Paper Shredders...ever go on sale?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 3:32 pm
Tags:
36 replies
Nov 10, 2019
215 posts
153 upvotes
Yes, the other day when the Costco one was posted, I found out about Staples 8sheet paper shredder on sale for the same price $49.99 but is expired now.

You can search Kijiji, saw some good deals before I pulled the trigger.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15442 posts
12646 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
As the others say ...
Costco or Staples
Usually Costco is the better spot
Cuz they sell higher quality items for the same or lower pricing than anywhere else
(At least when it comes to shredders)
And you get the AMAZING Costco Guarantee
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13402 posts
2275 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I bought my shredder from Walmart. It was in Hot Deals a bunch of yrs ago.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
18897 posts
6816 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I have been keeping an eye on sales for years, they used to go for $30, not anymore.
Amazon has a line of them but they seem to be poorly designed and burst into flames randomly so i've written them off.

These days $60-80 is what your looking at for not junk.
The Costco $49.99 one is a new arrival and it may be their regular price and may go on sale someday.
You can get into Costco with a gift card instead of a membership, if someone can get you a gift card you go to the member desk and get a day pass. Use cash and not the gift card balance so you can get in twice a year with it.

Many paper shredder brands are low quality these days, its hard to figure out which are decent though i know some people with Omnitech and have had good luck with them. The Staples brand is not bad quality either, though be wary of it's plastic tines breaking and then the shredder jams up. Probably best to not fully load it. It goes on sale now and then but not for $30 in years.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Dec 22, 2007
689 posts
340 upvotes
Mississauga
-=phelan=- wrote: Looked at the hot deals section and could only find people posting about a Costco one (not a member).

Wondering if these ever go on sale as mine that I bought about 15-20 yrs ago finally bit the dust :( Only cuts in reverse now lol.
i found a cheap way to "shred"

put all the papers i want to shred into a bucket of water
rip it all apart so its tiny pieces
then pick out the paper squeezing out the water
throw it in the trash

not for everyone i know only do it once every couple of months and no parts to break

for cds there is a method i used years ago put in microwave and zap it for like 5 seconds, you'll see sparking but it will kill the cd
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12040 posts
6920 upvotes
Markham
Yes they do go on sale. I bought a Staples TRU RED one not too too long ago.

I would recommend ppl not use these shredders for "big" shreds. Occasional use recommended. If you have boxes of stuff, take it to one of the shredding companies...they have services to shred by the box as well. If it's confidential stuff, you can even watch while they shred it.

If you don't like paying...at some of the Environment days, the city councillor will bring in a shredding truck and you can bring your big shreds for them to do there. It's done in one of their shredding trucks so no one touches your stuff.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4147 posts
968 upvotes
West Side GTA
Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm looking for something that'll probably do 8-10 sheets with a staple attached on it as that's the document size that my wife usually shreds at home. Needs to be a micro shredder also not just strips, so probably looking at north of $50 and closer to a $100 :/ Will try to get it expensed :P
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
18897 posts
6816 upvotes
Socially Distanced
-=phelan=- wrote: Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm looking for something that'll probably do 8-10 sheets with a staple attached on it as that's the document size that my wife usually shreds at home. Needs to be a micro shredder also not just strips, so probably looking at north of $50 and closer to a $100 :/ Will try to get it expensed :P
Bear in mind that everyone exaggerates how many sheets they can shred. If you must have 10 sheets look for 15 or more capability. Preferably 20 or more.
Nov 10, 2019
215 posts
153 upvotes

Buy the 8sheet Staples paper shredder. Although I got it $10 cheaper 2 days ago, it really is not that bad if you pay extra now. Ive done my research and this is the lowest price for anything over 6 sheet.

I've been using it to cut both paper and regular thickness cardboard for composting and it's working absolutely great. The motor sounds like a workhorse despite the box labelling this as "usage: light". If this couldn't handle cardboard I would have refunded it. Never opened the motor to see what material the tines are just yet.

Edit: sorry it's not micro shredder
May 28, 2012
11140 posts
3276 upvotes
Saskatoon
Check out the West Costco deals thread for a picture. There is a Royal Microcut shredder on sale this week for $79.99. It cuts 12 sheets at a time. Not sure if East has the same stock or whether its on sale at the same time.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4324 posts
4377 upvotes
Vancouver
DeletedMemories wrote: i found a cheap way to "shred"

throw it in the trash

not for everyone i know only do it once every couple of months and no parts to break

for cds there is a method i used years ago put in microwave and zap it for like 5 seconds, you'll see sparking but it will kill the cd
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I actually tried that once when I needed to get rid of a confidential document and I didn't have time to drop by the office and use the shredder.

I wouldn't recommend it. Ripping bulk wet paper up into fragments is harder than you would think. You end up with a big mess that has lots of readable fragments in it when it dries out.

A lot of commercial recycling companies offer bulk shredding, and some of them have "community shredding days" when you can drop by with an accumulated box or two of stuff to shred and get it done for something like $20. That's often easier than feeding stacks of sheets through a small shredder, or coming up with your own quirky methods.

As for DVDs, just crack them (carefully, as little fragments can go shooting off). Impossible to put them back together and make them readable.
Last edited by Scote64 on Feb 5th, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1400 posts
563 upvotes
DeletedMemories wrote: i found a cheap way to "shred"

throw it in the trash

HAHAHA... your username is quite appropriate for this thread and your reply.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4879 posts
1256 upvotes
In my experience, don't cheap out on this. I think for longevity and shred capacity, you really get what you pay for.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
18897 posts
6816 upvotes
Socially Distanced
kimchibowl wrote: Never opened the motor to see what material the tines are just yet.
Take it off the basket, turn it upside down and check if there are many plastic tines up to the metal wheel
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5583 posts
3871 upvotes
I bought an Amazon Basic one few years ago after my Royal one died after many years of use. So far so good with the Amazon Basics one. Take note that we do not have a home office but we do shred everything with personnal infos on it, starting from our name, to all other infos about us. We are a bit paranoid with personnal infos that can be foud in the recycle bin.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12040 posts
6920 upvotes
Markham

I have this one...$80 (vs Reg $100). Check around and see if you can add a promo/coupon as well to make it cheaper.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2431172 ... r-tr-bmc8a
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4262 posts
3569 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this 12 sheet Amazonbasics one and have been happy with it, replacing an older one from Costco (Royal?): LINK

I like that it has overload and overheat detection which I don't think you normally see unless you pay much more. I killed my previous one by running it continuously too much. Sometimes you get into a "groove" and don't realize you've been shredding too long and need to give it time to cool down, so this one should warn me before it reaches that point. I also like that the motor is considerably heavier than my old one.

You can get 15+ sheet Amazonbasics ones, but the increase in price doesn't justify the additional capacity.

Also, for most letters that come in envelopes, you can easily rip off the top third of the letter at the fold and shred that, because it's usually the only part that has personal info. No need to shred the whole letter. Now your shredding needs has been reduced to a 1/3.