Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 7, 2015
101 posts
6 upvotes

Pace Fixie 700C Hybrid Bike - Canadian Tire

Hello,

I am looking to buy this bike and was wondering if anyone knows about it since I am not able to find anything on this bike but I checked it out at the store and I loved it. I am looking for a single speed bike and I understand this is a fixed speed but I saw it has the flip/flop. My budget is around $300 and most bike shops are around $500.

Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pace- ... p.html#srp
11 replies
[OP]
Jun 7, 2015
101 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks for the reply. Although I have never driven a fixie I am more interested in a single speed with an option of fixie. I will check on ebay :)
Aug 24, 2008
71 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Just get a fixed geared bike or single speed bike from a real bike store like Urbane Cyclist or Bikes on Wheels or Broadway Cycle. Bikes from ebay are going to be heavy and cheap. Canadian tire bikes are low quality. If you want gears a Giant Escape 3 hybrid bike is around $500. Spending $300 on a sh*t bike isn't saving you money. Why? You will hate how crappy and slow it is.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2015
101 posts
6 upvotes
Great advice. I am now leaning towards Urbanite Lakeshore or the PURE FIX THE JULIET or Raleig Back Alley I can clearly see the difference in quality.

Any recommendation on these?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15160 posts
6551 upvotes
Ottawa
draxz12899 wrote: Great advice. I am now leaning towards Urbanite Lakeshore or the PURE FIX THE JULIET or Raleig Back Alley I can clearly see the difference in quality.

Any recommendation on these?
avoid the pure fix. Urbanite would be preferable IMO because they have lighter frame and wheels.
Aug 24, 2008
71 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Go to Urbane Cyclist and Bikes on Wheels and do a test ride. The Urbane is more money and the Raleigh is cheaper. They will ride pretty much the same. Spend some money and get a Wald front rack or rear rack for a milk crate. YNOT pedal straps are nice and big. If you are picking sizes. Go smaller. You can't shrink a big bike. Don't have the sales person sell you a bike from the floor if you don't feel it fits.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2015
101 posts
6 upvotes
dp wrote: Go to Urbane Cyclist and Bikes on Wheels and do a test ride. The Urbane is more money and the Raleigh is cheaper. They will ride pretty much the same. Spend some money and get a Wald front rack or rear rack for a milk crate. YNOT pedal straps are nice and big. If you are picking sizes. Go smaller. You can't shrink a big bike. Don't have the sales person sell you a bike from the floor if you don't feel it fits.
Urbane
Thanks for the reply dp. I am now down to back alley from Bikes on Wheels or the Lakeshore from Urbane. I drove the Lakreshore and it was excellent and very very smooth and the bike is extremely light - seeing the back alley today. Both seem to have different metals and I am reading Lakeshore is the better bike but to your point I suspect both will ride the same although back alley is cheaper.

Is back alley a good bike? I got fitted for a medium which felt about right..
Aug 24, 2008
71 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Both bikes are made in Taiwan or China from chromo-moly steel. Its the parts that make the difference and when YOU ride it. You decide if the Lakeshore is worth the extra money. Fitting a bike is more complex that what I am going say right now. But you need some crotch clearance for riding in the city and you need to be able to reach the handlebars well. Some people like to have the bar and saddle at the same height. Some like the handlebars lower for a faster more aggressive position. Just ride the bike and go with your instinct.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15160 posts
6551 upvotes
Ottawa
dp wrote: Both bikes are made in Taiwan or China from chromo-moly steel.
The Raleigh looks to be made of hi-tensile steel
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4291 posts
419 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Anyone tried the Critical Cycles fixed/single-speed bikes on Amazon? Price is about $250.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10176 posts
2799 upvotes
Montreal, QC
warpdrive wrote: The Raleigh looks to be made of hi-tensile steel
Yep, lots are hi-ten steel, some other bikes to consider on Amazon.ca: State Cycle and Retrospec AMOK (not the MANTRA) and if you don't mind driving across the border, bikesdirect.com

All of higher quality frame and parts