[paragon-software.com] PARAGON Hard Disk Manager 25th Anniversary - FREE

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2020 2:05 am
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
DougO wrote: Thanks. Used to use Partition Magic but might try this out...
Partition Magic, does that still exist ?

I don’t think it would image GPT disks, if it’s so old :)
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
kleung21 wrote: Thanks OP

This looks to be a good product, especially for free (I claimed my key)

HOWEVER, I've been using Terabyte's Image for Windows over the years. The advantage is that they support ALL operating systems including Windows Server.

Paragon and a lot of other imaging software artificially locks out imaging of server operating systems.

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

Clonezilla is great as well but I've been happy with Terabyte's Image for windows as it's been supported and updated regularly. It works fine to clone MacOS as well (just not from a shadow image/while running).

Anyways, thx
Does terabyte support creating a bootable USB stick or do you need to purchase their bootit software ?
Aug 19, 2004
793 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
escape1975 wrote: Does terabyte support creating a bootable USB stick or do you need to purchase their bootit software ?
THe base install for $30-40 does everything you need. It can create usb / cd boot recovery images. I have never requried bootit (although I do have the license).

*** for those having trouble with imaging software; I suggest you disable "fast boot" in windows options (it's under "change what buttons do" under power settings => advanced).

That's a known problem where images with fastboot enabled "MAY" interfere with image restores.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
kleung21 wrote: THe base install for $30-40 does everything you need. It can create usb / cd boot recovery images. I have never requried bootit (although I do have the license).

*** for those having trouble with imaging software; I suggest you disable "fast boot" in windows options (it's under "change what buttons do" under power settings => advanced).

That's a known problem where images with fastboot enabled "MAY" interfere with image restores.
Sounds good, oh I’m assuming the recovery image is for restoring purposes only,
and cannot be used to create an image after booting from the stick and using the same stick to restore on yet another computer?
Aug 19, 2004
793 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
escape1975 wrote: Sounds good, oh I’m assuming the recovery image is for restoring purposes only,
and cannot be used to create an image after booting from the stick and using the same stick to restore on yet another computer?
Actually, that can work if you are using windows 10 and your new hardware is mostly supported (nothing funky/too custom).

I just did it yesterday.

I've restored Lenovo laptop image => HP laptop without problems using terabyte. Windows 10 pro though (sometimes windows 7 also works). You lose your windows activation status so you'll need a new windows key. Windows 10 is more resilient to startup on new hardware.

ON THE OTHER HAND. The new UEFI bios are harder to work with and often gives me a headache. Also had some issues with bitlocker encryption enabled (remembmer to backup your encryption key if you use it).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3265 posts
753 upvotes
ssiu wrote: I have a Windows 10 desktop with a spinning hard disk. It has an open slot for an NVMe SSD. I want to buy such an NVMe SSD and make it into the C: boot partition (and for virtual memory/swap file), cloning the current C: partition of the spinning hard disk into the SSD. Would this software allow me to do it easily (minimal knowledge / minimal manual intervention required)? I don't want to have to reinstall Windows, and don't really want to have to backup/restore, just want to "clone" my C: boot partition with minimal fuss. Thanks.
It looks like Paragon has integrated their OS migrate program into their " Hard disk manager " program, although I am not sure if it means the 25th anniversary edition will have it tho... :( I've used paragon's os system migrate before and it does what you want to do.
[OP]
Nov 19, 2014
917 posts
1429 upvotes
GPS - error
kleung21 wrote: Actually, that can work if you are using windows 10 and your new hardware is mostly supported (nothing funky/too custom).

I just did it yesterday.

I've restored Lenovo laptop image => HP laptop without problems using terabyte. Windows 10 pro though (sometimes windows 7 also works). You lose your windows activation status so you'll need a new windows key. Windows 10 is more resilient to startup on new hardware.

ON THE OTHER HAND. The new UEFI bios are harder to work with and often gives me a headache. Also had some issues with bitlocker encryption enabled (remembmer to backup your encryption key if you use it).
Ok yeah, I was mostly thinking about cloning same or very similar systems (laptops).
So it must create a windows PE bootable flash drive in that case, nice ...
Oct 11, 2017
121 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
ssiu wrote: I have a Windows 10 desktop with a spinning hard disk. It has an open slot for an NVMe SSD. I want to buy such an NVMe SSD and make it into the C: boot partition (and for virtual memory/swap file), cloning the current C: partition of the spinning hard disk into the SSD. Would this software allow me to do it easily (minimal knowledge / minimal manual intervention required)? I don't want to have to reinstall Windows, and don't really want to have to backup/restore, just want to "clone" my C: boot partition with minimal fuss. Thanks.
yes
Aug 19, 2004
793 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
escape1975 wrote: Ok yeah, I was mostly thinking about cloning same or very similar systems (laptops).
So it must create a windows PE bootable flash drive in that case, nice ...
Actually, in terabytes' case, they use a Linux shell to run their cloning software when running from USB. It's a more robust option as it can read MacOS and Linux partitions as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3327 posts
1356 upvotes
Used to use this 20 years ago. Was a great product back then.