Expired Hot Deals

[Panasonic.ca] Panasonic.ca HOT Panasonic SC-PMX150 Upscale Internet Micro Stereo System $399.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2019 6:59 pm
[OP]
Feb 19, 2016
61 posts
284 upvotes

Panasonic.ca HOT Panasonic SC-PMX150 Upscale Internet Micro Stereo System $399.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
20%
Retailer:
Panasonic.ca
Only 20% might not seem HOT for RFD, but it's direct from Panasonic, and only until Fathers day, so don't wait.
I've never ever seen this system for anything less than $499.99.
At $399.99 it's only $30 more than the lower end SC-PMX80 for $369.99.

https://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer/a ... mx150.html

It's also available from a dealer on amazon.ca for the same price, fulfilled by amazon.
I assume they are temporarily matching the Panasonic direct price.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XTB8PR2/?co ... _lig_dp_it

This system is available in Canada, Asia and Europe, but is strangely NOT available in the USA.

A very nice micro system with higher end features like high res playback from USB and internet radio tuner.
Amplifiers are digital and it claims it has higher end power supplies and capacitors for better sound quality.
It even has a PC direct USB input on the back and wi-fi and LAN connector for internet network playback too.
The gloss black 3-way speakers and system have binding post connectors, although they won't accept banana plugs.
It still has legacy bass and treble controls, wake up timer, CD player, FM radio and bluetooth.

The thing holding me back from buying is it came out 2 years ago in June 2017, so is due for a replacement.
The Japanese Panasonic site still shows the SC-PMX150 as the top dog mini system there but...
they have a new lower priced SC-PMX90 model with optical input for plugging your digital TV audio into.
No gloss black speakers though, they have ugly black wood grain only.

https://panasonic.jp/compo/

I assume a new SC-PMX1__model will be here at the end of this year or next year with optical digital input and gloss black speakers.
Would be nice to have a subwoofer output too, seems impossible they missed that.
It will probably be $499 though.

I can't make up my mind.
I want it in my bedroom now for $399.99 plus tax, but I also want optical in and subwoofer output for future upgrading.

I called Panasonic Canada and spoke with Lee who said they still have incoming shipments of the SC-PMX150 for the next few months.
No incoming shipments of a newer model are in their system.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 20th, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
13 replies
[OP]
Feb 19, 2016
61 posts
284 upvotes
Here's some info in English on the new SC-PMX90 with optical in.
I'm sure it will make it's way to Canada and replace the current SC-PMX80.
It doesn't have the gloss black speakers, but I'm sure a model with optical input and gloss black speakers will eventually appear.

Frankfurt, Germany, 18 February 2019 – Panasonic announces the launch of three new micro systems, the SC-PMX90, SC-PMX92 and SC-PMX94.

All models boast a new AUX-IN Auto Play feature, which makes listening to streamed music via devices such as Chromecast Audio completely effortless – the systems don’t even need to be switched on to start with.

With the addition of an optical input, the Panasonic PMX90, PMX92 and PMX94 micro systems provide a vastly improved listening experience when watching TV.

SC-PMX90, SC-PMX92 and SC-PMX94: wide compatibility and a richly rewarding sound

Sources as diverse as Hi-Res Audio, streamed audio and TV are easy to access and supremely enjoyable to listen to
Panasonic pushes the boundaries of contemporary audio with its latest PMX micro systems that make listening to music from a streamed audio device such as Chromecast Audio an absolute cinch. Each system features a new Autoplay function that automatically begins playing music whenever it is detected from the Aux-in terminal. Even if the PMX90, 92 or 94 is turned off, starting to stream music to a device connected to the Aux-in will automatically switch the power on and select the correct input. For even greater control, the Panasonic Music Streaming App lets the listener create playlists or drag-and-drop to change the order of songs playing.

Using Hi-Fi grade components such as alumicroum electrolyte capacitors and metallised polyester film capacitors, Panasonic’s new PMX systems are able to deliver true High-Resolution Audio with a sound that is close to the original recording. A unique audiophile-grade chipset and USB B input ensure that when listening to music from a PC the system’s superior processing handles the DAC (digital-to-analogue conversion) rather than the computer’s inferior soundcard. All the detail and richness found in today’s high-resolution audio formats including DSD, FLAC, WAV and AIFF is reproduced and the listener enjoys the luxury of hearing studio-quality sound.

As well as Bluetooth, FM/DAB+* radio and CD playback, the PMX90, PMX92 and PMX94 have an optical input that can be hooked up to a TV. The powerful 120W system offers sound with much greater resonance and clarity than a TV’s own speakers can produce.

The PMX90, 92 and 94 are powered by the latest-generation of LincsD-amp and have 3-way speakers with silk dome tweeters, piezo tweeters and bamboo charcoal PP woofers that produce a natural, distortion-free sound.

*PMX92 and PMX94 has DAB
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2971 posts
320 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
As someone who listens to music from computer speakers or over USB-C output from a mobile device, would my money be wasted if I simply purchased this device to output my computer and phone audio?

