• Aug 23rd, 2019 3:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2611 posts
1525 upvotes

ozone generator - experience?

I have another thread going but wanted exposure as this is specific.

Does anyone have experience using a ozone generator?

quick backstoy - bought a townhome that we now find out that the previous owner smoked for 25 years. The smell is bad in some rooms and tar is leaching in the bathroom. We are gong to work on repainting but for the smell it was recommended to use a ozone generator. What is anyones experience? We have a 4 month old at home and dont want her inhaling anything dangerous from the machine. Should we rent one and run it for 24 hours and stay overnight somewhere else? also where to rent and how many (3 story townhome, 3 bedrooms)? Any help is appreciated.

here is the other thread.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/getting- ... e-2307506/
Got that Zoomer account!
22 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14878 posts
15727 upvotes
Oakville
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I have another thread going but wanted exposure as this is specific.

Does anyone have experience using a ozone generator?

quick backstoy - bought a townhome that we now find out that the previous owner smoked for 25 years. The smell is bad in some rooms and tar is leaching in the bathroom. We are gong to work on repainting but for the smell it was recommended to use a ozone generator. What is anyones experience? We have a 4 month old at home and dont want her inhaling anything dangerous from the machine. Should we rent one and run it for 24 hours and stay overnight somewhere else? also where to rent and how many (3 story townhome, 3 bedrooms)? Any help is appreciated.

here is the other thread.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/getting- ... e-2307506/
No need to open a new thread, you'll get the same answers. You can't stay in the house while the ozone generator is on. Google ozone toxicology.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2611 posts
1525 upvotes
engineered wrote: No need to open a new thread, you'll get the same answers. You can't stay in the house while the ozone generator is on. Google ozone toxicology.
how do i rent one or where do I get it from? seems like they are not so legal in canada for anyone but contractors?
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
707 upvotes
Waterloo
engineered wrote: No need to open a new thread, you'll get the same answers. You can't stay in the house while the ozone generator is on. Google ozone toxicology.
riseagainstthemachine wrote: how do i rent one or where do I get it from? seems like they are not so legal in canada for anyone but contractors?

I gather then you already googled ozone and its toxicity effects? even tho you find that its illegal for anyone but registered contractors to rent, you still looking for them?
----
Pay it forward.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2611 posts
1525 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: I gather then you already googled ozone and its toxicity effects? even tho you find that its illegal for anyone but registered contractors to rent, you still looking for them?
well they do work and they are used everywhere else in the world. I believe only the air purifiers that emit the ozone were banned
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8632 posts
9393 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
riseagainstthemachine wrote: well they do work and they are used everywhere else in the world. I believe only the air purifiers that emit the ozone were banned
They absolutely DO work. The key is to running them when no one is home and then letting the room air out before reoccupyng.

They work excellent in cars with smokers, pets etc.

There’s some for sale locally on Kijiji. The 3500 or 5000 will do the job. Might as well buy it since they are pretty cheap. I got a 3500 for the rentals and it works a charm.

Smokers, incense burners are all filthy animals when you imagine that’s going into their, their kids and their pets lungs.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1118 posts
1089 upvotes
West GTA
Ozone is perfectly safe as long as you don't stay in the home while it's on. It dissipates fairly quickly so you don't have to worry about exposure down the line. You can rent or buy them online, they aren't dangerous as long as you aren't in the house while they're on. Don't get a small 'retail' type unit - get a powerful unit that can do the whole house, and make sure the furnace fan is on so it circulates.

So rent one for a weekend then go on a car trip somewhere, or stay at a friend's house for a day or two. While you're at it, use it on your cars for a few hours each to freshen them up.

Doesn't mean you can skip the rest of the remediation, but it's a great final step.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2611 posts
1525 upvotes
grumble wrote: Ozone is perfectly safe as long as you don't stay in the home while it's on. It dissipates fairly quickly so you don't have to worry about exposure down the line. You can rent or buy them online, they aren't dangerous as long as you aren't in the house while they're on. Don't get a small 'retail' type unit - get a powerful unit that can do the whole house, and make sure the furnace fan is on so it circulates.

So rent one for a weekend then go on a car trip somewhere, or stay at a friend's house for a day or two. While you're at it, use it on your cars for a few hours each to freshen them up.

Doesn't mean you can skip the rest of the remediation, but it's a great final step.
would this effect anything in the home, food, dishes, paper, plastic ect? some that I have read said to not run them for too long.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
707 upvotes
Waterloo
riseagainstthemachine wrote: would this effect anything in the home, food, dishes, paper, plastic ect? some that I have read said to not run them for too long.
ozone is basically oxygen on steroids. depending on how long you keep it on for ( I would imagine for this purpose you would keep it on for atleast a day or two ) it might cause accelerated decomposition ( oxidation ) in paints , fabrics, paper etc. nothing too noticeable tho.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4050 posts
1305 upvotes
WFH
I made my own from plates and power supply ordered direct from China. It works surprisingly well for smoke and organic odours. I use it between dirty tenants.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1231 posts
927 upvotes
HAMILTON
They can be brutal. Figure out where you are going to put in and how you are going to get back in the house with it running and how to get back out.
Suggested action can be take the very deep breath, open the door, leave it open and run to where ozone generator is. Unplug it or turn off and keep running to the back door to escape leaving the back door open behind you. Release your held in breath after you are back outside.

Do NOT stay in the house while it is running. Do not bring children or pets back into the house till it has been aired out.

If you have any tpye of breathing issues, don't do this yourself as they can get worse if you are in the house while it is running.
Nov 21, 2012
26 posts
6 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote: They can be brutal. Figure out where you are going to put in and how you are going to get back in the house with it running and how to get back out.
Suggested action can be take the very deep breath, open the door, leave it open and run to where ozone generator is. Unplug it or turn off and keep running to the back door to escape leaving the back door open behind you. Release your held in breath after you are back outside.

Do NOT stay in the house while it is running. Do not bring children or pets back into the house till it has been aired out.

If you have any tpye of breathing issues, don't do this yourself as they can get worse if you are in the house while it is running.
Most of these devices have a timer setting. It will shut itself off after X minutes.