• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2020 11:42 pm
[OP]
Jul 25, 2015
693 posts
343 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

Is parental leave prorated.

I have been reading on the government site but there is no mention of this. Is parental leave prorated?

Say I've got the parental leave for only13 months out of the 18 months extended. Does that mean I will get paid the prorated amount, somewhere in between the 55 and 33%? Or is it standard, one or the other?

We messed up a bit on the weeks and now getting the 33% but not doing the full 18 month period. Is it possible to change from extended to regular 52 weeks? If someone has done it, what would the steps be for that.
3 replies
Dec 22, 2016
375 posts
328 upvotes
SW Ontario
From what I understand is that as soon as you choose over the 12 month time frame it goes to 33%. If you plan on taking 13 months your payments are 33% even though its not the full 18.
Jan 20, 2012
811 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
It’s 33% once you choose and start the extended parental leaves. You will get pay up to when you go back to work or max time. If you go back to work early, you lose whatever remains.

You can still change during maternity leaves, but once parental leaves kicks in, you are stuck.
[OP]
Jul 25, 2015
693 posts
343 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Even though I opted for 13 months, can I still change it to the full 18 months? So just extending the date I will be going back to work. Might as well enjoy the extra 5 months.