Art and Photography

Panasonic Lumix GH5M2 checks all the boxes?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2021 3:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
77 posts
269 upvotes

Panasonic Lumix GH5M2 checks all the boxes?

So I have been eargerly awaiting the GH6. I have been using the Yi M1 with a laowa 7,5mm lens for the past 2 years in my small videography/photography buisness (don't laugh, its served me very well!)

With the announcement of the GH5M2 ive come to two conclusions.

1) The GH5M2 checks all the boxes. Great stabilization, 4k60fps with no crop, vlog, built in mic jack, dual SD card, future firmware upgrades, 10bit video, weather proof, and usbc pd quick charge

2) Based on the GH5M2 im guessing the GH6 will be out of my price range. With the GH5M2 coming in at 2200-2900 is already at the upper limits of what I want to spend. (not sure if I want to go with the kit lens or not, in 2 years I have only used the laowa 7,5.)

So is this a solid buy? Anyone holding out for the GH6? If so why?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4814 posts
2946 upvotes
Buy for now, don't just wait for better otherwise you'll be forever waiting.

If you can afford the GH5mk2, do it if it provides you capabilities you need to improve image quality and workflow.

As for the kit lens, it's extremely versatile and Panasonic kit lenses are excellent, unlike the trash Canon/Nikon puts as kit lenses.

Kit lens is optimized for AF and you'll be thankful for it with live events. Be sure to plan and budget for a range of lenses.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
77 posts
269 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Buy for now, don't just wait for better otherwise you'll be forever waiting.

If you can afford the GH5mk2, do it if it provides you capabilities you need to improve image quality and workflow.

As for the kit lens, it's extremely versatile and Panasonic kit lenses are excellent, unlike the trash Canon/Nikon puts as kit lenses.

Kit lens is optimized for AF and you'll be thankful for it with live events. Be sure to plan and budget for a range of lenses.
Thank you BHRM, I appreciate your feedback! The lens does look really nice. Are the extended warranties worth it on these cameras?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4814 posts
2946 upvotes
Freefast99 wrote: Thank you BHRM, I appreciate your feedback! The lens does look really nice. Are the extended warranties worth it on these cameras?
Extended warranties are highly profitable for retailers for a product that depreciates fast....no.

Let's say in 2-3 years your camera borks, and your $150/$200 extended warranty may or may not cover it. How much will your camera be worth in the used market to buy a replacement? Probably $500, $350? Maybe GH6 will be out by then, or something way better! Save your money.

Most credit cards add another year to warranty although the claims process isn't fun, it works.