Automotive

Paint protection film (PPF) - yay or nay?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 2:04 pm

Poll: Partial paint protection on front of car?

• Total votes: 40. You have voted on this poll.
Yes, worth it

58%
No, not worth it

43%
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
369 posts
239 upvotes
GTA

Paint protection film (PPF) - yay or nay?

New lease this spring, Golf R (Grey in colour). Will buyout at end of lease and decide if i want to keep or sell.

I do lots of highway driving.

This is my first new car so I am not sure how easily rock chips happen & how bothered I will be by them.

I dislike the idea of PPF since it reminds me of people putting plastic wrap on furniture but I also dislike the idea of unsightly rock chips. As a potential future buyer, would you pay extra for a car that had partial PPF vs no PPF?

Advice?
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29349 posts
15160 upvotes
Toronto
If you are intending to buy and keep afterwards, then perhaps, it is worth. Otherwise, no point of doing it.

Doing a partial hood is pretty ugly to me. Spend the extra $ and do the whole hood and front end. As for resale down the road (having this ppf), I say don't count on it to recover what you paid for the ppf installed, that's because the ppf should last around 6 yrs or so before you start seeing aging and in needs of replacement. Assuming your car is a 4 yr lease and you intend to sell the car in the 5th or 6th year, potential buyer may see your installed ppf as an added cost for them to rip it out and put in a new one.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35645 posts
21730 upvotes
Center of Universe
I've had them on all of my new vehicles and it's definitely worth it.
The alternate is rock chips!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6706 posts
6711 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Depends how much you love your car. I've seen people treat their beige corollas like bentleys, and i've seen people treat their bentleys like beige corollas.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Jun 20, 2015
647 posts
174 upvotes
Place
I would get it for my cars. They do protect them from paint chips and scratches which can affect the car's resale value. if you are going to own it after the lease, for sure, install one.
Good luck!
[OP]
Jan 22, 2017
369 posts
239 upvotes
GTA
aeba7 wrote: Depends how much you love your car. I've seen people treat their beige corollas like bentleys, and i've seen people treat their bentleys like beige corollas.
Beige corollas are Bentleys
Jul 23, 2013
259 posts
104 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Do it op. If you do a lot of highway driving, your front end is gonna end up getting sandblasted with rock chips no matter how careful you are.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11509 posts
3222 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have a new golf R also and got the full front in PPF and its well worth it. Without it the front of the car would be a disaster already. well worth the money. I even put ceramic coating on the paint also and do it yearly since i can do it myself which is also worth it. IMO.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2672 posts
1938 upvotes
Markham
My car has PPF and does a lot of driving on the 401, thus far I've had zero rock chips actually chip off any of the paint. Before, the only way you could tell it did any highway driving was with the windshield as it was pitted. Now, it looks like its a garage queen because my windshield was finally cracked and I now have a new one in its place. I'm sure that without any PPF my car would exhibit a lot of damage. The best part about having PPF...literally nobody could tell it was even there, I'd have to point it out before they even see it. My 2004 Subaru Impreza had a half hood PPF, the area the PPF covered was immaculate, the only thing bad about it was the adhesive was old and thus yellowed a bit. The other bits the PPF didn't cover however, that was full of paint chips all over making it look very weird as it looked great up until the PPF ends. As a result when I got the PPF done on my current car, I made sure the entire front was covered. I feel with PPF you go all the way or not at all. Absolutely no regrets.

I will however say, its only worth doing if you genuinely love the car you drive and you want it to look very well cared for. If you don't anticipate keeping it for a long period of time, the up front initial expense will be heavy. The result of rock chips on a car being sold as used is actually considered normal wear and tear, and very few I feel will pay out extra to make up for the cost of the PPF.
Jan 15, 2013
379 posts
252 upvotes
What is a typical cost and any shop recommendations?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9992 posts
4960 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
zsj495 wrote: What is a typical cost and any shop recommendations?
Head lights and Mirrors, Full hood, Full fender, Full front bumper $1600+
Complete vehicle protection $4500+
http://www.sekanskin.com/pricing/
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5333 posts
3800 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Make sure you get a good quality film as a lot of the cheaper ones turns colour or starts to warp.
Apr 6, 2008
141 posts
101 upvotes
Vancouver
In my opinion it's not worth it. At the end of the day, it's a car and it's meant to be driven so it will pick up some blemishes here and there regardless if you have PPF or not (i.e. passing a semi on the highway and a rock flies into your door and you've only covered the front end). If the chip is bad enough to go through the PPF and damage the paint, you're basically screwed as you have to replace the film as well.

I say get some Dr. Colorchip and touch it up every year and get a bumper respray every 4/5 years if it bothers you enough.

If you do go the PPF route, make sure to pick the best installer you can afford.