• Jun 3rd, 2016 7:53 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 29, 2009
151 posts
31 upvotes

Paint - Which Sheen?

I am painting my first floor which consists of the entrance, hallway, kitchen, dinning room and family room (open concept). What sheen do you recommend? I currently have builder "flat" paint which is horrible. I need something that I will be able to clean. I was thinking about "eggshell". What does everyone use?

Thanks
4 replies
Sep 19, 2014
457 posts
234 upvotes
Markham, ON
Anxious wrote: I am painting my first floor which consists of the entrance, hallway, kitchen, dinning room and family room (open concept). What sheen do you recommend? I currently have builder "flat" paint which is horrible. I need something that I will be able to clean. I was thinking about "eggshell". What does everyone use?

Thanks
I used to use eggshell.
It works well, smooth and easy to clean. If you are okay with slight sheen, i definitely recommend eggshell.

Call me crazy but new place I am planning to use the flat paint again because I prefer the really matte look on the wall...eggshell and satin both has a bit of sheen to it.

Which brings me to the question, which paint has the smoothest touch but still has the flat/matte look?
Feb 27, 2012
105 posts
12 upvotes
OTTAWA
We are painting whole house minus basement with Benjamin Moore Aura. Painter recommended 'matte' finish on walls saying that although 'matte' in the past was not cleaned easily, Aura matte on the other hand is easy to clean. If you do a search for that paint, you'll reach pages with that paint's features. Also, said painter, the colour of the paint comes out richer in the matte finish.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12162 posts
8896 upvotes
GTA, ON
Most people will do eggshell for common living areas. Provides a nice finish with a little reflection.

If you want a little bit more sheen then Pearl.

I would use matte for the garage, and semi-gloss for trim. Depending on colour and physical state of front door, semi-gloss or glossy, lots of dings or bleh colour, pearl.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!