Travel

Paid extra for an early flight and got rebooked anyway - any recourse?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2017 12:11 pm
[OP]
Oct 11, 2010
965 posts
305 upvotes
Charlottetown

Paid extra for an early flight and got rebooked anyway - any recourse?

I booked a hotel + flight package through expedia.ca back in December for a trip to Vegas. There are only two flights that fly out of my province (charlottetown PE), 5:45am which gets to vegas about 11am their time or 5:45pm which gets to Vegas around 10:20pm their time.

When I booked the trip I opted to change the flight to the early morning one so I can get more time on my stay instead of arriving late at night, I forget how much more it was but I believe it was at least $100 per person more than the later flight.

Well my flight was suppose to be tomorrow morning at 5:45am but I just got notice that it has been cancelled and air canada has rebooked me on the later 5:45pm flight.

I'm just wondering if I have any recourse here to get a partial refund or something else since I paid extra to fly out early and they changed it last minute. Or if I might be able to add an extra day to the trip without it costing an arm and a leg to change the hotel + flight reservations on such short notice. Should I be barking at Expedia or Air Canada?

I know it's not the worst thing in the world but I do feel that I am out a few hundred bucks I paid for the earlier flight + losing almost a day of my all ready short trip
14 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35596 posts
9645 upvotes
Ottawa
Did Air Canada actually make the changes?
Did you have a ticket issued and an itinerary and booking reference from Air Canada?
Does that early morning flight still exist? Does your connecting flight (for the early morning trip) still exist?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
May 7, 2015
528 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The biggest challenge you'd have is to prove that you incurred additional expense at the time of booking, especially as you booked through a third party (Expedia).

Even if you booked it direct with Air Canada, it's impossible for them to look at what the two flight options happened to cost at the moment you made the purchase.

Also, if you could somehow prove that you suffered a material loss (ie unused hotel night, or missing an important event/business meeting/etc) you might get some compensation, but if it's just a matter of lost leisure time, not much you can do there.

If you had booked an Air Canada Vacations package direct with ACV, you MIGHT have been able to make a persuasive argument about getting an extra hotel night, but as the hotel was booked on Expedia, AC won't do anything about that.

Sorry, it sucks, but not much you can do.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6133 posts
1993 upvotes
Thornhill
Well, if you paid $100 more than you need to ask for refund for that amount. You also have the right to cancel and book with someone else.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2196 posts
974 upvotes
Alberta
I would be pissed. That's a full day you're losing. What's the point of going to Vegas that late by the time you're out of the airport and get to your hotel it's midnight. If i was going clubbing by the time I'd be showered and dressed it would be after 1am. So dumb
Apr 7, 2009
107 posts
37 upvotes
PEI
We are expecting freezing rain here tomorrow morning (I'm in Charlottetown too) was the flight cancelled due to weather forecast? If so, I don't think there will be any compensation as they want to get you to Vegas alive!
Apr 12, 2012
798 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
This is why we buy travel insurance.

I once was forced to stay in Vancouver for a night traveling from Asia back to Toronto. The first leg (Asia-Vancouver) got delayed because of a mechanical issue, so I missed the last plane from YVR to YYZ @ 6pm. Air Canada gave me the first flight out the next morning, a hotel room next to the pilots and $25 in voucher. Just FYI
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2388 posts
601 upvotes
Ontario
See if you fly to montreal or toronto and get an earlier flight from there. The time difference is a killer. It will be like 3am your time by the time you get your room.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1950 posts
848 upvotes
HK
Not 100% sure, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the airline's obligation is to get you to your destination within 24 hours. That being said, I would contact the airline directly and look for alternative option (like leaving the day before etc.) They will try to avoid booking you on another airline.

I hope you have travel insurance, since it's so cheap to begin with.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1950 posts
848 upvotes
HK
abc123yyz wrote: I would be pissed. That's a full day you're losing. What's the point of going to Vegas that late by the time you're out of the airport and get to your hotel it's midnight. If i was going clubbing by the time I'd be showered and dressed it would be after 1am. So dumb
On the bright side, Vegas doesn't have any clocks and runs 24/7, and arriving at the club at 1am is considered early ;)
[OP]
Oct 11, 2010
965 posts
305 upvotes
Charlottetown
Well I ended up calling Expedia last night. I explained my predicament and the lady put me on hold for 15 minutes and came back and said I checked with Air Canada and the flight they put you on is the only other flight that day (I knew that all ready). She passed me off to a supervisor that said that AC authorized them to change the return flight date if I wanted to extend the trip which I ended up having them do (took another 30 mins). They said that the flight I had was the same price as the other but they are comparing prices from the same day, not when I booked when it was $200 more for the early flight (although there was no real way for me to win that argument). They tried to make me feel better saying that it normally costs $200 to change a flight and that they waived it for me.. I would have preferred a credit or free hotel room for the night but it was late and I was on the phone for nearly 50 minutes and didn't bother pushing it any further. Anyway I'm flying out today at 5:45pm and staying an extra day to make up for lost time, the weather looks great in Vegas for the duration of the trip so it will be nice getting out of -30 and in to +24
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6133 posts
1993 upvotes
Thornhill
lemieux035 wrote: This is why we buy travel insurance.

I once was forced to stay in Vancouver for a night traveling from Asia back to Toronto. The first leg (Asia-Vancouver) got delayed because of a mechanical issue, so I missed the last plane from YVR to YYZ @ 6pm. Air Canada gave me the first flight out the next morning, a hotel room next to the pilots and $25 in voucher. Just FYI
...and if you had a credit card, you would've gotten up to 10X more, no need to buy additional travel insurance. Also, Airlines MUST provide you with room,food,etc along with compensation as per new rules.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8555 posts
2500 upvotes
Mississauga
When airlines make a change to your schedule, you don't need to accept it. They usually give you an option to agree or not accept. Expedia should not be charging a change fee for these circumstances.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8714 posts
3171 upvotes
Toronto
OP got an acceptable resolution. Good for you.
Raggie wrote: When airlines make a change to your schedule, you don't need to accept it. They usually give you an option to agree or not accept.
Yes, you can ask for full refund. But then you also don't go to your vacation.
Raggie wrote: Expedia should not be charging a change fee for these circumstances.
Yes they can, if they want to be hard nosed about it. AC did change the OP to another flight that will still get to LAS.

At the end, the OP did ask to come back later, and Expedia did manage to get AC to agree, not to charge extra. But that is more of a goodwill gesture from AC. If AC didn't offer that goodwill gesture to waive the change fee, Expedia would not absorb it either and the OP would have to decide whether to pay for it, or take the original flight back.

So it's not correct to say Expedia should not charge a change fee in this situation. If AC wanted to charge, Expedia would pass on the charge.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6203 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
lemieux035 wrote: This is why we buy travel insurance.

For a delay that long any airline will give you a room and food voucher, the insurance is only good for incidentals you have to incur due to the delay.