• Sep 7th, 2020 4:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32596 posts
6367 upvotes
East Gwillimbury

Ozone Generator - Snake Oil?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about Ozone Generators?

For Ozone to be effective, you need a high concentration. The problem is that any concentration, even small concentrations are not safe for people.

The smallest generator you can buy outputs 3500 g / hour

I want to use a small generator in an enclosed area to kill virus' on masks etc.

For those that don't know. These generators are typically used when detailing cars to kill odours. Larger machines are used in empty houses and hotel rooms to kill odours and mould.

Look at any bottled water and you will see that it has been ozonated to kill bacteria.

I have no scientific data on the effectiveness of ozone. Just soliciting comments and opinions. Positive or negative.
8 replies
Jun 21, 2020
6 posts
1 upvote
I have one at home and one in my own car. A lot of years I have been smoking in my room and car, but now my girlfriend says that she can't stand these odors of cigarette smoke. generators are really cool because they remove any strange smells which you could have at home or in your car, that true. However, it is very impossible to use good quality one. Before I made purchase of few models I checked the website damagecontrol-911.com. There is a big list with a lot of types. All the question I address to customer support. By the way there generators kills 99 percent bacteria. Your air in car or at home will be clean and with good smell
Last edited by CleoFuller on Aug 25th, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 4, 2010
26 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Just wondering what everyone thinks about Ozone Generators?

For Ozone to be effective, you need a high concentration. The problem is that any concentration, even small concentrations are not safe for people.

The smallest generator you can buy outputs 3500 g / hour

I want to use a small generator in an enclosed area to kill virus' on masks etc.

For those that don't know. These generators are typically used when detailing cars to kill odours. Larger machines are used in empty houses and hotel rooms to kill odours and mould.

Look at any bottled water and you will see that it has been ozonated to kill bacteria.

I have no scientific data on the effectiveness of ozone. Just soliciting comments and opinions. Positive or negative.
You're right. In effective concentrations, it's incredibly toxic to humans. In some US hospitals where they are used, you need to clear the room, and leave it for a short period before re-entering. What is good about it is that it does work in killing a lot of different bacteria and viruses, but to me, unless you're in a commercial setting that can be vacated regularly, it's not necessarily worth it. I've also seen a lot of non-certified equipment claim to make ozone, but not be able to actually prove that they do.

Source: Infectious disease consultant for hospitals and companies in NA.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32596 posts
6367 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
@Andrew87

It’s easy to identify ozone, you can smell it. If the equipment is not generating ozone, you will know

Thanks for your feedback.
Nov 24, 2014
172 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ozone will attack the rubber in the masks.
(most often used in the straps)
FWIW UV would also degrade rubber
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32596 posts
6367 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
dieseldub wrote: Ozone will attack the rubber in the masks.
(most often used in the straps)
FWIW UV would also degrade rubber
I am using these with cloth masks and the PM2.5 carbon filters
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11557 posts
6084 upvotes
Brampton
They work. The science is sound. It's used in Commercial decontamination all the time. As mentioned it's One of the safest and fastest ways to kill a wide range of infection agents and even break down VOCs.

You can buy them. You're supposed to know how to use it. Use it in an empty confined space. Then turn it off and cycle fresh air thru to get rid of the extra ozone.

For your used Why not use a UV-C light in a small metal box. Easier to control. Side effect is the UV-C may break down your masks.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32596 posts
6367 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tebore wrote: For your used Why not use a UV-C light in a small metal box. Easier to control. Side effect is the UV-C may break down your masks.
UV-C only works if all the areas are exposed. For masks with multiple layers, the light may not penetrate secondary layers.

Can’t escape a gas though