P.O.T.S. (Plain-old telephone service) options other than Bell or Rogers

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2012 2:06 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
Ottomaddox wrote: I must be a genius. I'm paying $21.25 + 911 fee + $2.80 for touch tone = $24.22 before taxes.

You pay an extra fee for a standard service now? Why does anyone pay for touch-tone service these days? There's no justification at all for that fee.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21623 posts
2389 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: You pay an extra fee for a standard service now? Why does anyone pay for touch-tone service these days? There's no justification at all for that fee.

You know,
Ottomaddox wrote: Another way to look at it is that I'm paying an extra $10 a month to stay out of Bhell's effed up billing system.
I don't trust any "deal" Bell gives me, and I need my phone line and other services associated with it to stay unmolested.
:lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20687 posts
14517 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
iamnotamerican.com wrote: You pay an extra fee for a standard service now? Why does anyone pay for touch-tone service these days? There's no justification at all for that fee.
It's a decades-long standing issue with Bhell, e.g. Time to scrap Bell's $2.80 touch-tone fee

Bhell grandfathers lines that never had touchtone. Mine is one of them. I "inherited" my parents' phone number and line when I bought their house after they moved to a retirement home. That's one reason why it makes no sense for me to switch to Teksavvy for POTS. That would increase the monthly cost because then I'd be paying for touchtone. (The other reason is that $25 or $50 switching fee.)

I'm hoping to eventually be the last Bhell customer without touchtone ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5128 posts
1928 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Throwing $135 a year out the window = not so genius.

If I had to stay with Bell for some reason (thankfully I don't), I'd let them keep the extra $135/year too. The amount of hassle and screwups you would have to deal with would far exceed that amount. I can totally see someone asking to switch to the cheap plan and the Bell rep processing it as a disconnection and reconnection including waiting a few days with no service for a technician to go out, fees for disconnecting and a new connection etc. And then when you had a problem with that, prepare to spend another few days on the phone. If I had a home business or something else where I really needed to have perfect service all day every day, I'd do my very best to never contact Bell at all, even if that meant paying more than I technically had to.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21623 posts
2389 upvotes
Manatus wrote: If I had to stay with Bell for some reason (thankfully I don't), I'd let them keep the extra $135/year too. The amount of hassle and screwups you would have to deal with would far exceed that amount. I can totally see someone asking to switch to the cheap plan and the Bell rep processing it as a disconnection and reconnection including waiting a few days with no service for a technician to go out, fees for disconnecting and a new connection etc. And then when you had a problem with that, prepare to spend another few days on the phone. If I had a home business or something else where I really needed to have perfect service all day every day, I'd do my very best to never contact Bell at all, even if that meant paying more than I technically had to.

Sure, tell that to the 24 pages of people who have successfully switched: bell-home-phone-sure-you-not-legacy-pla ... e-1132112/. Myself, I have changed three lines without incident - the line items reflect exactly what was promised within the billing cycle. All calls took less than 15 minutes, wait time included, with no follow up. Bell's system is bad, just not that bad. Unless you're making $540/hour, it pays to call.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2840 posts
979 upvotes
Lethbridge
huh, I did not know this was an actual acronym for oldschool landlines, lol... Good work RFD, I learned something today.