• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 3:50 pm
Tags:
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
lotfi.bm wrote: Overseeding season is coming.
What will you buy guys? I was eying Scott's seeds from Costco but the reviews are bad this year
https://www.costco.ca/scotts-supreme-gr ... 57139.html
This year? Most Scotts products sucks because they are garbage. Pretty sure the bad reviews aren't confined to this year only lol.

I picked up a few bags of this no name brand from Food Basics this spring for a really good price $20 ....super happy with the results. Very few weeds this year. I usually overseed in the fall but squirrels dig the new grass during winter so it's a complete waste of time and money so I overseeded in the spring much better results especially with all the rain we've had.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3476 posts
3998 upvotes
GTA
I have used Costco seeds this year without getting weeds. Grass looks great but so does everyone else's with the amount of rain in our area.
Nov 20, 2015
135 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm new to lawn renovation and went with Barenbrug Rpr. I just seeded a whole lawn last Monday and it already started coming out Friday and looks pretty good so far today.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Go to your local nursery and buy bulk.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
JohnProdigy003 wrote: I'm new to lawn renovation and went with Barenbrug Rpr. I just seeded a whole lawn last Monday and it already started coming out Friday and looks pretty good so far today.
You've overseeded with annual rye....that's why it grew so quickly. It won't come next year. Also this one of the worst times to overseed.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
hierophant wrote: You've overseeded with annual rye....that's why it grew so quickly. It won't come next year. Also this one of the worst times to overseed.
RPR is perennial ryegrass - I agree it germinates and establishes fast, but it's a reasonably good product and will come back next year. I also agree this is a dangerous time to overseed, baby grass doesn't like summer heat and drought and will easily die.

To buy good seed, typically avoid big box stores. I actually don't mind ProMix if you're in a big box, it isn't perfect but it does a decent job. If you want better seed, buying from either a good nursery, sod farm or from a local seed supplier is a better idea. Some decent Ontario options:

- Speare Seeds
- General Seeds
- Ontario Seed Company (online or in store)
- Quality Seeds

Those are all better than big box brands and you'll end up with grass that looks better and performs better.
Nov 20, 2015
135 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hierophant wrote: You've overseeded with annual rye....that's why it grew so quickly. It won't come next year. Also this one of the worst times to overseed.
I know it's a bad time, but my neighbourhood has too much weeds. I cleaned up my backyard lawn (100% weeds) down to bare dirt and all the weeds came back within 3 weeks. I have a raised garden bed in the backyard and didn't want to use any weedkillers so we manually dug em up (some roots were over 1ft deep). I didn't want to dig up a whole lawn every couple of weeks until it was the best time for seeding, so I seeded now and just do light watering 5-6 times a day. The benefits of working from home.

Plus, it's a 25kg bag of RPR and I have less than 1000 sq.ft. of lawn, so I could care less if the seeds don't germinate efficiently Face With Tears Of Joy.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1480 posts
1584 upvotes
GTA
Would like to know which days you all are planning to overseed... Looks like the weather will be too hot until the end of August?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
I've been waiting all summer to do this and with this heatwave in the GTA, it's still way too hot to do this. I have baby weeds popping up all over the place and can't pluck them fast enough to fight against them taking over. I might blast them with roundup and by the end of Aug - Early Sept, the soil should be ready to go.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
clutch31 wrote: Would like to know which days you all are planning to overseed... Looks like the weather will be too hot until the end of August?
Probably Labour Day. I'll cut the existing grass low (1.5 inches), run a dethatcher over it, rake up all the material and bag it, rake out a few bags of lawn soil, broadcast it and then dust some peat thinly over it.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1571 posts
191 upvotes
Ontario
What’s the ideal mix of grass seed for Ontario lawns.

Here’s why the local sod farm sells.
30% Kentucky Blue Grass, 40% Creeping Red Fescue, and 30% Turf Type Perennial Rye Grass.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
Smoothie wrote: What’s the ideal mix of grass seed for Ontario lawns.

Here’s why the local sod farm sells.
30% Kentucky Blue Grass, 40% Creeping Red Fescue, and 30% Turf Type Perennial Rye Grass.
No such thing as ideal mix, depends on your conditions, climate and maintenance commitment. Generally:

Bluegrass - does well in full sun, doesn't like shade much, greens up slowly, likes a lot of water and fertilizer, looks phenomenal when well cared for. Spreads on its own to fill in thin spots if happy. Most cold hardy.
Ryegrass - does well in full sun, doesn't like shade much (some can handle a little), greens up early, needs a little less water and fertilizer than bluegrass, doesn't spread on its own. Best 'stripes'. Easy to seed.
Fine fescue - this is a 'catch all' for a few different types, all have narrow leaves. Generally used in low-maintenance and part shade blends as has better shade tolerance. Also cold hardy, depending. Some spread.
Tall Fescue - new kid on the block, works similarly to ryegrass with somewhat better shade tolerance and less water needed. Some types have thicker blades, depends on cultivar.

