Shopping Discussion

Parcel Shipped from Hong Kong is going to the United States first..is that normal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 11:47 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
189 posts
70 upvotes
Victoria, BC

Parcel Shipped from Hong Kong is going to the United States first..is that normal?

So apparently airmail is still not happening if you order from a Hong Kong seller and they only do surface mail now so it'll be much slower and it basically travels by sea.

The seller sent me a tracking number but it says it goes to the United States first cause he said there's no ports in Canada where it can go directly so it goes to the states before it reaches where i'm at in BC...

I've never had a parcel shipped by surface mail before but is this normal?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21742 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Slow boat from China ...
Literally

Crazy Covid times

Anything is possible

Yours is not the first parcel that’s making its way to Canada via whatever means are possible

And it won’t be the last

I say, be grateful
Cuz at least yours is MOVING

Lots of fellow RFDers still reporting items still stuck overseas in Asia Pacific Nations that haven’t moved since March

And BONUS it appears you have tracking too ... not everyone is getting much of that
Their parcels just last recorded AWAITING TRANSPORTATION TO CANADA ...
and then falls off the radar

Check out these other RFD threads to see / read stories

mail-processing-canada-customs-slow-711375/
canada-post-really-backed-up-2369864/
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
189 posts
70 upvotes
Victoria, BC
thanks for letting me know. i just thought it was kind of weird that it was going to the united states first before getting here but yeah, i'm glad i have the tracking number...sucks to hear that it literally takes almost 2-3 months to get here based on the responses in those threads.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
189 posts
70 upvotes
Victoria, BC
PointsHubby wrote: Slow boat from China ...
Literally

Crazy Covid times

Anything is possible

Yours is not the first parcel that’s making its way to Canada via whatever means are possible

And it won’t be the last

I say, be grateful
Cuz at least yours is MOVING

Lots of fellow RFDers still reporting items still stuck overseas in Asia Pacific Nations that haven’t moved since March

And BONUS it appears you have tracking too ... not everyone is getting much of that
Their parcels just last recorded AWAITING TRANSPORTATION TO CANADA ...
and then falls off the radar

Check out these other RFD threads to see / read stories

mail-processing-canada-customs-slow-711375/
canada-post-really-backed-up-2369864/
thanks for letting me know. i just thought it was kind of weird that it was going to the united states first before getting here but yeah, i'm glad i have the tracking number...sucks to hear that it literally takes almost 2-3 months to get here based on the responses in those threads.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1342 posts
917 upvotes
London, On
As PH says. No, it's not normal, but these aren't normal times. Although I'm sure the Port of Vancouver would be surprised to hear there are no ports that can handle anything coming in from China. This Thursday will be 3 months since my hand sanitizer shipped, and 6 weeks after that was when it supposedly left either Hong Kong or Singapore for Canada. I did manage to get a refund from Amazon in late June, and now I'm curious if the shipment will get stopped along the way if it actually gets to Canada Post, or if it will still come to me.
Jan 22, 2017
556 posts
1594 upvotes
You gotta make sure all the freedom is out of the package before it comes to Canada!
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1082 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
Makes sense going to US. Port in LA has much greater capacity and frequent shipment from Asia than Vancouver and it actually gets to you faster. Local vessel loading time is 1-2 weeks and another 21-23 days on sea. Takes 2-3 days to unload off the vessel. This is standard coming over to NA from Asia. What makes difference is after your parcel gets offloaded. In Canada, you parcel will go through CBSA in Vancouver which takes 2-3 days without further inspection. Then it will wait for CP to pick up which where the bottle neck is. It can take at least 2 weeks to 8 weeks to process from its centre and distribute nationally.

Where as shipment coming from US, CBP clears shipment from port in 2-4 days then they will load on to truck and head over to Vancouver for west (2 days) and Toronto for east (3 days). All shipment will be clear from the US CBSA centre which is a lot faster and gets to CP local sorting facilities in Vancouver and Toronto and get out the next day if no further delays. So you may get your parcel in 45 days by routing to US or min. 60+ days from Vancouver port.

Currently I am consolidating all my parcel in China and have them shipped all at once with freight forwarder. They collected and inspected all parcel for package damage. They bought whole container directly coming to Toronto so I will be sure all parcel will be received by me. Container goes on train from Vancouver to Toronto once cleared by CBSA and another custom clearance in Toronto before releasing to me. It skipped all the non sense wait from CP. so far my parcels arrived in between 45 days to 50 days.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
189 posts
70 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Inclemental wrote: Makes sense going to US. Port in LA has much greater capacity and frequent shipment from Asia than Vancouver and it actually gets to you faster. Local vessel loading time is 1-2 weeks and another 21-23 days on sea. Takes 2-3 days to unload off the vessel. This is standard coming over to NA from Asia. What makes difference is after your parcel gets offloaded. In Canada, you parcel will go through CBSA in Vancouver which takes 2-3 days without further inspection. Then it will wait for CP to pick up which where the bottle neck is. It can take at least 2 weeks to 8 weeks to process from its centre and distribute nationally.

