Careers

Overworked but underpaid

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2021 1:13 am
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 16, 2019
58 posts
25 upvotes

Overworked but underpaid

I feel horribly overworked at my current job. My boss is very knowledgeable and good at solving problems. Issue is - he never does the work!! He is also a yes man that always cater to higher-ups and then allocates work to the team, with no considerations of what we already have at hand.

Everyone's plate is so full but work just keeps coming. Most of us are very close to getting STD. One member recently gave up and applied for government's caregiving due to school closed (legit reason, 3 kids no school). The team got even short handed.

When I confronted my boss he actually tells me it's normal for one to work 10+ hours during WFH. Problem is we don't get paid for 10+ hours. Every time when someone mentions to boss that we are working OT, he said it's our time management problems. Well obviously it's because he never does the actual work so he still feels everything gets done in a click!!

My wife keeps complaining as she does not understand why I am so busy. I just gave her lame excuses that IT hits hard due to WFH. I can longer fool her, things just don't improve but get worse.

Due to overworking I don't have much energy left to look for other jobs. Companies want to expand online business so new projects kept coming. They do hire new people but it's mostly leaders not workers, like someone has extensive experience in the new areas or programs that the company tires to get in. Hiring is mostly external not internal. More people make decisions mean more work needs to be done.

Basically I am feeling very hopeless and counting my days for a STD claim. How can I leave this shithole?
49 replies
Jr. Member
Dec 11, 2011
174 posts
241 upvotes
CALEDON
Dont forget the intention of work. TO MAKE MONEY. Life energy -> $$ . That's what you signed up for. If the company you work for causes issues for you outside of work or ethics / morals come into play and you are no longer happy, then this company is not for you. Move onto a place that can match you...
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1276 posts
1115 upvotes
newbie2019 wrote: I feel horribly overworked at my current job. My boss is very knowledgeable and good at solving problems. Issue is - he never does the work!! He is also a yes man that always cater to higher-ups and then allocates work to the team, with no considerations of what we already have at hand.

Everyone's plate is so full but work just keeps coming. Most of us are very close to getting STD. One member recently gave up and applied for government's caregiving due to school closed (legit reason, 3 kids no school). The team got even short handed.

When I confronted my boss he actually tells me it's normal for one to work 10+ hours during WFH. Problem is we don't get paid for 10+ hours. Every time when someone mentions to boss that we are working OT, he said it's our time management problems. Well obviously it's because he never does the actual work so he still feels everything gets done in a click!!

My wife keeps complaining as she does not understand why I am so busy. I just gave her lame excuses that IT hits hard due to WFH. I can longer fool her, things just don't improve but get worse.

Due to overworking I don't have much energy left to look for other jobs. Companies want to expand online business so new projects kept coming. They do hire new people but it's mostly leaders not workers, like someone has extensive experience in the new areas or programs that the company tires to get in. Hiring is mostly external not internal. More people make decisions mean more work needs to be done.

Basically I am feeling very hopeless and counting my days for a STD claim. How can I leave this shithole?
Only way to leave is by applying for new jobs! Stop making excuses that you are too tired to apply for jobs. You should be motivated and be applying every day if you want to get out of there so desperately. What kind of IT work do you do?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
2132 posts
87 upvotes
You need to find a new job. Stop doing unpaid OT and use the time instead to ideally skill up and/or apply for new job, otherwise it's just an endless cycle of rat race.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
9021 posts
1166 upvotes
Standard 10+ hr days? Ok the guy is an idiot... time to start applying for a new job imho.

Yes I have worked 12-14hr days before, but that is the very RARE cases and my manager always just tells me to take a day off or whatever.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1404 posts
1134 upvotes
Edmonton
See if you can get everyone to get everyone to go on short term disability all at the same time. Then he will have a very hard time explaining to his higher ups how his failure to manage his team caused them all to burn out.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
6897 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
Sepiraph wrote: You need to find a new job. Stop doing unpaid OT and use the time instead to ideally skill up and/or apply for new job, otherwise it's just an endless cycle of rat race.
I agreed with you, but during this time its harder to find a new job since the number of applicants is overwhelming. I also hate my job until the economy go back to normal, I don’t see anything i can do but quit or be patience dealing with my workload.
Jr. Member
May 10, 2020
125 posts
62 upvotes
newbie2019 wrote: I feel horribly overworked at my current job. My boss is very knowledgeable and good at solving problems. Issue is - he never does the work!! He is also a yes man that always cater to higher-ups and then allocates work to the team, with no considerations of what we already have at hand.

Everyone's plate is so full but work just keeps coming. Most of us are very close to getting STD. One member recently gave up and applied for government's caregiving due to school closed (legit reason, 3 kids no school). The team got even short handed.

When I confronted my boss he actually tells me it's normal for one to work 10+ hours during WFH. Problem is we don't get paid for 10+ hours. Every time when someone mentions to boss that we are working OT, he said it's our time management problems. Well obviously it's because he never does the actual work so he still feels everything gets done in a click!!

My wife keeps complaining as she does not understand why I am so busy. I just gave her lame excuses that IT hits hard due to WFH. I can longer fool her, things just don't improve but get worse.

Due to overworking I don't have much energy left to look for other jobs. Companies want to expand online business so new projects kept coming. They do hire new people but it's mostly leaders not workers, like someone has extensive experience in the new areas or programs that the company tires to get in. Hiring is mostly external not internal. More people make decisions mean more work needs to be done.

