Canada Marks Beginning of CBS All Access’ International Expansion
For $5.99/Month, CBS All Access Delivers Commercial-Free
Full Seasons of Current Primetime Plus Leading Daytime and
Late Night CBS Shows, in Addition to Thousands of Episodes
from CBS’ Library of Classics
Service Also Offers Canadian Subscribers Access to CBSN,
CBS News’ 24/7 Streaming News Service

Full press release: https://www.cbscorporation.com/2018/04/ ... in-canada/

Quoting John Gruber, “How many different streaming services am I going to wind up paying for every month?”
Last edited by Redmask on Feb 2nd, 2022 9:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Updated thread title
118 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10462 posts
636 upvotes
New-Brunswick
No thanks... Netflix and TMN/HBO are more than enough for me.

Oh, and I just noticed that it's MORE to be commercial free.

0/10
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2538 posts
1380 upvotes
SW Ontario
I wonder if that means the Big Brother live feeds would be available here? I used to get them with a vpn, but got tired of jumping through hoops. So this could be good. or bad. LOL
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
450 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Feneant wrote: No thanks... Netflix and TMN/HBO are more than enough for me.

Oh, and I just noticed that it's MORE to be commercial free.

0/10
Just drop Netflix..no big loss with their shrinking library and endless terrible shows
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
475 upvotes
How is the CRTC allowing this? We will all become Americans! The horror!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8834 posts
5827 upvotes
Global Village
I guess this means CBSAA will get all the best new CBS shows 1st/exclusively (like they're doing with the new Star Trek show) with the broadcast version of CBS getting just ad-filled sports and other scraps.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
scoper wrote: I guess this means CBSAA will get all the best new CBS shows 1st/exclusively (like they're doing with the new Star Trek show) with the broadcast version of CBS getting just ad-filled sports and other scraps.
Fyi, CBS sold the new Star Trek series Canadian rights to Bell Media

Read http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/new-cb ... ell-media/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8834 posts
5827 upvotes
Global Village
tk1000 wrote: Fyi, CBS sold the new Star Trek series Canadian rights to Bell Media

Read http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/new-cb ... ell-media/
Yup, in the US if you want to watch it you'll need a CBSAA subscription so that tells you where they're going. If they want CBSAA to survive in Canada they'll have a similar strategy with key new shows here after the service launches.

Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10982 posts
2792 upvotes
Victoria
scoper wrote: Yup, in the US if you want to watch it you'll need a CBSAA subscription so that tells you where they're going. If they want CBSAA to survive in Canada they'll have a similar strategy with key new shows here after the service launches.
Is CBSAA going to be available in Canada? I doubt they'd sell the right broadcast and streaming rights to Bell if they had any intention of selling CBSAA up here.

It seems to be the trend. Streaming service for the USA, sell the rights internationally.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12714 posts
3155 upvotes
Mississauga
What happens to Star Trek: Discovery then? Currently, SPACE gets to air the first-run episodes, and then Crave gets streaming rights.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8834 posts
5827 upvotes
Global Village
zod wrote: Is CBSAA going to be available in Canada? I doubt they'd sell the right broadcast and streaming rights to Bell if they had any intention of selling CBSAA up here.

It seems to be the trend. Streaming service for the USA, sell the rights internationally.
Yes, the link the OP posted confirms CBSAA will launch in Canada by next summer.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8834 posts
5827 upvotes
Global Village
Talamasca wrote: What happens to Star Trek: Discovery then? Currently, SPACE gets to air the first-run episodes, and then Crave gets streaming rights.
The 1st season won't be available for streaming through CBSAA in Canada when it launches next year until the Bell Crave deal runs out presumably. Or both services could offer it if Crave didn't pay for Canadian exclusivity. If the show is a hit and there is a 2nd season the rights may change.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
CBS Chairman and CEO Les Moonves discusses the company's content strategy, cord cutting, competing with Amazon and Netflix, and his leadership style at Net/Net: Los Angeles.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8834 posts
5827 upvotes
Global Village
tk1000 wrote: CBS Chairman and CEO Les Moonves discusses the company's content strategy, cord cutting, competing with Amazon and Netflix, and his leadership style at Net/Net: Los Angeles.

Fascinating watch, CBS is so dwarfed in the TV content creation biz now it will be a struggle for them to survive long-term. No wonder Fox is looking to sell high and get out of this particular game.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
CBS All Access to Double Down on Original Content, Plans 6-7 Originals in Next 12 Months

“This is an arms race to get there. I don’t know that there will be 30 direct-to-consumer channels that will be out there, but it will likely be an oligopoly at the end of the day, and we want to be one of them” – CBS COO Joseph Lanniello

https://www.thevideoink.com/2018/03/06/ ... -cbs-exec/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)