• Apr 18th, 2012 2:06 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 21, 2010
3362 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

P.O.T.S. (Plain-old telephone service) options other than Bell or Rogers

Hello, My contract with Bell is finishing up soon (home/TV/internet) so I am switching the internet to Teksavvy, unfortunately I realized I have to pay 10 a month for dry loop and since I need to get a new home phone anway I might as well look for other POTS resellers in my area. Teksavvy unfortunately does not offer home phone in my area (except for VOIP) so I have to look for other POTS service that is hopefully around the same price range or cheaper. I just need basic POTS since I dial an access number for long distance anyway. Bell and Rogers are $30-35+ for basic service while Teksavvy is $21 for basic. VOIP is considerably cheaper but I need POTS for work (plus paying 10 bucks on top of VOIP equalls the same price anyway).

What other options do I have in terms of POTS resellers in the Scarborough area?

Thanks in advance.
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8996 posts
2536 upvotes
London
Shouldn't Bell be $21.25 + 911 charge a month?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2344 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
What about magicjack?

I've been using it for almost 2 years now and not have a problem yet ... only when the power outage or internet is down

edit: NVM you said no voip ... I am not sure if magic jack can dial access numbers

edit 2: If access numbers are 1-800 numbers, then magis jack would word but if not NVM
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19443 posts
4056 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Ottomaddox wrote: Shouldn't Bell be $21.25 + 911 charge a month?

Ahahahaa hahah ahhahahahahahaaa hahhaaaaa :lol: :lol: :lol: :facepalm:

Expect to pay $40-50 per month for POTS with Bell after they hit you with all of their surprise fees and stuff.
ckhw wrote: How about TekSavvy cable Internet service?

+1
Unfortunately the OP cannot get Teksavvy due to regional issues.

I've had TekSavvy home phone since 2009 and it's been 100% problem-free.
- Casual Gastronomist -
[OP]
Banned
Jan 21, 2010
3362 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
yep, Bell hidden fees are ridiculous! They didn't even honor the first month bundle they promised me and when I asked them they said "what offer?" (they only gave me one free month of TMN, offer was 3 free months, they never honored the bundled discount they promised but gave me a 10 dollar rebate the next month instead, i signed up for basic phone but they they signed me up for premium with contract, it took three months of calling them to waive the contract (but still charged me for premium for those 3 months), after that they also signed me up for other extra features I didn't sign up for in basic which also took a few months to fix. With internet, I asked if this was a Wireless N router they were providing and sales person said yes (even the technician who was installing it). I have also yet to see the promised speeds that I am paying for. I am too busy to waste time talking to them all the time and I have to admit I have missed a lot of charges in the monthly bills that were questionable and only now have I started to check on it. That is just some of the BS they pulled on me and I am just tired of it now that TekSavvy DSL is finally available in my area again.

I tried magicjack but has problems connecting to a specific US number I need to dial to for work. :(
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20434 posts
14045 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
crowTrobot wrote: My contract with Bell is finishing up soon (home/TV/internet) so I am switching the internet to Teksavvy, unfortunately I realized I have to pay 10 a month for dry loop and since I need to get a new home phone anway I might as well look for other POTS resellers in my area. Teksavvy unfortunately does not offer home phone in my area (except for VOIP) so I have to look for other POTS service that is hopefully around the same price range or cheaper.
How could you have got POTS and DSL through Bhell and now can get DSL from Teksavvy but not POTS? Are you/TSI sure about that?

What other options do I have in terms of POTS resellers in the Scarborough area?
Perhaps Yak or Primus but I'm not sure they offer POTS.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19188 posts
1684 upvotes
"VOIP is considerably cheaper but I need POTS for work"

Er... why? This makes no sense to me. Do you mean you need a landline for work? Landline != POTS.

I have had Vonage for almost 10 years now and never had an issue. Their pricing seems to be a tad higher than some other fly-by-night VOIP providers, but in my experience talking with some other people who use VOIP, you seem to get what you pay for. My landline is important (to my wife mainly), and I have NEVER had an outage, and NEVER had an issue with call quality. Also Vonage is the only carrier which offers a local NB area code, which is a large factor. I may someday get a different VOIP provider, but I would never go back to POTS service.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8996 posts
2536 upvotes
London
Jucius Maximus wrote: Ahahahaa hahah ahhahahahahahaaa hahhaaaaa :lol: :lol: :lol: :facepalm:

Expect to pay $40-50 per month for POTS with Bell after they hit you with all of their surprise fees and stuff.

I must be a genius. I'm paying $21.25 + 911 fee + $2.80 for touch tone = $24.22 before taxes.

No contracts, no other Bell services.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14343 posts
2853 upvotes
Toronto
Ottomaddox wrote: I must be a genius. I'm paying $21.25 + 911 fee + $2.80 for touch tone = $24.22 before taxes.

No contracts, no other Bell services.

You no genius.. you are paying about $10 too much:

bell-home-phone-sure-you-not-legacy-pla ... e-1132112/
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8996 posts
2536 upvotes
London
hightech wrote: You no genius.. you are paying about $10 too much:

bell-home-phone-sure-you-not-legacy-pla ... e-1132112/
Another way to look at it is that I'm paying an extra $10 a month to stay out of Bhell's effed up billing system.
I don't trust any "deal" Bell gives me, and I need my phone line and other services associated with it to stay unmolested.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7503 posts
965 upvotes
GTA
Hopefully some of the posts in the thread help you find something cheaper OP.

Although you aren't going with Rogers, I just wanted to point out that their phone service is not POTS, and if you had it, it is not compatible with DSL and you'd still need dry loop.
Aug 20, 2010
287 posts
75 upvotes
crowTrobot wrote: Hello, My contract with Bell is finishing up soon (home/TV/internet) so I am switching the internet to Teksavvy, unfortunately I realized I have to pay 10 a month for dry loop and since I need to get a new home phone anway I might as well look for other POTS resellers in my area. Teksavvy unfortunately does not offer home phone in my area (except for VOIP) so I have to look for other POTS service that is hopefully around the same price range or cheaper. I just need basic POTS since I dial an access number for long distance anyway. Bell and Rogers are $30-35+ for basic service while Teksavvy is $21 for basic. VOIP is considerably cheaper but I need POTS for work (plus paying 10 bucks on top of VOIP equalls the same price anyway).

Thanks in advance.

Eh?

I'm in Scarborough near Warden and Lawrence East in Wexford. I have POTS with teksavvy. Great rates and super cheap North America 2.9c /min long distance.

Where the heck are you in Scarberia to not be able to be covered by tekksavvy? Was it their website that said no POTS for your location or was it a customer service rep?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21613 posts
2374 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: Another way to look at it is that I'm paying an extra $10 a month to stay out of Bhell's effed up billing system.
I don't trust any "deal" Bell gives me, and I need my phone line and other services associated with it to stay unmolested.

Throwing $135 a year out the window = not so genius.