Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3710 posts
876 upvotes
Hamilton

PA Paint Spray Guns?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the HVLP paint guns from princess auto? like these ones...

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8528499e
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8528507e

I've got a couple of exterior doors coming up that I need to paint and the last time I did one it was full of brush strokes. Is one of those guns something that would be good for that?

//edit or something like this on amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Neiko-31214A-Prof ... r=8-6&th=1
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2623 posts
1609 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Those are usually for automotive type paints. House paints are to thick for that gun. Also the Air CFM required by those is huge. Anywhere from 4.5-9cfm

Most HD or Lowe's rent spray guns
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3523 posts
1712 upvotes
Mississauga
I have to do the doors as well.. most videos online say to brush and roll the doors. I do have a airless graco sprayer... so I'm not sure yet which way I'll go... it's just a lot of work to cover up when using the sprayer.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1479 posts
285 upvotes
Grimsby
For 'a couple of doors' I would be using a sponge roller which makes a beautiful finish. I buy them from Can. Tire and for doors or any smaller job I cut them in half and use them on a shorter roller handle. Of course I need to brush the indentations but then roll removing all brush strokes on the flat surfaces.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4800 posts
4549 upvotes
Toronto
I used a Wagner paint gun for my kitchen cabinets and it's perfectly smooth, but for my exterior steel door, I was lazy (didn't want to bother cleaning the paint gun afterwards, covering up everything, you won't see it as clearly as cabinet doors, etc.) and just used a fine foam roller and it turned out very well. Not quite as smooth as a paint gun, but close. Don't just a brush or nap roller that you use for walls. You need a fine foam roller. I got them from Dollarama:

Just keep looking at it and re-roll the edges if you see streaks at the edges (where there's a bit more paint). If you roll it, walk away and come back later, you may see drips and streaks, but that's the case with all painting projects.

Don't forget to use a good primer for steel (eg. BIN, Bulleye).

If you already own a compressor and have other projects in mind, then, sure get a paint gun, but for the biggest bang for the buck and just for two doors, just use foam rollers.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3523 posts
1712 upvotes
Mississauga
I have 26+ doors to do ... I have a airless sprayer but there in no way I can remove take them outaide and do all of them in one day .. as I have to wait for them to dry.... so ita prrobably a 3 session minimum. Plus will need to sand and correct any drips and imperfections before starting .. with any painting, the prep takes the most time.. painting is the easy part.

Still not sure if I will brush+roll them in place or go through the hassle of taking them off and spray.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
4666 posts
1419 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
jm1 wrote: I used a Wagner paint gun for my kitchen cabinets
Which gun? The 250 is on sale and was going to pick it up for the cabinet
TLSRULZ wrote:
Still not sure if I will brush+roll them in place or go through the hassle of taking them off and spray.
I took them all off last time without regret, turned out perfect. It'll help with the paint leveling anyways.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)