Home & Garden

Painting. Not happy with the results from the company we hired. How picky are we being or is this just a terrible job?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2022 1:13 pm
[OP]
Dec 3, 2013
951 posts
1496 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…

Painting. Not happy with the results from the company we hired. How picky are we being or is this just a terrible job?

We hired a company to do some work on our house.

We are having our house completely re painted, top to bottom, walls, ceilings, trim, window frames, kitchen cabinets, stairs along with some other stuff like removal of popcorn ceilings and installing pot lights

They almost finished painting one of our rooms today top to bottom except for the baseboard trim along the floor and the doors and one more coat of paint on the walls. My wife and I are looking at it and are not to happy. We just want to make sure we are not being to picky, We expect there will be some dripping but this seems excessive.

The project manager wasn't here to oversee but left his crew here to start painting.

-There is paint all over our shutters on every single one (8 shutters total)

-The paint on the window sills they are claiming is white, they just used the wrong finish. They will correct it tomorrow. It doesn't look white to me, especially when you see the paint on the shutters.

-There are lots of drips, not so much on the walls, the walls are ok with the exception of 2 spots where it looks like they forgot to sand after they fixed nicks in the wall but more so on the window frames. It also looks like the window frame was not sanded/prepped holes filled properly. The guy who did the window frames is not the same guy who did the walls, he came at the end to help out. The guy who did the window frames is the same guy who is about to paint our kitchen cupboards tomorrow. The doors are being spray painted but the frames are being painted by him. If you also look at the pics he also painted the hinges on the shutters, who does that? I am concerned about him painting the kitchen cupboards after seeing his trim job and painting the hinges.

The crown molding doesn't look white enough, it looks like they used the same paint as the window frames. It doesn't pop like a new painting job should. The doors, crown molding, trim and window frames are all supposed to be the same white

There is a lot of debris from the popcorn ceiling that has fallen into our hardwood cracks. They did have the area covered and it was covered well, is it just unavoidable or a result of a poor job of removing the tarping afterword.

Attached are the pics of the paint job. The very last pic is not our house but an example of the contrast we were expecting between the trim and the walls. The 2nd last pic is our old paint and trim where they have not touched yet in a different room.

Edit** We talked to the project manger and he is coming over tomorrow to look at it and told us not to worry, everything will be fixed so we are happy. He is telling us that the frames are painted white, it was just the wrong finish and that they need another coat but if we are not happy he will correct it. He said the shutters should have been tarped off he's not sure why they were not. In regards to the drips he will check those tomorrow
Last edited by Worriedone on Nov 25th, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17998 posts
8973 upvotes
Assuming everything was fine before I would be very disappointed. You seem to have had a rush job just on the trim by someone who thinks they are good enough not to mask, but are obviously not. There should be no runs, that's not normal even for a homeowner job. I'm not sure what all the crap is on the top piece of trim around the edge (and on one of the bottom corners). Whatever it is looks terrible. There is dust all over the paint on both the walls and trim. The top piece of trim has a weird ridge line / crack on the part above the shutters too.

Having these individuals paint your cabinets is a poor idea.

I think it's a terrible job assuming it was not in this condition before and they just painted over an existing crap job.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2013
951 posts
1496 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
TrevorK wrote: Assuming everything was fine before I would be very disappointed. You seem to have had a rush job just on the trim by someone who thinks they are good enough not to mask, but are obviously not. There should be no runs, that's not normal even for a homeowner job. I'm not sure what all the crap is on the top piece of trim around the edge (and on one of the bottom corners). Whatever it is looks terrible. There is dust all over the paint on both the walls and trim. The top piece of trim has a weird ridge line / crack on the part above the shutters too.

Having these individuals paint your cabinets is a poor idea.

I think it's a terrible job assuming it was not in this condition before and they just painted over an existing crap job.
It was not in this condition before they painted.

