• Aug 22nd, 2021 1:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3670 posts
2987 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Painting Calculator and Prep Questions

Half of my walls seem to have imperfections that I have to deal with, so I'm scraping off some peeling paint and resurfacing/patching/sanding/etc. I have a 5 Gallon bucket of Primer but I noticed that most paint today comes with Primer already. My question is, should I continue doing my repairs and prep work with a separate Primer and then get the Paint w/Primer or just a Paint itself? The primer I have seems to cover the repairs pretty well.

I'm prepping and painting Plaster walls if that makes a difference.

How accurate are the paint calculators online (how much paint you need to buy)? Are people doing 1 or 2 topcoats of this type of paint? If you have one room which has a Ceiling that looks perfect, would you paint it or leave it alone? The walls definitely need paint.

Behr Premium Plus is on sale, anyone vouch for it's quality for the dollar? I'm looking to not spend a ton of money and still put paint that will cover well. I'm a single guy, really not caring about small imperfections as long as the Paint colour and adhesion is good.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
Gibsons wrote: Half of my walls seem to have imperfections that I have to deal with, so I'm scraping off some peeling paint and resurfacing/patching/sanding/etc. I have a 5 Gallon bucket of Primer but I noticed that most paint today comes with Primer already. My question is, should I continue doing my repairs and prep work with a separate Primer and then get the Paint w/Primer or just a Paint itself? The primer I have seems to cover the repairs pretty well.

I'm prepping and painting Plaster walls if that makes a difference.

How accurate are the paint calculators online (how much paint you need to buy)? Are people doing 1 or 2 topcoats of this type of paint? If you have one room which has a Ceiling that looks perfect, would you paint it or leave it alone? The walls definitely need paint.

Behr Premium Plus is on sale, anyone vouch for it's quality for the dollar? I'm looking to not spend a ton of money and still put paint that will cover well. I'm a single guy, really not caring about small imperfections as long as the Paint colour and adhesion is good.
I say to stay with sherwin William or Benjamin Moore mid line of paint and not buy the BigBoxstore brands. Just buy it on sale.

How many coats depends on color.. for some dark colors I had to do 3 coats to get it perfect .
Dec 21, 2020
557 posts
487 upvotes
I always do two coats of paint. I find no matter how careful there are always places where I miss with just a single coat. I also always use primer first. It's usually cheaper than paint and helps find extra imperfections before using expensive paint.

Good video on doing a prime check.

Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
RCLapCar wrote: I always do two coats of paint. I find no matter how careful there are always places where I miss with just a single coat. I also always use primer first. It's usually cheaper than paint and helps find extra imperfections before using expensive paint.

Good video on doing a prime check.

Another trick if you are painting dark colors is get your Primer tinted to the same finish color.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
672 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I always use a separate primer because I'm not convinced that this trend for primer and paint together is actually really primer and paint. I don't think its formulated any differently. Its just that people are lazy as all heck and this appeals by offering less work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3670 posts
2987 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I have a pure white primer and my wall colour is going to be an extremely light Grey, ceiling will be white (that's the Plan). So I'm not nervous about dark vs light issues.

I have an older house with Plaster and my friend is telling me to be very liberal with the paint. I guess Plaster likes to soak it up like it's happy hour. It might cost me more in Gallons than I previously thought seeing as most people have drywall nowadays.

Plan is the Primer and 2 coats of Paint on everything as suggested.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2761 posts
1922 upvotes
My home was multi colour before I painted it

2 coats of Sherwin Williams Emerald and voila.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3670 posts
2987 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'd like to say things are going well but the more I delve into it, the more I see bad plaster repairs and someone who painted over old peeling paint and everything is uneven. The spackle I'm using is almost immediately getting clumpy and it's not going to be pretty. Should I be mixing it with something? I have the Dap pink stuff that turns white. Maybe there is something better out there. Unfortunately I don't see a way to fix all the imperfections on the ceiling in the kitchen and dining room.

Looks like this won't come out too well... probably beyond my amateur capabilities but no money to spend for professional painters. Oh well, hopefully the primer + ceiling paint will hide the imperfections and I'll throw caution to the wind.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)