[OP]
Apr 1, 2013
486 posts
104 upvotes
Ontario

Parents sending COVID-19 child to day care and infect other kids

So selfish !!

https://www.cp24.com/news/vaughan-paren ... -1.5548617

A Vaughan parent has been handed a hefty fine after York Region Public Health alleges they sent their child who was experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 to daycare, a spokesperson for the region confirmed to CP24.

According to York Region Public Health, the incident occurred on Aug. 3 at a child-care facility in the region.

They allege that the parent violated the region’s Sec. 22 order by sending their child to daycare despite the fact that they would not have passed the daily COVID-19 screening tool.

PHOTOS
daycare, file
The parent was subsequently charged $770 and a victim surcharge fee totalling $880.

Officials confirm that 15 children at facility have now tested positive for COVID-19.
47 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5556 posts
1775 upvotes
Toronto
chekacr9 wrote: So selfish !!

https://www.cp24.com/news/vaughan-paren ... -1.5548617

A Vaughan parent has been handed a hefty fine after York Region Public Health alleges they sent their child who was experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 to daycare, a spokesperson for the region confirmed to CP24.

According to York Region Public Health, the incident occurred on Aug. 3 at a child-care facility in the region.

They allege that the parent violated the region’s Sec. 22 order by sending their child to daycare despite the fact that they would not have passed the daily COVID-19 screening tool.

PHOTOS
daycare, file
The parent was subsequently charged $770 and a victim surcharge fee totalling $880.

Officials confirm that 15 children at facility have now tested positive for COVID-19.
That's a hefty fine? It's barely even a slap.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
$880 fine is so little.
This parent should be banned for this day care and pay all affected families for having to stay home with their children and miss to go to work + their mental health consequences.

When the consequences is too little, people take a chance,
Just like a $20 parking ticket, when the parking fee is $15. The driver will take a chance not to pay for parking fee, even he got nailed, it is only $5 more.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Feb 26, 2005
237 posts
113 upvotes
London
These fines need to be multiplied by at least 10 to start getting people to make better decisions when it comes to covid.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13073 posts
8319 upvotes
Markham
Just fine?

I guess more this type thing will happen especially after back to office. Worst case scenario for some people is just lost a couple days paycheque

Drunk driving can go to jail, why not this
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3525 posts
1638 upvotes
Ottawa
smartie wrote: Just fine?

I guess more this type thing will happen especially after back to office. Worst case scenario for some people is just lost a couple days paycheque

Drunk driving can go to jail, why not this
Because if the parents go to jail, the kids need to be sent somewhere... like a daycare.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13073 posts
8319 upvotes
Markham
Akitakara wrote: Because if the parents go to jail, the kids need to be sent somewhere... like a daycare.
Ok, wait for more such cases
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15006 posts
11534 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
OH WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Banned
Jun 21, 2021
59 posts
36 upvotes
I'm confused why posters above are angry at the parent, and want them to be fined 10x the amount? The only person(s) you should be angry at are the governments and employers:

Employers are forcing people to go back to work. So if the parents have to go to work, what are they supposed to do if the kid has the sniffles? Also I thought the vaccine is our saving grace? Government is sending works back into the office, they are changing the rules so that if you've been vaccinated and are exposed to covid you don't need to isolate....

Pandemic is over!

point is, it's easier said than done, when it come to kids! but yes they should have kept kid home if they were displaying signs of being sick... Welcome to our future. Pandemic is not even over yet, but we are in a rush to open!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6599 posts
6077 upvotes
Something is not adding up here. What does this mean "sending their child to daycare despite the fact that they would not have passed the daily COVID-19 screening tool" - who is administering this tool? Did the parent use it or not? If yes, then why did the daycare allow entry? If not, why didn't the daycare make it mandatory? The daycare should be doing a physical check upon entry. It seems to be the daycare should also be held accountable.

I also disagree with making the fine higher. To me, the parent probably felt forced to send their kid to daycare because of work - so what's the answer, put them into more debt possibly? Jail? Honestly people - stop being so short-sighted with your shaming and punitive attitudes.
Last edited by hierophant on Aug 16th, 2021 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Jun 21, 2021
59 posts
36 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Something is not adding up here. What does this mean "sending their child to daycare despite the fact that they would not have passed the daily COVID-19 screening tool" - who is administering this tool? Did the parent use it or not? If yes, then why did the daycare allow entry? It seems to be the daycare should also be held accountable.

