Parental Benefits and returning to work early

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1596 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto

Parental Benefits and returning to work early

I am trying to understand how EI works if my wife decides to return to work early from parental leave. We are planning to go with the 'standard' option (35+5 wks) to split between us.

What happens if my wife applies for the full 35 weeks of parental benefits but then decides to return to work say after 24 weeks? Do we just notify Service Canada when she goes back to work? And does this mean I can use up the remaining portion of 16 weeks (40-24) or do we "lose" the 35 weeks and I can only take a maximum of 5?
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2160 posts
193 upvotes
You can call Service Canada when you wife returns to work to stop her benefits. Parental benefits can be shared among parents, so you can also extend parental benefits (elect to take) the remaining weeks that are available.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Oct 24, 2010
871 posts
663 upvotes
Ottawa
Wilmega wrote: You can call Service Canada when you wife returns to work to stop her benefits. Parental benefits can be shared among parents, so you can also extend parental benefits (elect to take) the remaining weeks that are available.
But note that you have to submit your own application once you're off work. It will take Service Canada 4 weeks to process your application, but you will be paid retroactively to the day you applied (unlike your wife, whose first week off work would not have been paid as there is a 1 week holding period for parent #1).
Oct 25, 2017
3 posts
Hope you don’t mind piggybacking on this thread as I am returning to work early and am wondering the same as well as whether there can be a week gap from my end and husbands beginning of leave - Mine ending oct 24th while his starts oct 31st. Does it need to be continuous?