Basically I am feeling very hopeless and counting my days for a STD claim. How can I leave this shithole?
If you really dont care about performance reviews/references from work, then start slacking off. Thats not easy though. And do it only if you think you will get some severance. Not what I would recommend normally - but maybe it can work for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4114 posts
2013 upvotes
I usually find those who like to brag that they are busy or overworked are either ineffective, incompetent or both. In your case, this appears to be mismanagement from your boss. With most employers and employees looking for flexible arrangements, your boss is taking her petty grievances out on the team. Sucks to be in that situation.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5757 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto
You mentioned twice your boss doesn't do "actual work". What is this actual work? Technical work? Does your boss supposed to be doing that kind of work?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9374 posts
1434 upvotes
OP you have no say if you are salary based and no union environment. That's how usually bosses do, kiss ass, give all work to subordinates, then take the credit. Then again, he either do that or fight with his boss. Then he will be fired. Sometimes middle management as no choice.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1276 posts
1115 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: OP you have no say if you are salary based and no union environment. That's how usually bosses do, kiss ass, give all work to subordinates, then take the credit. Then again, he either do that or fight with his boss. Then he will be fired. Sometimes middle management as no choice.
Not true at all. There are many bosses who are great for non-unionized places of work. They actually look out and care for their employees. I have been lucky to have many great bosses through my career.

OP just had bad luck and got a bad one. Time to look for a new job.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1536 posts
898 upvotes
NOYB
Toxic work environment. Very sorry to hear ..

You don't get into overwork all of a sudden. It started to build up the first time you did not say no to an unreasonable request.

I know, entry level/mid level employees don't have many options often.

Leave ASAP
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms + Lucky Mobile + Public Mobile user* SPEND WISELY

Self banning from the PRC sub, after a member with civility was banned from it without reasonable cause since 11/09/2020
Newbie
Dec 1, 2020
78 posts
38 upvotes
I feel for you. I hate working from home. I hate that people expect more. I hate that they send emails at 8pm and say respond tonight and know there is no where else you could be.

I feel isolated and have no socialization which was one decent thing about work. Taking a break. Talking about something other than work and then getting back at it. You are basically alone and frankly living to work. Now, you set up calls to talk about work and then leave and do work, eat dinner and work more and work and work and work and work and work. All the f ing time.

It's horrible. I hate it.

Employers out there, no, we do not like it. No. We are not more efficient.

I'm pretty close to just quitting and maybe going back to work next year but I'd miss out on EI. I know any job I get is going to be work from home.

Sad thing is that it sounds like it could be part time work from home for ever. That is a little better but I still would hate it.

I like to keep work and home separate. It is not now and it really sucks.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21371 posts
2613 upvotes
Toronto
XmasTreelights wrote: I feel for you. I hate working from home. I hate that people expect more. I hate that they send emails at 8pm and say respond tonight and know there is no where else you could be.

I feel isolated and have no socialization which was one decent thing about work. Taking a break. Talking about something other than work and then getting back at it. You are basically alone and frankly living to work. Now, you set up calls to talk about work and then leave and do work, eat dinner and work more and work and work and work and work and work. All the f ing time.

It's horrible. I hate it.

Employers out there, no, we do not like it. No. We are not more efficient.

I'm pretty close to just quitting and maybe going back to work next year but I'd miss out on EI. I know any job I get is going to be work from home.

Sad thing is that it sounds like it could be part time work from home for ever. That is a little better but I still would hate it.

I like to keep work and home separate. It is not now and it really sucks.
holy crap - are you my long lost twin?!!??

This is exactlllyyyyy how I feel - been WFH since last March for a large Cdn FI. The light went off for management that the workforce is more "efficient" working remotely. We aren't more efficient - just working more hrs. In the beginning, the expectation was all hands on deck to ensure the ship stays afloat......which meant going above & beyond, working crazy hrs and doing things outside of the "normal" process....


Well, sad thing is - no one turned it off!!! Everyone has been working all times of the day - during breakfast, lunch & dinner and weekends!!

Higher-ups are saying "make sure no meetings during lunch, log off at 5pm (or whatever set time)" - that isn't happening.

I'm miserable and feel like I am going to break or crack. I can't even turn off my brain when I go to sleep - I think about work.

Dang....

On the flip side - most folks in the compnay are grateful they still have a job so who I am to complain? This pandemic has hit a lot of folks hard - businesses & jobs lost......but man, I don't think I can continue the path I am on.....


And yes, few months down the road if I still have a job & we get a choice to go back into the office some of the time - I'll be right there since i don't mind the commute and I really do want a clear delineation between work & home which I currently don't have.

I don't mind the commute since that is my divider between work & home. I travel to go into the office\work & I travel to leave work.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
4114 posts
2013 upvotes
^^ Your manager is sabotaging you. That’s not how WFH works. They are taking advantage of you to make you want to come back into the office. Name and shame these employers so others can avoid them. Hell, post on their social media. Unless you’re in a senior leadership role, sure it’s what you sign up for in some cases. Other than that, your employer sucks. If they are messaging you at 8pm they are taking advantage of you. I suggest speaking up on this matter, don’t let anyone mess with your mental health like that.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
1615 posts
40 upvotes
Place a hard boundary on your work hours to start so you can take back your time. Better still, take some time off from work. You need to re-focus your life priorities, attend to family needs, and get back into the job hunt. You have control over the situation - considering that your team is already short staffed, your employer isn't in a position to dismiss you.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

newbie2019