Travel

Parents of kids that travelled / will travel soon to USA i need your help v. New CDC requirements

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2021 2:02 pm
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
155 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax, ON

Parents of kids that travelled / will travel soon to USA i need your help v. New CDC requirements

So, now that 5-11 is approved it seems that CDC has changed the requirements for travelling to USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ravel.html

It states the following

1)

Testing REQUIRED

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show one of the following:

If you are fully vaccinated: Proof of vaccination and a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 3 days before travel.
If you are NOT fully vaccinated and meet the criteria for an exception for the requirement for proof of COVID-19 vaccination: A negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. (this is where kids under 18 fall under)
Children under 2 years old do not need to test. There is also an option for people who have documented recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days. Learn more about these requirements.

Then upon arrival to USA, you need to do this

If you are not fully vaccinated and allowed to travel to the United States by air through an exception
REQUIRED
Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after arrival, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.
Stay at home or in your hotel room and self-quarantine for a full 7 days, even if you test negative, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.
Isolate if your test result is positive or you develop COVID-19 symptoms.
If you intend to stay in the United States for 60 days or longer, you must become fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within 60 days of arriving in the United States or as soon as medically appropriate, unless you have a medical contraindication or are too young to be vaccinated.

Am i reading this correctly?

Basically, if kids are NOT vaccinated, you have to test and isolate upon arrival in USA?
41 replies
Sep 23, 2013
571 posts
617 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
wow. this is a complete 180 from what I just experienced travelling to the States with my family (Nov 1-12)

The testing adjustment from 3 days to 1 day is moot now with the required 7-day isolation. I interpret everything on the cdc pages as you summarize above. Unfortunately, I think the instructions are pretty clear and I'm surprised there hasnt been any media coverage on this update.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
155 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax, ON
hartzfizzo wrote: wow. this is a complete 180 from what I just experienced travelling to the States with my family (Nov 1-12)

The testing adjustment from 3 days to 1 day is moot now with the required 7-day isolation. I interpret everything on the cdc pages as you summarize above. Unfortunately, I think the instructions are pretty clear and I'm surprised there hasnt been any media coverage on this update.
Thats what I was thinking!!

This is a HUGE change!!1 1 day test BEFORE is actually crazy, BUT the fact that 1) you need to test again and 2) Isolate for 7 days EVEN if you test negative is INSANE!!! This basically makes it crazy inconvenient
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4983 posts
1595 upvotes
Mississauga
1 day before travel is not crazy. Antigen results come back within 30min. When you go to Shoppers to get tested, they give you the results while you wait. Finding a 2nd test in the states is a bit more annoying. I would just order a telehealth test from Switch Health for $80 (2 pack) and do it remotely.

The quarantine part is a bit annoying. I honestly don't recommend anyone to travel at this point if you are not vaccinated.

Also, you prob. need a PCR test as well if you're leaving from a Canadian airport.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
155 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax, ON
GateGuardian wrote: 1 day before travel is not crazy. Antigen results come back within 30min. When you go to Shoppers to get tested, they give you the results while you wait. Finding a 2nd test in the states is a bit more annoying. I would just order a telehealth test from Switch Health for $80 (2 pack) and do it remotely.

The quarantine part is a bit annoying. I honestly don't recommend anyone to travel at this point if you are not vaccinated.

Also, you prob. need a PCR test as well if you're leaving from a Canadian airport.
wait, what?

Why do you need PCR leaving from canada? Since when?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2647 posts
1868 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Vako636 wrote: So, now that 5-11 is approved it seems that CDC has changed the requirements for travelling to USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ravel.html

It states the following

1)

Testing REQUIRED

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show one of the following:

If you are fully vaccinated: Proof of vaccination and a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 3 days before travel.
If you are NOT fully vaccinated and meet the criteria for an exception for the requirement for proof of COVID-19 vaccination: A negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. (this is where kids under 18 fall under)
Children under 2 years old do not need to test. There is also an option for people who have documented recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days. Learn more about these requirements.

Then upon arrival to USA, you need to do this

If you are not fully vaccinated and allowed to travel to the United States by air through an exception
REQUIRED
Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after arrival, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.
Stay at home or in your hotel room and self-quarantine for a full 7 days, even if you test negative, unless you have documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days.
Isolate if your test result is positive or you develop COVID-19 symptoms.
If you intend to stay in the United States for 60 days or longer, you must become fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within 60 days of arriving in the United States or as soon as medically appropriate, unless you have a medical contraindication or are too young to be vaccinated.

Am i reading this correctly?

Basically, if kids are NOT vaccinated, you have to test and isolate upon arrival in USA?
From what I understand (for flying from Canada):

Unvaccinated kids (under 12) can still obtain a covid test within 72 hours as long as they are travelling with vaccinated parents/legal guardians.

I don’t know where that info is from but are you sure that info is intended for foreigners travelling to the USA (not American citizens/residents). Def no quarantine and no pcr test needed to board a flight (antigen).
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
155 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax, ON
BrunetteGirl wrote: From what I understand (for flying from Canada):

Unvaccinated kids (under 12) can still obtain a covid test within 72 hours as long as they are travelling with vaccinated parents/legal guardians.

I don’t know where that info is from but are you sure that info is intended for foreigners travelling to the USA (not American citizens/residents). Def no quarantine and no pcr test needed to board a flight (antigen).
Thats why Im confused by these new rules updated as of NOV 19 on CDC. We went to Florida in august and I didnt have to do anything except Antigen 72 hours before
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4983 posts
1595 upvotes
Mississauga
Vako636 wrote: wait, what?