So located in Northern Ontario? You're using bluegrass and fine fescue, everything else dies. Irrigated lawn in full sun? Bluegrass. Sandy soil that seems to stay dry, in full to mostly sun? Tall fescue. Shady spot? Fine fescue blend. Not sure? Northern mix.

Personally I think that tall fescue is going to be much more popular in new lawns in Southern Ontario in the future - recent cultivars are less coarsely bladed, are dark green and are pretty sturdy under moderate neglect. Its ability to handle full sun to light shade is also a plus.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1275 posts
888 upvotes
ON
grumble wrote: No such thing as ideal mix, depends on your conditions, climate and maintenance commitment. Generally:

Bluegrass - does well in full sun, doesn't like shade much, greens up slowly, likes a lot of water and fertilizer, looks phenomenal when well cared for. Spreads on its own to fill in thin spots if happy. Most cold hardy.
Ryegrass - does well in full sun, doesn't like shade much (some can handle a little), greens up early, needs a little less water and fertilizer than bluegrass, doesn't spread on its own. Best 'stripes'. Easy to seed.
Fine fescue - this is a 'catch all' for a few different types, all have narrow leaves. Generally used in low-maintenance and part shade blends as has better shade tolerance. Also cold hardy, depending. Some spread.
Tall Fescue - new kid on the block, works similarly to ryegrass with somewhat better shade tolerance and less water needed. Some types have thicker blades, depends on cultivar.

So located in Northern Ontario? You're using bluegrass and fine fescue, everything else dies. Irrigated lawn in full sun? Bluegrass. Sandy soil that seems to stay dry, in full to mostly sun? Tall fescue. Shady spot? Fine fescue blend. Not sure? Northern mix.

Personally I think that tall fescue is going to be much more popular in new lawns in Southern Ontario in the future - recent cultivars are less coarsely bladed, are dark green and are pretty sturdy under moderate neglect. Its ability to handle full sun to light shade is also a plus.
Thanks for the info. The problem is you can't just buy one type, it's always mixed types of seeds everywhere.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Elec2016 wrote: Thanks for the info. The problem is you can't just buy one type, it's always mixed types of seeds everywhere.
I use a prg/fescue blend.

Agree it's hard to get straight cultivars. Unless you've got a very boring lot, straight cultivars aren't effective either.

If you are looking for single varietals, check out ontario seed company in Waterloo.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1480 posts
1584 upvotes
GTA
guys, I have another question regarding overseeding. If you spray weed killers (either chelated iron or 24D), how long should I wait before I overseed? Or is it better to overseed and then apply weed killers?
Jan 5, 2017
349 posts
260 upvotes
montreal
clutch31 wrote: guys, I have another question regarding overseeding. If you spray weed killers (either chelated iron or 24D), how long should I wait before I overseed? Or is it better to overseed and then apply weed killers?
For 24D, generally the instructions are only put down seed 2-4weeks after spraying. And don't spray until grass is mature I would say (I.e. it's already been cut once or twice)
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
Elec2016 wrote: Thanks for the info. The problem is you can't just buy one type, it's always mixed types of seeds everywhere.
True (though you can get single species blends or even single varieties if you want). I find it useful when I look at the mixes though, since I know what I'm getting. Mostly tall fescue with a little fine fescue and ryegrass? Okay, it's an all-rounder for somewhat neglected conditions, should hold up well in summer, can handle light shade. Mostly bluegrass with a bit of ryegrass? Okay, it's for a full sun showcase lawn that'll need more maintenance. Mostly fine fescues with a bit of other stuff? Okay, it's for a partially shaded spot. Mostly perennial ryegrass? Probably intended for overseeding and patch filling in sunnier spots due to its quick germination and establishment.

Agreed that you don't need to know this stuff to do 'okay', you can just buy according to the conditions on the label 'sun, shade, whatever' but I find it a nice bit of knowledge that's pretty straightforward that helps you better understand what you're buying, if you're getting a decent product and what conditions it'll be best in and how to take care of it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Does anyone mail seeds outside of Ontario? Specifically Newfoundland
Let's hug it out

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)