The dust is from the debris when they removed the popcorn ceiling in that room They cleaned off the tops of all the window sills except that one. There is a fine layer of dust going everywhere but we were warned that would happen.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5028 posts
1583 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My 8 year old has done a better paint job on wall patches in our house.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19444 posts
22562 upvotes
GTA
Are you paying good money for this? Might be understandable for bottom dollar Kijiji.
Any dust should be wiped down before painting.
There should be zero runs.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2013
951 posts
1496 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
engineered wrote: Are you paying good money for this? Might be understandable for bottom dollar Kijiji.
Any dust should be wiped down before painting.
There should be zero runs.
This is a reputable company. I did my due diligence. We had 3 quotes and they were the most expensive one by a few grand. Friends of ours had work done by them and they did an amazing job. We have seen the work first hand. That's one of the main reasons why we picked this company The entire project is $28k. Company has been in business for a while. They are not a fly by night operation or a Kijjiji special.

I don't want to name the company at this time as the project manager has said he will be over first thing in the am to see what is going on. He seemed very reasonable, apologetic and willing to make us happy on the phone.

They have a lot of reviews on several different platforms, are BBB accredited with reviews on the BBB platform. They provided us with a copy of their WSIB insurance, have a fleet of company vehicles all with their names/logos on it. They all wear employee uniforms so they are not a Kijjji special.

My wife just wanted confirmation that we were not being overly picky. I told her we were not but as bad as the runs are I can't figure out how they call that trim white? Especially when we discussed trim we showed him the pic of the type of white trim that we wanted, the same one posted here. I thought I was going crazy as he swears it's white paint but he was not here to see it but I'm under the impression he bought it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17998 posts
8973 upvotes
Worriedone wrote: It was not in this condition before they painted.

The dust is from the debris when they removed the popcorn ceiling in that room They cleaned off the tops of all the window sills except that one. There is a fine layer of dust going everywhere but we were warned that would happen.
The paint on the walls has dust embedded in it that was painted over. You see the little bits sticking out that look like grains of sand? That's dust or debris in the paint itself.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1521 posts
552 upvotes
Vancouver
$28k is a lot of money for paint job;

I would be unhappy if i were you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7362 posts
3077 upvotes
Unless you specifically asked for something different, white trim paint is pretty standard. Not sure how the even could mess that up. That is a really bad job.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Mar 10, 2004
819 posts
304 upvotes
Worriedone wrote: The guy who did the window frames is the same guy who is about to paint our kitchen cupboards tomorrow. The doors are being spray painted but the frames are being painted by him. If you also look at the pics he also painted the hinges on the shutters, who does that? I am concerned about him painting the kitchen cupboards after seeing his trim job and painting the hinges.

Painted hinges is a dead giveaway of poor workmanship. Fortunately you are bringing these concerns up early. Ideally you should have them stop and address before it’s too late. Definitely don’t allow them to start painting the kitchen frames until your concerns have been addressed.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1668 posts
2029 upvotes
Worriedone wrote: This is a reputable company. I did my due diligence. We had 3 quotes and they were the most expensive one by a few grand. Friends of ours had work done by them and they did an amazing job. We have seen the work first hand. That's one of the main reasons why we picked this company The entire project is $28k. Company has been in business for a while. They are not a fly by night operation or a Kijjiji special.

I don't want to name the company at this time as the project manager has said he will be over first thing in the am to see what is going on. He seemed very reasonable, apologetic and willing to make us happy on the phone.

They have a lot of reviews on several different platforms, are BBB accredited with reviews on the BBB platform. They provided us with a copy of their WSIB insurance, have a fleet of company vehicles all with their names/logos on it. They all wear employee uniforms so they are not a Kijjji special.

My wife just wanted confirmation that we were not being overly picky. I told her we were not but as bad as the runs are I can't figure out how they call that trim white? Especially when we discussed trim we showed him the pic of the type of white trim that we wanted, the same one posted here. I thought I was going crazy as he swears it's white paint but he was not here to see it but I'm under the impression he bought it.
$28K is ASTRONOMICAL for a full house paint job .... you OVERPAID

holy ****
<signature length too long>
[OP]
Dec 3, 2013
951 posts
1496 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
superscoots wrote: $28K is ASTRONOMICAL for a full house paint job .... you OVERPAID

holy ****

Didn't really overpay, if so not by much. We know we picked the most expensive company. They were the most expensive but the quotes we got ranged from 24k-28k

