ozone generator - experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 3:17 pm
Tags:
Jan 7, 2006
449 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
I rented an ozone machine off Kijiji. Guy was definitely not a contractor.

I ran it in my empty house after taking possession to get rid of people and food odors. I put it on a timer, ran it in a different area for a week 8 hours at a time. I dropped by daily but didn't move in yet. I also rented a carpet cleaning machine and did all of the carpets, burned the curtains they left behind and got a legit duct cleaner in (not a Kijiji special).

After everything was done, the odors were all gone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2404 posts
1270 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote: I rented an ozone machine off Kijiji. Guy was definitely not a contractor.

I ran it in my empty house after taking possession to get rid of people and food odors. I put it on a timer, ran it in a different area for a week 8 hours at a time. I dropped by daily but didn't move in yet. I also rented a carpet cleaning machine and did all of the carpets, burned the curtains they left behind and got a legit duct cleaner in (not a Kijiji special).

After everything was done, the odors were all gone.
what duct cleaner did you go with? I am currently looking into this.
Got that Zoomer account!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1159 posts
853 upvotes
HAMILTON
The one I had experience with had no timer at all.......
Jan 7, 2006
449 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
riseagainstthemachine wrote: what duct cleaner did you go with? I am currently looking into this.
If you're in the Toronto area, I used SIMMCO. They mainly do commercial stuff but does residential as well. It was a few years ago that I used them, but i thought they did a good job, no hand held blowers, everything was hooked up to a giant vacuum on big truck outside.

Website is simmcohvac.com
Jan 7, 2006
449 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
luckystrike1 wrote: The one I had experience with had no timer at all.......
The machine didn't have a timer, I just used an outdoor heavy duty timer I use for Xmas lights.

Probably can use a smart plug now, those werent so common when I use the ozone machine.
Oct 2, 2018
246 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Please post your results, very curious to find out the results.

I searched around for a 3 year old vehicle with very low mileage (20,000 km) and found one at the dealership, the issue however is i could smell the odor of smoke from the previous owner. The dealership agreed to send out for ozone treatment to remove the smell and i signed the papers with the caveat of i can back out should I feel the smell is still there. I went to inspect and verify the smell a week later and the smell was still present, brought the salesperson out and they agreed the smell was slightly better but still present. The dealership cancelled the deal and we researched and bought another vehicle from another dealership.

As i mentioned please post your results, for us it didn't work however cars have soft surfaces (cloth, carpet) which likely makes it difficult. An empty house on the other hand should be hard surface so it might be the perfect situation, a house with furniture on the other hand might be much more difficult to deal with.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2404 posts
1270 upvotes
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Please post your results, very curious to find out the results.

I searched around for a 3 year old vehicle with very low mileage (20,000 km) and found one at the dealership, the issue however is i could smell the odor of smoke from the previous owner. The dealership agreed to send out for ozone treatment to remove the smell and i signed the papers with the caveat of i can back out should I feel the smell is still there. I went to inspect and verify the smell a week later and the smell was still present, brought the salesperson out and they agreed the smell was slightly better but still present. The dealership cancelled the deal and we researched and bought another vehicle from another dealership.

As i mentioned please post your results, for us it didn't work however cars have soft surfaces (cloth, carpet) which likely makes it difficult. An empty house on the other hand should be hard surface so it might be the perfect situation, a house with furniture on the other hand might be much more difficult to deal with.
not sure if I will do it at this point but it is still an option. I will repaint the bathrooms and maybe the master bedroom. So far the hepa air filter is making the smell a bit better. washed the walls with water/vinegar and left cotton balls soaked with vinegar around in dishes. going to get duct cleaning as well.
Got that Zoomer account!
Oct 2, 2018
246 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
At the very minimum get rid of all the soft material items like curtains and carpets as they hold the smell in, hard surfaces should be fairly easy to deal with by repainting and/or TSP of counters. My father chain smoked for 50 years in our family home and after he passed we painted and changed all the soft materials in time and you would never know the house had been smoked in. Good luck.