• Sep 26th, 2012 7:57 pm
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
128 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg

Parasites from Cuba affecting the bladder

Hi there,
I was wanting to see if anyone has any ideas or experience with Cuban parasites.
My mom went to Cuba about a year ago. Ever since she came back, she's had problems and pain with her bladder. She says she has a burning sensation and a lot of pressure with her bladder. I am not sure if she means it is constant, or only when her bladder is full. She has been put on 6 different antibiotics (successively, not at once). She feels good for a short time, and then whatever she has adapts and returns. She went for some pre-op today and is apparently going for more tests, but since whatever she has is not endemic to the region, I don't have much trust in the doctors to know what to look for.

She wonders if she might have picked something up from coconut water, but she really has no clue.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1568 posts
1342 upvotes
Etobicoke
Trust the doctors, not the people on RFD.i mean they mean well,but they are not doctors
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2698 posts
80 upvotes
Etobicoke
if she drank from a fresh coconut (meaning they cut it open infront of her) then there's no chance it came from that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9081 posts
3692 upvotes
Toronto
thepersianguy wrote: if she drank from a fresh coconut (meaning they cut it open infront of her) then there's no chance it came from that.

If the knife used to cut is not clean..

==

But we are not doctors here. Let the doctors do the investigation.
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
205 upvotes
York
A tropical disease clinic may be your best bet if you think it is directly related to something from Cuba. Dr Gamble from IHM / associated with North York General (or used to anyways, I haven't been since I moved back to Canada) is an excellent second opinion if you are looking for one. http://www.ihm.ca/

Coconut milk in itself is very sterile. It can also be used as an IV fluid http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10674546
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36400 posts
10652 upvotes
Ottawa
xxxray wrote: Trust the doctors, not the people on RFD.i mean they mean well,but they are not doctors
A reeeally reeealy big +1.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1661 posts
407 upvotes
Vancouver
She should have made sure she got the proper shots before going if she didn't already have them. She could have got something from the water, the food and many other things...
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6681 posts
1417 upvotes
sandy_beach wrote: She should have made sure she got the proper shots before going if she didn't already have them. She could have got something from the water, the food and many other things...

You can't get vaccinated against everything you could contract. In fact you can only get vaccinated against very few things. Any I can't think of any vaccines that protect against parasites.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
A Urologist appointment is her best bet.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Mar 24, 2009
627 posts
41 upvotes
Skirby01 wrote: Surely there is at least one doctor on rfd.

Probably, but there's 2 issues.

1. You don't know if they are actually a doctor or not.

2. This isn't something you want to diagnose over the internet.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6949 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Aqueya wrote: Hi there,
I was wanting to see if anyone has any ideas or experience with Cuban parasites.
My mom went to Cuba about a year ago. Ever since she came back, she's had problems and pain with her bladder. She says she has a burning sensation and a lot of pressure with her bladder. I am not sure if she means it is constant, or only when her bladder is full. She has been put on 6 different antibiotics (successively, not at once). She feels good for a short time, and then whatever she has adapts and returns. She went for some pre-op today and is apparently going for more tests, but since whatever she has is not endemic to the region, I don't have much trust in the doctors to know what to look for.

She wonders if she might have picked something up from coconut water, but she really has no clue.

Thanks.

I like how you've made up your mind about what you think it could be...
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
205 upvotes
York
It's actually becoming much more common for people to self diagnose using the internet. http://journal.lib.uoguelph.ca/index.ph ... le/244/374

Although there may be frustrations on the part of physicians with people "self-diagnosing" using the internet, there are some benefits. Members here are probably not physicians but many have travelled overseas and may have had experience with such symptoms. It seems that Aqueya's mother has tried to treat it "She has been put on 6 different antibiotics (successively, not at once).", "She went for some pre-op today and is apparently going for more tests," without success. I have a close family member who currently has a condition obtained overseas which they have been unable to diagnose here in Canada and I certainly think that after a year and a half she is really open hearing different opinions.

At best, any of the information learnt here would be brought to a registered physician. Even if someone suggested an antibiotic, it would ultimately be up to a physician to prescribe it.
Apr 4, 2006
469 posts
79 upvotes
Burlington
Aqueya wrote: Hi there,

Thanks.

I have no idea where you are located but I know Toronto General Hospital has a Travel clinic for Tropical diseases. Perhaps you can get a referral to this clinic for your Mom.

http://www.uhn.ca/Clinics_&_Services/cl ... dicine.asp
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1792 posts
203 upvotes
NeverNeverLand
This is not meant to be a joke, but it could be an STI?
Mar 17, 2009
4 posts
Aqueya, did your mom finally get a proper diagnosis and treatment? Similar case here after visit to Cuba but no coconut water involved.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2040 posts
74 upvotes
Niagara area
AlienOne wrote: Aqueya, did your mom finally get a proper diagnosis and treatment? Similar case here after visit to Cuba but no coconut water involved.
Suggest you send OP a PM if you haven't. Has not been active for months but PM will be emailed to the OP