The painting itself was $12k. I said in the OP we are having other stuff done as well. Our entire house is 3,500 Sq feet. Everything is being painted, Trim, Ceilings. Walls. stairs etc. Kitchen cupboard repainting is $3,700. 90% of our house has popcorn ceilings and they are all being removed. New hardware on all the doors and kitchen cabinets. A total of 62 pot lights are being installed thru out the house. Old French doors are coming down. Pot lights are being inspected by ESA

Contractor was here this morning, Said it would be corrected. Happy with the response.
Last edited by Worriedone on Nov 24th, 2022 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2013
951 posts
1496 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
TrevorK wrote: The paint on the walls has dust embedded in it that was painted over. You see the little bits sticking out that look like grains of sand? That's dust or debris in the paint itself.
I'm not exactly sure what pic you are referring to. I can't see dust on walls exact in spots where it is damaged and not sanded properly. Can you tell me what pic you are referring to?

He's here now, I'll have to take a closer look and ask him. I know they had these really large sanders they used on the walls before they painted.
Nov 23, 2011
765 posts
813 upvotes
West GTA
I used to paint residential homes as a side gig with a friend. I've fixed a lot of jobs where people took the lowest quote and ended up with stuff like this.

Regardless of what you paid, this type of work is inexcusable, especially the careless cleanup on wood floors.

There is a grey area when it comes to cut lines where trim/ceiling meets drywall, and I've had people be anal about those things, which I would consider overly picky. I would not consider you to be overly picky in the slightest here. There is no excuse for splatter, paint runs, and improper prep work.

That company should be fixing everything here. Hope this helps.
Oct 25, 2017
977 posts
1004 upvotes
Just here to say it’s sloppy. Wouldn’t be happy with this BS at all so you’re definitely right to voice your concerns with the PM, and continue to do so. We should never feel that we’re being an inconvenience to the contractor, when there is a minimum standard expected particularly by a reputable company, unless of course your contract said to expect what you’ve seen so far Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16728 posts
11911 upvotes
Toronto
that's terrible work
Oct 30, 2017
617 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Terrible, especially for 12 grand.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17998 posts
8973 upvotes
Worriedone wrote: I'm not exactly sure what pic you are referring to. I can't see dust on walls exact in spots where it is damaged and not sanded properly. Can you tell me what pic you are referring to?

He's here now, I'll have to take a closer look and ask him. I know they had these really large sanders they used on the walls before they painted.
With cars we call it "dust nibs". It's when crap is either on the surface, tools are dirty, etc. and you end up painting over top. There are several spots in your pictures where I can see this. It's what prevents a smooth finish. Below is one that has a cluster of them together so easy to see.

Many things cause it, but some common causes are not cleaning the wall before you paint, using dirty brushes / rollers, having a fan going while painting, leaving a window open while painting and not straining the paint. In a homeowner / amateur job it's common to see this occasionally, but when I see them in several of your pictures it seems like there is more contamination than I think a homeowner would even run into.

It is being picky to some extent because your home is not closed, but for a professional this should not be found often. A professional will also take the paint tool and knock them off before the second coat (and hopefully have fewer in the final coat).
DustPaint.png
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13092 posts
4700 upvotes
Ontario
I would not let them touch any other room in the house until that 1 room is properly fixed to your expectations. The last thing you want is them to continue messing up rooms as it will cost you even more to fix it after the fact.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2013
951 posts
1496 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
TrevorK wrote: With cars we call it "dust nibs". It's when crap is either on the surface, tools are dirty, etc. and you end up painting over top. There are several spots in your pictures where I can see this. It's what prevents a smooth finish. Below is one that has a cluster of them together so easy to see.

Many things cause it, but some common causes are not cleaning the wall before you paint, using dirty brushes / rollers, having a fan going while painting, leaving a window open while painting and not straining the paint. In a homeowner / amateur job it's common to see this occasionally, but when I see them in several of your pictures it seems like there is more contamination than I think a homeowner would even run into.

It is being picky to some extent because your home is not closed, but for a professional this should not be found often. A professional will also take the paint tool and knock them off before the second coat (and hopefully have fewer in the final coat).

DustPaint.png
Oh I see it now, thank you for pointing that out. I'm going to have to go look closer at the walls now. I wonder if it was from the big sanding tools they were using? Or perhaps it was due to removal of the popcorn and then not washed afterwards before it was painted?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)