None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2396 posts
662 upvotes
Toronto

Parasite

Hearing lots of great things about this Oscar winner, where and how can I steam this? I have amazon fire stick which app can I use
60 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1973 posts
1564 upvotes
Brampton
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Hearing lots of great things about this Oscar winner, where and how can I steam this? I have amazon fire stick which app can I use
To me this movie was just ok, nothing special
Banned
Dec 24, 2019
117 posts
111 upvotes
I dont get it.
I saw clips and it is not a great movie
Did it win because it is Korean SJW propaganda?

Subtitles are tiresome for entertainment
Especially TWO HOURS
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7075 posts
2699 upvotes
Canada
kopokipi wrote: To me this movie was just ok, nothing special
+1. I gave it a 6 on IMDb
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Dec 14, 2016
824 posts
730 upvotes
GTA (not the game)
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Hearing lots of great things about this Oscar winner, where and how can I steam this? I have amazon fire stick which app can I use
I'm not sure about which streaming services have it, but as mentioned in the Oscars thread, the movie is available on physical media. If you have a DVD or Blu-ray player you can check your local library to see if it's available for borrowing.

Since the reactions to the film in this thread have been negative to tepid so far, I'll offer a dissenting view for those interested.

The first thing to note is that this movie, like previous films from Bong Joon-ho, defies easy description in terms of genre. It zig zags back and forth from being a drama to a dark comedy to a suspense thriller to horror. That may sound like the story is all over the map, but that's not the case--the narrative follows an internal logic and navigates between genres quite smoothly and naturally.

Like other films from Bong, Parasite offers up bite-sized morsels of information throughout, such as a character's allergy, the location of the Kims' home, a child's supernatural encounter. There are no throwaway details--everything has significance and a role to play in the film's brilliantly constructed narrative.

As for the characters themselves, Parasite dares to do something that most mainstream Hollywood films don't. It has both wealthy and impoverished people in the same story but doesn't paint either group as being blameless innocents or outright villains.

The Kim family barely have a penny to their name on most days, so they scheme and scam their way through life to put food on the table. They're also not above jeopardizing someone else's livelihood if it means they can get something out of it.

The Park family are very well off, and while how the less fortunate get by is not at the forefront of their thoughts, they're far from being tyrannical monsters. They're very clear about the lines dividing employers from employees, but they actually talk to and treat their hired hands like the human beings that they are.

Parasite manages the trick of making its cast of characters rounded by highlighting their virtues and their faults. There are no angels, no demons. Just people.

Just as in real life, the characters in Parasite are subject to the whims of fate and to the consequences of their own actions. There are things that we can't predict in life, and the folks in this movie certainly come across twists and turns that no one could ever foresee.

All this is not to say that Parasite is a universal crowd pleaser. If your idea of a great movie is seeing a crazed killer take out hapless college kids with a riding mower or tanks being dropped from 20,000 feet getting into a dogfight then a cross-genre Korean film might not be your thing. If on the other hand a family of grifters who worm their way into a wealthy household and then have the world's nastiest curveballs thrown at them piques your interest then you definitely want to give Parasite a look.
If you're delivering a pizza to a guy, and he comes to the door naked, don't ask for a tip.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
5184 posts
3475 upvotes
Saw it right after the movie won at the Oscars. I really enjoyed it, but it's definitely not a "universal crowd pleaser". Anyone know when it will arrive on Netflix Canada?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12724 posts
3165 upvotes
Mississauga
My favourite movie of 2019 and one of the best films I've ever seen. Pretty much a near perfect masterpiece. The directing, acting, editing, music and production design are next level.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
20564 posts
9083 upvotes
Toronto
This movie was fantastic. It's great on so many different levels.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
kopokipi wrote: To me this movie was just ok, nothing special
Both the Golden Globes, BAFTA and the Oscars were stigmitized for the lack of diversity (Joaquin Phoenix). This is Hollywood's poor attempt to rectify the shortcoming.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2741 posts
889 upvotes
GTA
agreed, the movie was probably 6-7 for me. I don't get the hype for this movie.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12855 posts
2959 upvotes
Toronto
dnyc wrote: agreed, the movie was probably 6-7 for me. I don't get the hype for this movie.
I saw it and enjoyed it, but also thought it was like a 7 type of movie. But after watching a lot of the reviews and critiques of the movie, it has increased my awareness and appreciation as to why it's so highly rated. Alot of reviews on it on youtube, with detailed analysis.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12855 posts
2959 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote: My favourite movie of 2019 and one of the best films I've ever seen. Pretty much a near perfect masterpiece. The directing, acting, editing, music and production design are next level.
I think it really was a leap in the way Tarantino and Pulp Fiction made people rethink cinema. Now obviously, this Director is harder to replicate, but it shows how innovative the genre can be, and hopefully, go back to the art of film vs Monster theme parks.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2741 posts
889 upvotes
GTA
at1212b wrote: I saw it and enjoyed it, but also thought it was like a 7 type of movie. But after watching a lot of the reviews and critiques of the movie, it has increased my awareness and appreciation as to why it's so highly rated. Alot of reviews on it on youtube, with detailed analysis.
Had me intrigued so I watched some YouTube videos and see what you mean. I do appreciate the movie more having looked up some stuff about the movie.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1453 posts
123 upvotes
Trivia: identify all the parasites in the story.
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5629 posts
2697 upvotes
Toronto
I think if taken at face value, many people who watch it just think its a quirky, foreign drama/suspense/dark comedy and then move on... But there are some very cool technical/directorial flourishes that most people probably won't see until they watch it again. I really liked the movie but I enjoyed Little Women a bit more as an overall film... however, watching some of the YouTube videos really drives home how special this director is... Such as the montage scene:

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9969 posts
1900 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I liked it. I think it also makes a lot more sense if you're Korean/Asian and understand the undertones. I mean at its core it is about social inequality, but it's also a story about family, and the story of people. It reminded me of Shoplifters and even Ho's earlier movie The Host. They're all movies about various themes/social commentaries but they're also movies about a family, doing the best it can with what they have/were given by life (that includes their own lack of knowledge).
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24588 posts
34247 upvotes
Toronto
There is now an official black & white version at select cinemas. Which do people recommend I view?
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.