Paint smells like cheese??

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2015 5:30 am
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
346 posts
134 upvotes

Paint smells like cheese??

This is a really weird question...but we just had our contractor paint our bedroom and it now smells like parmesan cheese! Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? The paint is the BEHR no VOC kind too. We opened the windows and fans all night and it still smells. The same contractor painted our kitchen with the same paint (though not "flat" and a different can) and it didn't smell like cheese.
22 replies
Mar 1, 2011
454 posts
114 upvotes
Stoney Creek
Contact BEHR to see if this is normal, or if maybe there was a mold problem with that batch of paint. I have heard of instances where someone had mixed in water with latex paint to thin it out in order to make sure they had enough. The paint sat for a bit and developed a bit of mold.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2014
1015 posts
227 upvotes
Unionville, ON
How long ago was it painted? If it's only been a day or two you can't expect the smell to disappear so quick.
Pentium 1 166 Mhz | 32 Mb Edo Ram | Seagate 1.4 Gb Ide Hard disk | 3dFX Voodoo1 Pci Video Card | 250W PSU | SoundBlaster Pro sound card | 14" SVGA Monitor
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
346 posts
134 upvotes
I'll try and contact BEHR thanks! It was just painted yesterday. I expected paint smell, but cheese smell just seemed so weird...
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
346 posts
134 upvotes
i know when i think about it i laugh too. but i really do hope the smell will go away soon!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
Bro, I think you need to stop sniffing the paint....

J/K. It could be worse however. It could be Limburger :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6243 posts
6576 upvotes
Toronto
Well, what color is the paint? And you're a food addict, so maybe it's all in your head!! :D
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
472 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
foodaddict wrote: it now smells like parmesan cheese!
Thank you for being so clear up front. I clicked just to ask what kind of cheese and was rewarded in the OP. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6243 posts
6576 upvotes
Toronto
Even low-VOC paint takes about 8-10 days for smell to fully dissipate. Are you sure the painter didn't just accidentally a veal Parmesan sandwich in the?
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
[OP]
Jul 19, 2006
346 posts
134 upvotes
so...we put in bowls of vinegar to try and get rid of the smell (saw this as a tip on some forums) and now it smells like caesar salad. sigh
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1485 posts
1203 upvotes
Etobicoke
unbrewed coffee grounds....Had a fridge of food go bad when the power went off for a week. Used coffee grounds
May 18, 2008
767 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
LOL Caesar salad! Just need some steak now
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7647 posts
4563 upvotes
Mississauga
hoob wrote: Even low-VOC paint takes about 8-10 days for smell to fully dissipate.
Maybe it's the make of paint but I've never had any smell issues with Benjamin Moore paints. There is an initial odour shortly after applying (while it's still wet) but it doesn't linger. And certainly after a day or two the smell is completely gone.

Or maybe some people are more sensitive to odours, however slight.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6243 posts
6576 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: Maybe it's the make of paint but I've never had any smell issues with Benjamin Moore paints. There is an initial odour shortly after applying (while it's still wet) but it doesn't linger. And certainly after a day or two the smell is completely gone.

Or maybe some people are more sensitive to odours, however slight.
Or it depends on the environment/area. If there is minimal ventilation, it can take longer. However I notice the smell of all low-VOC brands I've used (Behr, Valspar, BM, Para, Zinsser, Olympic, Pittsburgh) for at least a week in the context of normal house painting.

(No, I don't have any good reason for having used so many brands of paint other than random issues of buying convenience.)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7647 posts
4563 upvotes
Mississauga
The only paint that I found that had a very disagreeable odour was a Zinsser primer: smelled like ammonia.
May 28, 2012
11695 posts
4236 upvotes
Saskatoon
If it smells anything like Kraft parmesan cheese, I can see why you'd complain. Paint usually has some odour to it...the only one I found objectionable was Sears brand (don't know if they make it anymore).
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1616 posts
266 upvotes
Ottawa
Since it hasn't been asked... have you... tasted it yet?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
24066 posts
9555 upvotes
Socially Distanced
foodaddict wrote: so...we put in bowls of vinegar to try and get rid of the smell (saw this as a tip on some forums) and now it smells like caesar salad. sigh
Are you sure there are no smokable herbs in your system?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)