Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10518 posts
1750 upvotes
Toronto

Are packages being held at the border?

Ordered something from California and was shipped via USPS.

Item was $14.95

The last update on tracking was Apr 6th and said departed Vancouver BC.

If I try calling usps, there's no one to talk to everything is all the automated call crap.

Just wondering if I should assume it is lost or are packages being held up for 2 weeks as I heard this can be the case.
4 replies
Dec 18, 2017
836 posts
467 upvotes
London, On
If it was scanned in Vancouver, then it already crossed the border. Then it would have 4 or 5 day truck ride across the country, a 4 day holiday weekend and then a backlog of trailers being processed at the sort plant in Toronto, and then whatever possible backlog the local postal delivery terminal has to deal with. Too early to assume a loss yet. Probably didn't even arrive in Toronto until middle of this past week, and that's assuming it actually left Vancouver when it was scanned on the 6th.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
13163 posts
10393 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
djeffery wrote: If it was scanned in Vancouver, then it already crossed the border. Then it would have 4 or 5 day truck ride across the country, a 4 day holiday weekend and then a backlog of trailers being processed at the sort plant in Toronto, and then whatever possible backlog the local postal delivery terminal has to deal with. Too early to assume a loss yet. Probably didn't even arrive in Toronto until middle of this past week, and that's assuming it actually left Vancouver when it was scanned on the 6th.
This

PLUS ... everyone is contending with Covid to some extent
With more people out sick / working from home
And the available work force being redeployed in some cases to other requirements

Example ... here’s the notice on the CBSA Website
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html
⚠️ CBSA focus on Coronavirus (COVID-19): March 24

The Canada Border Services Agency is focused on the safety and security of Canadians. For this reason, many of our resources are currently concentrated on COVID-19. Some of our service standards may be impacted as a result, and you may experience delays. We appreciate your patience and cooperation. For the latest on cross-border programs and services, call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-461-9999.
Everyone needs to truly ADJUST THEIR EXPECTATIONS
And go more with the flow right now
These are TOUGH DAYS
And there’s ALWAYS someone out there who’s got it worse than you

BE KIND, BE CONSIDERATE
BE PATIENT
BE GRATEFUL to those on the front lines
STAY SAFE
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
7633 posts
3031 upvotes
All my next day deliveries 4X Canada Post, 2X UPS, have been 2-4 days and that's to travel less than 100km. COVID precautions are slowing everything down. Plus, there is a shortage of containers, limited air cargo, etc.

Canada Post has suspended its delivery guarantees so you can't even complain anymore. You just gotta lump it.
Jun 3, 2010
896 posts
330 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I made a couple of purchases, one from the US and the other one was from Ireland. The US one wasn't too bad as it took less than a week for it to travel from Jamaica, New York into Canada...but It is at Montreal and not Toronto. Hence now it is waiting on logistics from Canada Post to bring it another 5 hours by truck.

The one from Ireland -- and I didn't know it was from Ireland when I ordered on Amazon.ca -- that one is in the black hole of "Left originating country". I don't know if this one is still sitting in Ireland - after clearing OUT of Ireland - or if it is actually on a boat floating its way to Canada. I have heard that there are less air delivery into Canada from other countries...but I don't know if this is a rumour or fact. In any case, it has "left Ireland" since April 10...