I also disagree with making the fine higher. To me, the parent probably felt forced to send their kid to daycare because of work - so what's the answer, put them into more debt possibly? Jail? Honestly people - stop being so short-sighted with your shaming and punitive attitudes.
yes the day care also messed up
i believe the process now is if kid comes in, and starts to display symptoms in the day care they will attempt to isolate the child from the other ones and send them home..
so it seems like the parents are being blamed, but, also, your kid could be fine up to the point you drop them off at 8am, only for the kid to get a runny nose at 11am.... well they were already asymptomatic and everyones infected.. then they became symptomatic..

if the day care noticed kid was sick when the kid was dropped off, then they are responsible for not sending the kid home (or attempting to).

this is to much sensationalism and finger pointing and going to make neighbors fight each other over stupidity.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26728 posts
5863 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Something is not adding up here. What does this mean "sending their child to daycare despite the fact that they would not have passed the daily COVID-19 screening tool" - who is administering this tool? Did the parent use it or not? If yes, then why did the daycare allow entry? If not, why didn't the daycare make it mandatory? The daycare should be doing a physical check upon entry. It seems to be the daycare should also be held accountable.

It adds up just fine. It's a self screening tool. The parents are supposed to go through the list of symptoms and if their child has any, the kid is supposed to stay home. I don't know the details of course, but obviously it's being alleged that the parents chose to ignore the self screening tool. The daycare would have no idea if they ignored it or not. It's the same with schools. It's based on the honour system.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7227 posts
2260 upvotes
0 downvotes
Akitakara wrote: Because if the parents go to jail, the kids need to be sent somewhere... like a daycare.
they go to Catholic Children's Aid
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3651 posts
1394 upvotes
Woodbridge
This happened weekly, at least, this past school year. We'd have kids in the isolation room with this symptom or that symptom and several of them actually said that they told their parents they weren't feeling well but their parents sent them to school anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6599 posts
6077 upvotes
Shaner wrote: It adds up just fine. It's a self screening tool. The parents are supposed to go through the list of symptoms and if their child has any, the kid is supposed to stay home. I don't know the details of course, but obviously it's being alleged that the parents chose to ignore the self screening tool. The daycare would have no idea if they ignored it or not. It's the same with schools. It's based on the honour system.
Disagree. Many of the places I visit do a physical check such a temperature - extra care diligence is required by facilities operating as a daycare to prevent this very issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3651 posts
1394 upvotes
Woodbridge
hierophant wrote: Disagree. Many of the places I visit do a physical check such a temperature - extra care diligence is required by facilities operating as a daycare to prevent this very issue.
I'm not sure if daycares have different policies because they have fewer children, but I can tell you that we did no screening at school whatsoever. It was assumed that parents screened at home. High school students had to complete a York Region Public Health screening tool daily, as did all staff, using our school board Google accounts which logged our responses. That tool has since been replaced by the provincial tool which doesn't need to be shown to anyone and isn't recorded anywhere.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26728 posts
5863 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Disagree. Many of the places I visit do a physical check such a temperature - extra care diligence is required by facilities operating as a daycare to prevent this very issue.
Temperature check is a complete waste of time. It's not an effective screening tool whatsoever. It's just window dressing. My son has never had a fever in his life, no matter how sick he was. Other kids get fevers constantly.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
A small price for a VIP(as they call them in Europe) of Vaughan to pay.
When you have money and the World revolves around you, the rules that apply to the peasants don't apply to the aristocrats do they?
Many on RFD can identify.
I have more money, material possessions, higher status in society therefore I'm better....
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2229 posts
1755 upvotes
Such a selfish thing to do - putting the children, teachers and everyone related at health and financial risk. All because one parent don't want to take a day off. SMH.

And the checks are useless. The useful check (survey) is done by the parents and we see what happens here when it's up to entitled people. The temp check is useless, not to mention most daycares are already under financial constraints so you get these mickey mouse aliexpress temp guns that's only for show.

I see parents dropping off kids without masks, not having kids wear masks..it's total disrespect. My now 4yo wears one all day everyday since day one and he's the only one. We have no choice but to send him to JK comes September, it's going to be a complete shitshow and I'm pretty worried.
Banned
Jun 21, 2021
59 posts
36 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: This happened weekly, at least, this past school year. We'd have kids in the isolation room with this symptom or that symptom and several of them actually said that they told their parents they weren't feeling well but their parents sent them to school anyway.
yeah so every time boy cries wolf, they going to answer?
(hypothetical).

anyway, interesting future to come.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)