Automotive

Is paint protection film (PPF) worth it on a new $50k+ vehicle?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2020 2:08 am

Poll: Did you get paint protection film (PPF) on your new car?

• Total votes: 88. You have voted on this poll.
Yes (MORE than $50k new)

39%
No (MORE than $50k new)

28%
Yes (LESS than $50k new)

17%
No (LESS than $50k new)

16%
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3287 posts
677 upvotes
Markham, ON
Sanforized wrote:
Yup, and it's self-healing without heat needed. My installer gave me XPEL pricing on it so I went with it. The ceramic coating is nice because I didn't ceramic coat the rest of the car so at least the PPF'd parts of the car have it.
I would've done it just for the sake of consistency. Now you're going to get streaking water on the rest of the vehicle and only the front will be easier to clean. Even during the winter when there's freezing rain, your doors will be coated in ice but the front will have frozen water droplets lol.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Jul 13, 2008
19193 posts
3783 upvotes
GTA
EnyCe wrote: I would've done it just for the sake of consistency. Now you're going to get streaking water on the rest of the vehicle and only the front will be easier to clean lol.
Even half the car is okay with me because it's small anyways (ND Miata) so it doesn't take long to hand wash.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3520 posts
246 upvotes
Richmond
I didn't even bother asking about ceramic because that's definitely more of a personal thing. From what I read it seems to make the car easier to clean, like a semi-permanent quality wax. But not really worth it for those who rarely wash their cars anyways.

Nowadays with PPF, ceramic and tints, it's sort of crazy how much money can go into an already depreciating asset. Personally I'm trying to find that sweet spot between spending too much and spending just enough to protect the car's value.

Most places are quoting around $600 for just the front bumper. That might give an OK ROI considering it's taking 80% of the damage.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
4521 posts
1974 upvotes
Vancouver
I had this done on my BRZ when I bought it new. Don't think it made a difference, within a couple years, there were still swirl marks on the paint. Haven't bothered with any car since.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10114 posts
2167 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
A ceramic coating will only protect against very light scratches, and if it does scratch the light scratch will be in the coating instead of the clear coat. Also you need ot maintain the coating, wash it with proper PH Neutral soaps and use soft microfiber cloths and so on or else it will scratch.

As for PPF thats different then Ceramic coating but you did not specify which you got on your car.
notenoughsleep wrote: I had this done on my BRZ when I bought it new. Don't think it made a difference, within a couple years, there were still swirl marks on the paint. Haven't bothered with any car since.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
4521 posts
1974 upvotes
Vancouver
sickcars wrote: A ceramic coating will only protect against very light scratches, and if it does scratch the light scratch will be in the coating instead of the clear coat. Also you need ot maintain the coating, wash it with proper PH Neutral soaps and use soft microfiber cloths and so on or else it will scratch.

As for PPF thats different then Ceramic coating but you did not specify which you got on your car.
I used opticoat. Did use microfibre cloths but just regular Meguiar's wash and wax, maybe that's why? Anyways, I seem to change cars every 4 years and I always get minor dings/scratches anyways, so decided not worth it any more
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3515 posts
2294 upvotes
GTA
EnyCe wrote: It depends on the vehicle and the demand.

I personally got my Tesla Model 3 ceramic coated and PPF'd on my 3rd day of delivery. I booked months in advance because detail shops have been filled with Teslas recently.
Tesla is out of question here. My wife's nail polish has more durable finish than Tesla's akvarel paint Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jul 20, 2014
838 posts
166 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I have a brand new G550, Should I be doing this? I think im going to wrap it instead...
Jul 21, 2009
943 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
M@rk wrote: I didn't even bother asking about ceramic because that's definitely more of a personal thing. From what I read it seems to make the car easier to clean, like a semi-permanent quality wax. But not really worth it for those who rarely wash their cars anyways.

Nowadays with PPF, ceramic and tints, it's sort of crazy how much money can go into an already depreciating asset. Personally I'm trying to find that sweet spot between spending too much and spending just enough to protect the car's value.

Most places are quoting around $600 for just the front bumper. That might give an OK ROI considering it's taking 80% of the damage.
Its not hard to DIY if you goal is to just protect the paint but it takes a pro to make it look good.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10114 posts
2167 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
No the soap would not of caused it but even a snow brush and not washing it properly and safely. If it ever went through a car wash that would be why to. If you change cars often then yes not worth it
notenoughsleep wrote: I used opticoat. Did use microfibre cloths but just regular Meguiar's wash and wax, maybe that's why? Anyways, I seem to change cars every 4 years and I always get minor dings/scratches anyways, so decided not worth it any more
0_o
<_<
>_>
Jul 13, 2008
19193 posts
3783 upvotes
GTA
submarine wrote: I heard earlier Tesla's had very thin and soft paint so many owners were quick to CC and PPF their cars.
EnyCe wrote: Only the Model 3's, but even if it wasn't, I still would've done it as I detail cars often.
Interesting you mention the Model 3 specifically because there was just a class action launched against it: https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/06/02/cana ... nt-issues/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5380 posts
4050 upvotes
M@rk wrote: Am I missing something? From a purely financial perspective does it ever make sense to do PPF?
Well this all depends on how OCD you are with chips. I think in Ontario, you guys don't throw sand/gravel on the road in winter, only salt. So PPF doesn't really make that much sense.

Here in AB, our cars are sand blasted for 7-8 months a year. PPF is life unless you drive a beater.

$2000 for full front is way too much. Here, full front, lower rocker panel, a-pillar partial roof and bumper rear deck on an SUV is around $1300+GST. Partial can be had for 1/2 that.

As for ceramic coating, I'm new to it as I just ceramic coating my GLC43 with full front PPF. My initial impression is that it makes cleaning much easier. All the bugs I hit on highway either didn't stick or comes off very easy. So that's a bonus. Longevity, I guess we'll have to see. I used to do 2 detail session a year, before and after winter. But if it holds up as advertised and I may be only need to do once a year or every 2 years.

Now if you have a new car, ceramic coating is simple as you have very little correction needed on the paint. There is very little prep (wash, clean, clay, isopropyl wipe) and it just go on/off like any wax products (but you definitely want to watch for curing temperature).

Older cars is where you may want more paint correction to be done before you apply it and why some shops ask for premium $ for ceramic coating.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5380 posts
4050 upvotes
bruenor9 wrote: I have a brand new G550, Should I be doing this? I think im going to wrap it instead...
PPF and wrap are different unless when you say wrap you mean with PPF material.

Vinyl wrap are much thinner and chip/peel much easier.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5380 posts
4050 upvotes
submarine wrote: I heard earlier Tesla's had very thin and soft paint so many owners were quick to CC and PPF their cars.
I would. If there is any car that you will keep for a long time it's a Tesla. So may as well protect it.
May 25, 2020
29 posts
13 upvotes
I don't mean to derail the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations on doing a wrap/ppf/something else on the trunk of a sedan to protect from a bike mount?