Automotive

Paint splatters on GF's car

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2015 4:22 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Mar 17, 2008
663 posts
164 upvotes

Paint splatters on GF's car

http://imgur.com/a/Hd6ib

It appeared a few weeks ago, she has no idea where it is from. It's all over the hood, roof and trunk but not really the sides. Pressure washing doesn't remove it, it's kind of baked in, except on the plastic bumpers where I can remove it with fingernails.

She doesn't really care about her car appearance but it would be nice to remove it.

Any ideas?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
6225 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Wow, looks like it might be latex, hard to get off.
If you have any try wd40 and perhaps a heat gun on the big areas. The smaller splatters might come of with a polishing compound or a clay bar, but what ever you do go at it with ease.
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... AA160_.jpg[/IMG]

I would try to track down where it might of came from, perhaps a retrace of her steps, or rather tracks might help. If you can find the source leave it up to them to either have it removed or repaint the car. Was she anywhere near someone having their house painted?
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24396 upvotes
Center of Universe
Bring it in to a detailer for a complete wash, buff and wax.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: Wow, looks like it might be latex, hard to get off.
If you have any try wd40 and perhaps a heat gun on the big areas. The smaller splatters might come of with a polishing compound or a clay bar, but what ever you do go at it with ease.

I would try to track down where it might come from, perhaps a retrace of her steps, or rather tracks might help. If you can find the source leave it up to them to either have it removed or repaint the car. Was she anywhere near someone having their house painted?
Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on a thicker cloth. Keep any sources of heat as far as possible from distillates and/or mineral spirits including WD40.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
6225 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
eldiablo wrote: Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on a thicker cloth. Keep any sources of heat as far as possible from distillates and/or mineral spirits including WD40.
Heat guns aren't that hot, but even a hair dryer would suffice. And they wouldn't necessarly need be used at the same time.
But I would try extensively to find the source of the cause first.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
eldiablo wrote: Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on a thicker cloth. Keep any sources of heat as far as possible from distillates and/or mineral spirits including WD40.
Isopropyl alcohol can eat the clear coat on your car. I would not use it.
vkizzle is correct. Take it to a detailer ad for $100 he will use mild rubbing or polishing compound on the entire car and get it off. He will also put on a coat of wax.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
15098 posts
11832 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Megiaurs rubbing compound.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1953 posts
687 upvotes
ORLEANS
What happened to the front bumper?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 21, 2009
914 posts
369 upvotes
EST
My forensic knowledge thanks to the CSI series tells me this is a high velocity spray pattern.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22393 posts
3272 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Isopropyl alcohol can eat the clear coat on your car. I would not use it.
vkizzle is correct. Take it to a detailer ad for $100 he will use mild rubbing or polishing compound on the entire car and get it off. He will also put on a coat of wax.
What kind of paint are you working with? An IPA spray is one of the better polishing oil removers to get down to a base clear coat when polishing.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
6225 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
For those suggesting expensive fixes, remember op said his gf doesn't care. He just wants something easy. At least that's my take from his post.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: What kind of paint are you working with? An IPA spray is one of the better polishing oil removers to get down to a base clear coat when polishing.
An alcohol will damage paint. It can be used but, it must be diluted and not allowed to dry on the surface and washed off immediately. I say not to use it because of the potential damage it can cause if not used correctly.....but hey, it is your car and you can do what you want.
If you want some kind of paint surface cleaner, use Pre-Sol (or similar) that is used by body shops for cleaning paint surfaces.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22393 posts
3272 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: An alcohol will damage paint. It can be used but, it must be diluted and not allowed to dry on the surface and washed off immediately. I say not to use it because of the potential damage it can cause if not used correctly.....but hey, it is your car and you can do what you want.
If you want some kind of paint surface cleaner, use Pre-Sol (or similar) that is used by body shops for cleaning paint surfaces.
Never heard of damage on a modern clear coat multi stage paint. Many detailers will use a 10-25% spray regularly before waxing or coating. I've used up to 80% to level spots to touch up without issue. Alcohol is always going to be hitting paint, heck windshield fluid is alcohol.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13449 posts
7701 upvotes
Fukken wax will likely take that off. I have used it before you remove paint from clear coat.
Sr. Member
Oct 16, 2008
542 posts
39 upvotes
Vancouver
Wet sanding should be able to take that off but let a shop do it.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)