• Mar 3rd, 2018 3:30 am
[OP]
Jul 15, 2006
956 posts
110 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Overnight layover in Amsterdam in March

Hi folks,

I booked a trip via Flighthub and have an overnight layover in Amsterdam in March. The flight will be landing 7:30pm and the next flight back home is the following afternoon at 12pm.

Wondering if there's any potential sightseeing that could be done in the evening. I was hoping for a canal tour in the morning, but it seems tours don't start until 10am and I'm assuming we'd (family with 2 kids) have to be at the airport by 10am to catch the 12pm flight.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
4 replies
Jan 17, 2017
243 posts
142 upvotes
With kids, i'd get a nice dinner overlooking a canal or just spend time walking around the canals, either the night you get in, or wake up early morning. I'd start around Dam square and walk to the canals to the west.
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
Shop-a-holic wrote: Hi folks,

I booked a trip via Flighthub and have an overnight layover in Amsterdam in March. The flight will be landing 7:30pm and the next flight back home is the following afternoon at 12pm.

Wondering if there's any potential sightseeing that could be done in the evening. I was hoping for a canal tour in the morning, but it seems tours don't start until 10am and I'm assuming we'd (family with 2 kids) have to be at the airport by 10am to catch the 12pm flight.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Oh you're going to want to be at the airport well before 10AM. I was in Amsterdam last March. Schipol airport is a hellish torture maze. When we landed there was nearly 40 minutes of walking to get to our bus to the hotel. Worst. Airport. Ever.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1155 upvotes
We did the same type of layover. There is some "nightlife" but besides the RLD there isn't much "unique" about the city. We found it very expensive and a lot of money around, most taxis near the airport were all Tesla's. Schiphol airport we didn't find it hard to manage, but it is absolutely huge...we walked probably half an hour in the same direction just to get to our gate. On the plus side it's very easy to take the train (below airport) to the downtown city area, about 20 mins and I think about 10 euros each.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
511 upvotes
If you didn't tell me you had kids with you, I would have recommended you going to Church for their naked (or underwear) parties on the weekends.