Hot Deals

[paragon-software.com] PARAGON Hard Disk Manager 25th Anniversary - FREE

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 2:05 am
Mar 27, 2013
65 posts
480 upvotes
escape1975 wrote: It's under expired deals ?!

Anyways, I just found it after trying to find a free alternative to Macrium Reflect.
Not sure how it ended up expired glad that people are liking it and finding it useful. Good one
Oct 16, 2011
218 posts
107 upvotes
Does this securely wipe SSD's? Because I know that the disk wiping process for spinning hard drives is very damaging to SSD's.
Oct 20, 2014
94 posts
80 upvotes
Trenton, on
SillyRabbit wrote: Does this securely wipe SSD's? Because I know that the disk wiping process for spinning hard drives is very damaging to SSD's.
you should only secure wipe according to the manufacturer recommendation, some have built in functionality, I have used it on samsung SSDs before. as an added protection, you can encrypt your drives with bitlocker for windows. linux has encryption options too
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
SillyRabbit wrote: Does this securely wipe SSD's? Because I know that the disk wiping process for spinning hard drives is very damaging to SSD's.
I believe not, it seems to just issue a trim ...

Possibly in the business version there’s random overwrite settings, but home users shouldn’t really need that :)
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4743 posts
2039 upvotes
Global Village
Works on USB flash drives too.
All day I dream about sports
Aug 19, 2004
793 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP

This looks to be a good product, especially for free (I claimed my key)

HOWEVER, I've been using Terabyte's Image for Windows over the years. The advantage is that they support ALL operating systems including Windows Server.

Paragon and a lot of other imaging software artificially locks out imaging of server operating systems.

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

Clonezilla is great as well but I've been happy with Terabyte's Image for windows as it's been supported and updated regularly. It works fine to clone MacOS as well (just not from a shadow image/while running).

Anyways, thx
Dec 14, 2006
261 posts
69 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Some of these features are like magic, and I wonder if I can trust it.

I just backed up my Windows 10 C: drive while running from it, and actively doing things. How? Did it make a shadow copy? Apparently: https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/89 But then I mounted it and checked it in Hard Disk Manager and it found a bunch of problems. 5235 files contain an incorrect number of links! Several segments of free clusters are marked as used. File system has allocation errors due to cross-linked files! I just scanned C: using Windows' built-in scanner and it says no errors were found. So, it seems like Paragon created a corrupt backup from an okay file system. I can however mount the image and explore and extract files inside. (See the ... menu in Disks and volumes.) Interestingly, I can see pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys, but I can't restore them from the backup. So I guess they got excluded somehow, via the registry location in that KB article.

Another feature that's like magic is merging partitions. Theoretically it's possible to do that while keeping all data in place, but practically it's a high risk operation, as you're making large changes to partition metadata. I will not test it now.
Nov 22, 2004
131 posts
42 upvotes
Thanks OP! But since nothing is truly free, why would they just give this away?
Dec 27, 2017
91 posts
82 upvotes
Have happily using Paragon HDM for several years. Thanks for sharing!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
17410 posts
4883 upvotes
Thanks. Used to use Partition Magic but might try this out...
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
Tubby wrote: Thanks OP! But since nothing is truly free, why would they just give this away?
Maybe hoping you will buy the more expensive edition for more features?
Although I still don’t know what this is missing except it being for home use only ...
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
dreamlayers wrote: Some of these features are like magic, and I wonder if I can trust it.

I just backed up my Windows 10 C: drive while running from it, and actively doing things. How? Did it make a shadow copy? Apparently: https://kb.paragon-software.com/article/89 But then I mounted it and checked it in Hard Disk Manager and it found a bunch of problems. 5235 files contain an incorrect number of links! Several segments of free clusters are marked as used. File system has allocation errors due to cross-linked files! I just scanned C: using Windows' built-in scanner and it says no errors were found. So, it seems like Paragon created a corrupt backup from an okay file system. I can however mount the image and explore and extract files inside. (See the ... menu in Disks and volumes.) Interestingly, I can see pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys, but I can't restore them from the backup. So I guess they got excluded somehow, via the registry location in that KB article.

Another feature that's like magic is merging partitions. Theoretically it's possible to do that while keeping all data in place, but practically it's a high risk operation, as you're making large changes to partition metadata. I will not test it now.
Definitely using shadow copy, I’ve backed up running systems using that before,
However it’s strange you saw errors, I wonder if it would restore properly to another drive ... hmm.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

AlCohenpst