• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2020 2:45 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Pronoia wrote: Hopefully the government, and not the small business will pay the sick days. Of course, I'm sure most small businesses don't need another excuse for their employees to phone in sick for work.
The government is still the people and will end up being an additional tax to all of us including small businesses. The government seems to love playing Santa Claus without recognizing that we are being burdened with more and more taxes while decreasing the value we get for it. Adding more and more entitlements is just going to end up making it near impossible for the private sector, especially small businesses to operate, such that we turn into a country whose primary industry is government.

What happens when the government is so big that it cannot feed itself? I think we might be there already.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
This is more of a concern for some sectors than others. Every company I've ever worked for has had at least 2 weeks paid sick leave. Our own small company policy is 12 days (not rigidly enforced), after which the intention is that EI sick leave would pick up, then LTD benefits (assuming the person applies for those benefits). I don't think it has ever been abused, or that anyone ever had to go past 12 days.

The issue small business fears is that their employees would treat a government-imposed program like the ridiculously over-generous sick-leave benefit that government employees get, where they come to see it as right to take an extra 2 weeks off per year just because they can, and if they don't they must be paid out for "unused" sick time when they leave/retire.

It's all too easy for politicians to buy favor with the public by mandating that companies pay for a new benefit, as they did when they mandated an extra statutory holiday. Let's see the government pay for it if they want to impose new requirements!
Banned
May 20, 2020
464 posts
310 upvotes
City of Toronto
scouzer wrote: Lol, do you think Kenney or Ford are interested in Trudeau's ask?
Doug Ford says he doesn't support federal paid sick leave plan
Premier Doug Ford said today that he doesn't support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's plan to enact a national 10 days paid sick leave policy.

"I don’t support it. We have legislation that protects jobs," Ford said during today's news conference at Queen's Park.

He said that paid sick leave was a priority for British Columbia, but "there wasn’t too much take up" on that issue from other premiers. Ford said he would rather see federal money go toward long-term care or cash-strapped municipalities.

Trudeau has proposed giving the provinces $14 billion in the form of targeted transfers to help them recover from the coronavirus pandemic. Ford countered today that Ontario alone needs $23 billion.

The prime minister has not yet indicated how the national sick leave policy would be paid for.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)