I'm sort of intrigued by the micro Hi-fi profile but I'm not sure whether I'll get any real benefits audio-wise from it.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2016
61 posts
284 upvotes
I just spoke with someone else at Panasonic Canada who told me that the new for 2019 SC-PMX90 series is not coming to Canada. (Incorrect information, see my post #12 below).
They turned it down he said to concentrate on the promotion of the recently re-launched Technics audio.
Perhaps Technics has some exciting new models coming, but the current offering is US $2500 and strangely doesn't even have an FM or internet radio tuner:
https://www.technics.com/ca_en/products ... -c500.html
Last edited by stereoasis on Jun 20th, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 27, 2009
253 posts
100 upvotes
Hamilton
stereoasis wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 3:33 pm
Perhaps Technics has some exciting new models coming, but the current offering is US $2500 and strangely doesn't even have an FM or internet radio tuner:
Holy crap! Technics is still around? Wonder if I can get another OSAP loan at age 47 and make that investment all over again!

First I'll have to find my Birkenstocks and work socks.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2971 posts
320 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Well I got my unit from the amazon.ca link and have it set up right now with network streaming. Spotify premium was quickly thrown out as an option, and I'm currently signed up to Tidal Hifi trial.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this unit to be honest, but I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed. Tomorrow I'll connect it directly to my PC through USB.

Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4122 posts
739 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
stereoasis wrote:
Jun 18th, 2019 3:33 pm
I just spoke with someone else at Panasonic Canada who told me that the new for 2109 SC-PMX90 series is not coming to Canada.
They turned it down he said to concentrate on the promotion of the recently re-launched Technics audio.
Hmmm London Drugs has it listed: https://www.londondrugs.com/panasonic-h ... 73300.html
Same price as the 80, but out of stock - if you're right, then they'll never have stock and it could be a place holder page. No stores has it in stock according to the online stock checker.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2971 posts
320 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I discovered a DLNA app called Stream What You Hear which allowed me to stream audio from my PC over Wifi to my unit. While the unit volume over Wifi is greatly increased over PC input, I wasn't able to clearly distinguish any difference in sound fidelity. At first I had the suspicion that USB input would provide more detail than over Wifi, but repeatedly playing over the same parts of certain FLAC tracks over Wifi and USB convinced me that there really wasn't any difference.

Nonetheless, connecting my AKG Q701s to the unit still yielded a far more crisp and wider experience than with the unit's speakers. My next step is to compare the unit's headphone output with my Schiit Magni 2u/Modi2 Amp/DAC combo.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2016
61 posts
284 upvotes
I just got another call from Roman at Panasonic.
He apologizes and says that yes the SC-PMX90 is coming to Canada, and that's why it's showing up on the londondrugs link also posted a few replies above above:
https://www.londondrugs.com/panasonic-h ... 73300.html
I love the black color main unit with optical input, but hate the black wood grain speakers.

He still has no word on a new version of the SC-PMX150 with optical input though. (Maybe he will call to say he was wrong about that too).

I suppose I could buy a SC-PMX90 and a SC-PMX150 and then swap speakers and unit.
I would keep the SC-PMX90 main unit and use it with the SC-PMX150 gloss black speakers.
I would sell the SC-PMX150 main unit with the SC-PMX90's black wood grain speakers.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2016
61 posts
284 upvotes
I just noticed that the SC-PMX90 still has no internet connection while the SC-PMX150 does, so the SC-PMX90 is out of the running for me.
You can of course hook your laptop up to the USB input on the SC-PMX90 and play internet radio and spotify/tidal etc through it.
But without a laptop or computer, the SC-PMX90 has no internet access.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2971 posts
320 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
stereoasis wrote:
Jun 20th, 2019 2:07 pm
I just got another call from Roman at Panasonic.
He apologizes and says that yes the SC-PMX90 is coming to Canada, and that's why it's showing up on the londondrugs link also posted a few replies above above:
https://www.londondrugs.com/panasonic-h ... 73300.html
I love the black color main unit with optical input, but hate the black wood grain speakers.

He still has no word on a new version of the SC-PMX150 with optical input though. (Maybe he will call to say he was wrong about that too).

I suppose I could buy a SC-PMX90 and a SC-PMX150 and then swap speakers and unit.
I would keep the SC-PMX90 main unit and use it with the SC-PMX150 gloss black speakers.
I would sell the SC-PMX150 main unit with the SC-PMX90's black wood grain speakers.
Just FYI the PMX150 comes with the same speakers as the PMX100 - the SB-PMX100s.

I've decided to return my unit. It wasn't purchased with particular expectations in mind, but I'm not satisfied with the way it's been. IME my headphone setup provides superior fidelity to the speakers and takes up far less space. Even with the positioning that I've done with the speakers, they just didn't offer the soundstage that I'm used to. The headphone output of the unit is somewhat more agreeable than my current DAC/amp setup, but not enough to justify a large brick dedicated solely to driving my headphones. Furthermore, there aren't really any places in my home where I could set them up properly for extended amounts of time (my bedroom is actually the worst place to do so). The last straw was when I found out that I couldn't stream video audio over network due to the several seconds latency.

It was a learning experience, but it's time to let it go.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)