
244 upvotes
Yes over watered recently. Thanks all.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
971 posts
244 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I don't bother trying to overwinter taro as a potted plant. I dig out the tuber, cut off the stem and shake off all the soil. Let the roots dry out and then pack into loose vermiculite and into the basement for the winter. Sometime near end of March, I'll take it out of the box and pot up and under growlights until it can go outside for the summer.

The leaves of your plant is excreting extra water...is the soil kept really wet? It has different conditions outside than inside and is adjusting to the changes (i.e. outside it has to deal with wind, etc that can affect moisture levels).
Can I do this with any tropical? I have 3 Majesty Palms that I'm going to leave to die... :-( but don't have room, worry about bugs in soil, to move in
May 28, 2012
11416 posts
3714 upvotes
Saskatoon
stansoltz wrote: Can I do this with any tropical? I have 3 Majesty Palms that I'm going to leave to die... :-( but don't have room, worry about bugs in soil, to move in
My guess is not. Taro/Colocasia develops a tuber which is a storage mechanism (like a potato)...if it's just a plant with roots, digging it up and storing it over a period of time doesn't usually work.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17833 posts
15277 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
stansoltz wrote: Can I do this with any tropical? I have 3 Majesty Palms that I'm going to leave to die... :-( but don't have room, worry about bugs in soil, to move in
As noted, this only works for plants that have tubers

Majesty Palms can be overwintered as indoor houseplants ... but it’s a game of trial & error to get the light, water & humidity right.

Bugs aren’t a big issue if you spray down your plant & the soil BEFORE you bring it in with Insecticidal Soap.

Not bringing them inside, and letting them die off outside is of course an option for many gardeners.

Majesty Palms go on sale so many places each Spring, and tend to run in the $ 10 to $ 50 range ... depending upon their size, and where you buy from (Grocery Store Garden Centre, DIY Big Box Store, Nursery). So cheap enough to replace.

But ... nothing beats the satisfaction of getting one thru the Winter, and seeing how big they get say in 2 or 3 years down the road.