Paralegal for landlord matters in Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2019 11:34 am
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
81 upvotes

Paralegal for landlord matters in Toronto

Hi guys. My sister is having some issues with her tenant in her rental house in the GTA. Do you guys have any paralegal recommendations for someone that represents landlords? Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
2010 posts
417 upvotes
Markham
Phoenix3434 wrote: Hi guys. My sister is having some issues with her tenant in her rental house in the GTA. Do you guys have any paralegal recommendations for someone that represents landlords? Thanks.
Before spending a penny on a paralegal, I would suggest the following:

1. Review the situation against the Residential Tenancies Act (link to the PDF: Bit.ly/RE4Lontariorta)
2. If the situation is in your favour as per the RTA, review the next set of actions and use any forms/documents as found on the Ontario LTB site: http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/ltb/forms/
3. If the tenant is still uncooperative, then you can request a hearing from the LTB.
4. The LTB makes its ruling based on the Residential Tenancies Act and based on the Ontario Standard Lease Agreement, despite whatever other agreement(s) you may have had in place with the tenant
5. If the LTB rules in your favour and you have additional outstanding financial items that are in dispute, you can take this matter to small claims court via lawyer or paralegal

This would be the proper way of doing things, and will save you the legal costs if the LTB rules in your favour - however it is dependent your sister having the lease agreement within the clauses of the Residential Tenancies Act of Ontario.

Good luck!
Jay Rana | 🌱 the vegan realtor
Broker, CENTURY 21 Titans Realty Inc. Brokerage
Dec 3, 2003
260 posts
78 upvotes
Harry Fine, Steven Smith, or try posting on the Ontario Landlords Watch Facebook group as a starting point
Jan 16, 2017
575 posts
339 upvotes
I would suggest to try and look at the RTA yourself. Nobody works as hard for you as you.

I had a not so positive experience with a paralegal. Tried to get more money then we agreed upon
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
Ontario has several resources for landlords to combat and pool resources against the heavily biased tenant laws in Ontario. This along with the LTB should get your sister some valuable advice.

http://ontariolandlords.org/

Be warned, some of the posts will scare people away from being a landlord in Ontario (and for very good reason).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)