Where as shipment coming from US, CBP clears shipment from port in 2-4 days then they will load on to truck and head over to Vancouver for west (2 days) and Toronto for east (3 days). All shipment will be clear from the US CBSA centre which is a lot faster and gets to CP local sorting facilities in Vancouver and Toronto and get out the next day if no further delays. So you may get your parcel in 45 days by routing to US or min. 60+ days from Vancouver port.

Currently I am consolidating all my parcel in China and have them shipped all at once with freight forwarder. They collected and inspected all parcel for package damage. They bought whole container directly coming to Toronto so I will be sure all parcel will be received by me. Container goes on train from Vancouver to Toronto once cleared by CBSA and another custom clearance in Toronto before releasing to me. It skipped all the non sense wait from CP. so far my parcels arrived in between 45 days to 50 days.
i had no idea how many ways it can get here by boat..although i bought this off ebay, funny enough one seller from hong kong shows the destination is in the US and the other shows the destination to Canada so they must be shipping it differently..most sellers aren't selling anything to us at all until airmail is back. It still confuses me why the post office there feels it's unsafe to allow air delivery but they think shipping by surface is any safer..

and to be honest, i thought the package should get here longer if it goes to the US first considering it's going to another international country..i just hope that all goes well. when i looked at tracking, it's day 39 in transit
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2158 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
In normal times nothing would surprise me, nevermind now.

A couple of years ago I sent a parcel to Australia via Italy.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
1291 posts
1216 upvotes
Land of Oil & Ga…
I had a packaged shipped using DHL Express from Hong Kong to Alberta in June, and it went straight to DHL's Cincinnati hub first, before making it's way to Alberta.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1082 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
mdb1983 wrote: It still confuses me why the post office there feels it's unsafe to allow air delivery but they think shipping by surface is any safer..
It’s not safety issue. It’s cost and availability. The cost of shipping by sea is almost next to nothing. Price went up ~20% but it was still relatively cheap. There are a lot of container shipment leaving from 4-5 ports in HK and 4 other cities in China each week to Canada/US. Your parcel is guaranteed to be shipped within 2 weeks once it’s loaded onto a container. This route hasn’t been affected by COVID 19 at all.

We used to have at least 20 commercial flight with cargo coming to Canada each day. Due to grounding all passengers flight to Canada/US in March. It’s virtually impossible to have your parcel schedule to load onto a plane. Then airline converting all flight to cargo only in May but flying 1-2 flight per week. Since PPE were most demanded goods from China to Canada. No way any other parcel would be able to come over by air. My last air shipment in April was routed to 4 different cities in China and multiple attempts to load onto the plane. It finally left China after 3 weeks.

Since availability is very limited, air flight cost went rocket high. It costed me $15/kg before Christmas. In April, it was $60/kg. Then last month was $90/kg.

Your eBay/aliexpress seller paid min. to use postal service instead of courier service. No way local postal will provide you any airship.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2014
189 posts
70 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Inclemental wrote: It’s not safety issue. It’s cost and availability. The cost of shipping by sea is almost next to nothing. Price went up ~20% but it was still relatively cheap. There are a lot of container shipment leaving from 4-5 ports in HK and 4 other cities in China each week to Canada/US. Your parcel is guaranteed to be shipped within 2 weeks once it’s loaded onto a container. This route hasn’t been affected by COVID 19 at all.

We used to have at least 20 commercial flight with cargo coming to Canada each day. Due to grounding all passengers flight to Canada/US in March. It’s virtually impossible to have your parcel schedule to load onto a plane. Then airline converting all flight to cargo only in May but flying 1-2 flight per week. Since PPE were most demanded goods from China to Canada. No way any other parcel would be able to come over by air. My last air shipment in April was routed to 4 different cities in China and multiple attempts to load onto the plane. It finally left China after 3 weeks.

Since availability is very limited, air flight cost went rocket high. It costed me $15/kg before Christmas. In April, it was $60/kg. Then last month was $90/kg.

Your eBay/aliexpress seller paid min. to use postal service instead of courier service. No way local postal will provide you any airship.
oh that makes more sense now. from what i heard though there doesn't seem to be an issue with airmailing stuff from here to china but it's the postal courier in hong kong that stopped doing regular airmail from there to here since march. but that does make sense when you ban international travel by plane that parcel delivery from that method is gonna be halted too...although hong kong post did started doing speedpost again with the united states so maybe they will start allowing airmail again. but most of the sellers in china no longer post any sales for canadians because they think no one would bother with seamail..and since it takes nearly 2-3 months to get here, that explains it..i just hope this isn't going to be long term Neutral Face