Why do you need PCR leaving from canada? Since when?
You need to be vaccinated or have PCR test in order to board a flight departing from Canada. If your kids are under 12. Then you're ok for now.

Mandatory vaccination to board
If you’re 12 years of age plus 4 months, or older, you’ll need to be fully vaccinated in order to board:

domestic or international flights departing from most airports in Canada, including charter and foreign airlines carrying commercial passengers
Medevac flights are excluded, regardless of where they depart or land
Private flights that don't require access to airports with a vaccination requirement are excluded
VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains
Contact your airline or railway company about their boarding requirements and refund policies.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
155 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax, ON
GateGuardian wrote: You need to be vaccinated or have PCR test in order to board a flight departing from Canada. If your kids are under 12. Then you're ok for now.

Mandatory vaccination to board
If you’re 12 years of age plus 4 months, or older, you’ll need to be fully vaccinated in order to board:

domestic or international flights departing from most airports in Canada, including charter and foreign airlines carrying commercial passengers
Medevac flights are excluded, regardless of where they depart or land
Private flights that don't require access to airports with a vaccination requirement are excluded
VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains
Contact your airline or railway company about their boarding requirements and refund policies.
Can you provide me a link by any chance? I dont see a SINGLE thing where it says you need PCR to leave. Only PCR for ARRIVALS back to Canada
Sep 23, 2013
571 posts
617 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
On my recent outbound trip to the states, i continually checked westjet and canada travel websites prior to leaving, i called customer service 3x verifying that my planned antigen testing, not pcr, was accepted. I thought i was good.

But upon checking in at the airport, i received quite the scare. The agent said it had to be pcr only, the agent beside her said pcr only, she called her support team, they said pcr only. I thought i was done. Somehow, some way, another support person corrected everyone and said antigen was fine. So we were able to board. But man, that was scary and im sure im not the only one who had experienced that.

If i were to go again, i would go with pcr to avoid any similar heartaches. But with the change from 72hrs to 24hrs, I mean, how much would that even cost?
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
155 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax, ON
hartzfizzo wrote: On my recent outbound trip to the states, i continually checked westjet and canada travel websites prior to leaving, i called customer service 3x verifying that my planned antigen testing, not pcr, was accepted. I thought i was good.

But upon checking in at the airport, i received quite the scare. The agent said it had to be pcr only, the agent beside her said pcr only, she called her support team, they said pcr only. I thought i was done. Somehow, some way, another support person corrected everyone and said antigen was fine. So we were able to board. But man, that was scary and im sure im not the only one who had experienced that.

If i were to go again, i would go with pcr to avoid any similar heartaches. But with the change from 72hrs to 24hrs, I mean, how much would that even cost?
I would dominate them!!!

AS PER CDC

You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.
Sep 16, 2014
102 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
And kids only travelling alone that are unvaccinated are required to get tested and day before

Unvaccinated kids travelling along with fully vaccinated adults can get tested before three days as usual
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1002 posts
478 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
hartzfizzo wrote: On my recent outbound trip to the states, i continually checked westjet and canada travel websites prior to leaving, i called customer service 3x verifying that my planned antigen testing, not pcr, was accepted. I thought i was good.

This is unfortunate. In October when I went to the USA I just got the antigen test at Shoppers, uploaded my result at check-in and that was it. The agent didn't ask to see anything else.

I know rules are changing quickly but I would hope the check-in agents know the rules.
Sep 7, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
Yes, its confusing messages !!
https://www.nafsa.org/regulatory-inform ... us-entry-0
this clearly states that
Children under 18 are excepted from the vaccination requirement for foreign national travelers, given both the ineligibility of some younger children for vaccination, as well as the global variability in access to vaccination for older children who are eligible to be vaccinated.
Children between the ages of 2 and 17 are required to take a pre-departure test.
If traveling with a fully vaccinated adult, an unvaccinated child can test three days prior to departure (consistent with the timeline for fully vaccinated adults). If an unvaccinated child is traveling alone or with unvaccinated adults, they will have to test within one day of departure."
Sep 23, 2013
571 posts
617 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Unfortunately it wasnt the USA entry requirements that were the hurdle, because its rather clear that antigen was acceptable. The problem for me was Westjet’s own policy for travellers. The messaging i got from the website, which was updated quite regularly leading up to my flight date, wasnt clear. Hence the multiple calls to customer service.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
155 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax, ON
hartzfizzo wrote: Unfortunately it wasnt the USA entry requirements that were the hurdle, because its rather clear that antigen was acceptable. The problem for me was Westjet’s own policy for travellers. The messaging i got from the website, which was updated quite regularly leading up to my flight date, wasnt clear. Hence the multiple calls to customer service.
Really? Wow, Westjet is weird. When I flew to Florida in August with my family, NO one and i mean NO ONE checked our Covid test. Not Westjet, not American border, not Pearson
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4983 posts
1595 upvotes
Mississauga
Vako636 wrote: Really? Wow, Westjet is weird. When I flew to Florida in August with my family, NO one and i mean NO ONE checked our Covid test. Not Westjet, not American border, not Pearson
and this is wrong on Westjet's part, they could get fined for it.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2015
155 posts
129 upvotes
Ajax, ON
GateGuardian wrote: and this is wrong on Westjet's part, they could get fined for it.
100%. I was actually pretty shocked. This was kind of the beginning of reopening, so it was frustrating that they didn't check