Home & Garden

Painting my Pressure Treated Wood Fence? How to? Paint or Stain?

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2019 1:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
669 upvotes
Stouffville, ON

Painting my Pressure Treated Wood Fence? How to? Paint or Stain?

I put up (along with the neighbours) a pressure treated fence around the property.

I have the corner lot so I have the builder Cedar fence as part of mine as well. I wanted to match the colour of the builder fence for a clean look, it's a grey colour and I have both samples of the wood as well as the paint colour from the contractor who did it.

My quesiton is, the pressure treated fence is ready for paint/stain but what product should i use? I just want to do this once, and I don't have a sprayer, i'm probably going to paint with a brush or roller but I have no idea which product I need. Do I need a paint or a stain? Is there some sort of all-in-one product that'll do it here?

Where should I look to get it?

edit: just doing a bit of youtubing it appears I can go with a solid colour all-in-one type of paint/stain and Home Depot has it with their Behr line. I'm assuming they can match the colour I need too. I'll give that a shot unless someone chimes in and suggests difference?
--
2 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1249 posts
1300 upvotes
West GTA
First, how long has it been since the wood was installed? PT wood needs to dry before staining, which takes a few months.
Second, solid stains or paints tend to peel. I do not recommend them.
Third, when you stain the fence, are the neighbours okay with it? Colour will leak unevenly onto their side.
Fourth, when you do this, it won't be 'one and done'. Stains need to be topped up every few years. Paints would peel, and will have to be stripped, sanded and reapplied.
Fifth, if you're smart with your stain, choose a penetrating oil stain (Cutek Extreme or the like). Otherwise you will be required to strip and restain every couple of years instead of just adding a top up coat.
Sixth, you may still need to lightly sand the surface to remove mill glaze, otherwise the stain will not penetrate as well.
Seventh, you may not have to do anything to the wood - PT wood can last a while before it deteriorates (potentially longer than you'll own the home). It'll weather but will stay structurally sound for quite a few years.

If you're thought through all of these comments, then I recommend you apply Cutek Extreme with a colourtone. You won't get a perfect match on the two fence materials, but unless you paint it you'll always have that issue. It's easy to apply (no lap lines), lasts the longest, looks the best, and is easiest to top up. It's expensive but has a high coverage rate. Apply it with a stain brush (a wide brush that can cover an entire slat at once). There's a 'grey' one that might help to blend out your two different woods (one of which is weathered). Don't do transparent for two reasons: first, the colour fading will indicate when you should top up, and second, it doesn't last quite as long.

Good luck!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
669 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
grumble wrote: First, how long has it been since the wood was installed? PT wood needs to dry before staining, which takes a few months.
Second, solid stains or paints tend to peel. I do not recommend them.
Third, when you stain the fence, are the neighbours okay with it? Colour will leak unevenly onto their side.
Fourth, when you do this, it won't be 'one and done'. Stains need to be topped up every few years. Paints would peel, and will have to be stripped, sanded and reapplied.
Fifth, if you're smart with your stain, choose a penetrating oil stain (Cutek Extreme or the like). Otherwise you will be required to strip and restain every couple of years instead of just adding a top up coat.
Sixth, you may still need to lightly sand the surface to remove mill glaze, otherwise the stain will not penetrate as well.
Seventh, you may not have to do anything to the wood - PT wood can last a while before it deteriorates (potentially longer than you'll own the home). It'll weather but will stay structurally sound for quite a few years.

If you're thought through all of these comments, then I recommend you apply Cutek Extreme with a colourtone. You won't get a perfect match on the two fence materials, but unless you paint it you'll always have that issue. It's easy to apply (no lap lines), lasts the longest, looks the best, and is easiest to top up. It's expensive but has a high coverage rate. Apply it with a stain brush (a wide brush that can cover an entire slat at once). There's a 'grey' one that might help to blend out your two different woods (one of which is weathered). Don't do transparent for two reasons: first, the colour fading will indicate when you should top up, and second, it doesn't last quite as long.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback.

1. 3 years.

2. Okay, great.

3. Yes. Most of the fencing, because im on the corner lot, is just one neighbour.

4. I understand. May I ask what would the builder have used/done with their contractor? They spray applied the finish over the bare cedar fencing.

5. Cutek Extreme, got it.

6. Sure, I can pressure wash and/or sand if needed.

7. I really just want to paint it for aesthetic reasons as well. The exterior facing fence extension doesn't match and it would look nice to do so.

Thanks for the reco, i'll check it out.
--